M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #45
grocerