M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-09-2019, 04:31 AM   #23
umz
New Member
United Kingdom
5
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 F10
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
Really sorry to hear this and absolutely gutted for you too.

1. I recall you said you bought it privately - how long did the previous owner have the car for?
2. How old is the car?
3. When and where was the last service carried out?

33k miles is still reasonably low if it's over 3 years old. If it was just outside the manufacturers warranty and serviced at the correct intervals by BMW dealerships (including having the running in service performed on time) I'd suggest trying BMW to see if they may help in any way with a goodwill claim. Not a great deal to lose, other than some diagnostic time - surely it doesn't hurt to have a second opinion?

Sadly buying a car privately is one of the riskiest ways to buy an expensive car. What was the private seller like? Did everything seem legit, in terms of where they lived, the details on the logbook, what car they were buying next?

Try putting their phone number into google to see if they are advertising any other cars. Or do an AutoTrader search using their post code and cars within 1 mile. Do any of the cars have photos taken in the same spot as your car?
It's a really long shot but if you find they're advertising other cars and are an 'at home trader' you may possibly be able to get trading standards involved.

The only other option, other than breaking it is to look at a reconditioned engine. I've seen some sellers on eBay advertise them for about 10k fitted. Yes it's a lot of cash and you probably won't be able to get a warranty on the car after it but it may mean you lose less money.

All the best, hope you manage to get this sorted or recoup more of what you put in.
Thank you for your response.

1. Previous owner had the car for 3 years
2. Its a 63 plate - 2013
3. Last service was at 26K or 28K iirc (car was showing the next service is due in 1400 miles)

Need to re-look the paperwork, not exactly sure where the last service was carried out. Tbh, i dont think BMW would even help, they were reluctant to talk to me when i asked for their support in the first instance.

You are right about the risk of buying privately, this guy was legit, seen his home, even went in. no other cars, he wanted a C63 next.

I have thought about a reconditioned engine, however the same risk applies. it could go anytime, you dont know how well looked after it is etc.

It is what it is i guess. Just bad luck i guess.

What are prices of Non-Runner M5's. I mean, mine is in pristine condition par it not running obviously...:|
Appreciate 1
OneExtra530.50

      10-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #24
C320
Second Lieutenant
C320's Avatar
United Kingdom
78
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: F30 320d, F86 X6 M, W203 C320
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by umz View Post
Thank you for your response.

1. Previous owner had the car for 3 years
2. Its a 63 plate - 2013
3. Last service was at 26K or 28K iirc (car was showing the next service is due in 1400 miles)

Need to re-look the paperwork, not exactly sure where the last service was carried out. Tbh, i dont think BMW would even help, they were reluctant to talk to me when i asked for their support in the first instance.

You are right about the risk of buying privately, this guy was legit, seen his home, even went in. no other cars, he wanted a C63 next.

I have thought about a reconditioned engine, however the same risk applies. it could go anytime, you dont know how well looked after it is etc.

It is what it is i guess. Just bad luck i guess.

What are prices of Non-Runner M5's. I mean, mine is in pristine condition par it not running obviously...:|
TBH, I'm not sure how much it's worth as a non-runner. I guess it won't be far off what you paid minus the cost of a replacement engine.

It's a horrible place to be considering you've not even had it a week. I'd be inclined to try the following:

1. get a refurb engine fitted - have a look online, most refurb engines would come with a 6-12 month warranty on the engine, so a little piece of mind
2. book it in with BMW, and then try to push for a good will contribution considering it has a full history despite being 6 years old as it has such low mileage (although you're likely to end up spending quite a bit more than option 1 - you'd end up with a brand new engine). So long as the previous service history is all in order (the running in service is extremely vital) then you should have a reasonable chance of getting some help. They won't commit to anything over the telephone. You would need to fight / pursue this to get anywhere.

If you do buy one again, make sure the first thing you buy for it is the BMW/Mondial warranty.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra530.50

      10-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #25
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
789
Rep
1,603
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by umz View Post
Thank you for your response.

1. Previous owner had the car for 3 years
2. Its a 63 plate - 2013
3. Last service was at 26K or 28K iirc (car was showing the next service is due in 1400 miles)

Need to re-look the paperwork, not exactly sure where the last service was carried out. Tbh, i dont think BMW would even help, they were reluctant to talk to me when i asked for their support in the first instance.

You are right about the risk of buying privately, this guy was legit, seen his home, even went in. no other cars, he wanted a C63 next.

I have thought about a reconditioned engine, however the same risk applies. it could go anytime, you dont know how well looked after it is etc.

It is what it is i guess. Just bad luck i guess.

What are prices of Non-Runner M5's. I mean, mine is in pristine condition par it not running obviously...:|
I'd get a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #26
C320
Second Lieutenant
C320's Avatar
United Kingdom
78
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: F30 320d, F86 X6 M, W203 C320
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I'd get a second opinion.
+1 absolutely

Given the sums of money involved Id seriously consider taking it into a BMW main dealer for their opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #27
Dwaynos
Lieutenant
Dwaynos's Avatar
United Kingdom
191
Rep
575
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I'd get a second opinion.
A seized engine is not a hard diagnosis. One of the rod bearings has likely spun, locking the crank solid.

I did see copper particles mentioned, however, I'm sure the bearings in the s63 do not contain copper.

I'm sure they would be willing to show you their attempt at turning the engine with a ratchet.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #28
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
789
Rep
1,603
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
A seized engine is not a hard diagnosis. One of the rod bearings has likely spun, locking the crank solid.

I did see copper particles mentioned, however, I'm sure the bearings in the s63 do not contain copper.

I'm sure they would be willing to show you their attempt at turning the engine with a ratchet.
I remember you saying that when you were changing your r/bearings that there was no copper present in the still fine old ones and indeed the new ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:49 AM   #29
Dwaynos
Lieutenant
Dwaynos's Avatar
United Kingdom
191
Rep
575
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I remember you saying that when you were changing your r/bearings that there was no copper present in the still fine old ones and indeed the new ones.
To my knowledge bmw stopped using copper after the e60 m5 and e92 m3 bearings. In the later m3 they changed the material and It looks like they use the same in the s63.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:22 AM   #30
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
789
Rep
1,603
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
To my knowledge bmw stopped using copper after the e60 m5 and e92 m3 bearings. In the later m3 they changed the material and It looks like they use the same in the s63.
Just wondering where elsewhere in the engine the copper shards could have come from.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #31
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
531
Rep
1,346
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

What an awful experience I am really sorry to hear this.

Did he have the car tuned I wonder or did he change the oil every 20,000 or more often

What would cause the engine to do this?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:47 AM   #32
Dwaynos
Lieutenant
Dwaynos's Avatar
United Kingdom
191
Rep
575
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
What an awful experience I am really sorry to hear this.

Did he have the car tuned I wonder or did he change the oil every 20,000 or more often

What would cause the engine to do this?
It will have spun a rod bearing, most likely due to infrequent oil changes, I.e. changing the oil when the I-drive asks.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra530.50

      10-11-2019, 03:24 AM   #33
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
531
Rep
1,346
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
It will have spun a rod bearing, most likely due to infrequent oil changes, I.e. changing the oil when the I-drive asks.
That's a concern or an unknown concern for a lot of buyers who buy cars 4+ years old I can imagine, plus not letting the car warm up enough.

Will keep changing my oil every year and 8,000 miles. Maybe it will even be a selling point
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:30 AM   #34
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
789
Rep
1,603
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
That's a concern or an unknown concern for a lot of buyers who buy cars 4+ years old I can imagine, plus not letting the car warm up enough.

Will keep changing my oil every year and 8,000 miles. Maybe it will even be a selling point
I would make it every 5000 miles or yearly whichever comes first for security.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:31 AM   #35
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
531
Rep
1,346
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I would make it every 5000 miles or yearly whichever comes first for security.
It makes you paranoid after reading these stories so maybe you are right.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:33 AM   #36
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
531
Rep
1,346
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

How often would you change the oil Dwaynos
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:47 AM   #37
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
789
Rep
1,603
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
On some Mitsubishi Lancer Evo's service intervals inc. oil are every SIX months.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #38
SapphireM5
Captain
SapphireM5's Avatar
525
Rep
921
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (3)

My car sits all winter in a heated garage. I do not start it until she's ready to come out for the season. I'm averaging 1500 miles a year on the car, she gets a fresh oils change and filter 5 min before she goes on the lift for storage. I like it to sit with fresh oil. I know it's a waste but I enjoy working on my cars and she gets fresh oil every year.
__________________
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #39
Dwaynos
Lieutenant
Dwaynos's Avatar
United Kingdom
191
Rep
575
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
How often would you change the oil Dwaynos
I change mine every 3 to 5k miles or 6 months whichever come first. I've never seen anything other than oil in the oil filter housing and my bearings were actually fine when I changed them. The previous owners serviced it around every 8k on average from what I can tell. It had 37k when I bought it and just turned 50k. I think I may drive it to much
Appreciate 1
OneExtra530.50

      10-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #40
Sunnyb11
Private
13
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: bmw 335d xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ldn

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #41
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
789
Rep
1,603
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyb11 View Post
I think it's fair to say he WANTED to break his engine..oh yes.
Just look at the oil temp.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #42
Dwaynos
Lieutenant
Dwaynos's Avatar
United Kingdom
191
Rep
575
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I think it's fair to say he WANTED to break his engine..oh yes.
Just look at the oil temp.
I would love to see the look on the owners face when the dealer denies his claim for a new engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #43
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
789
Rep
1,603
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I would love to see the look on the owners face when the dealer denies his claim for a new engine.
Yeah when they re-run the ECU and find how long it revved in second bouncing of the limiter for ever.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #44
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
531
Rep
1,346
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Some people are just retarded, its that simple
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST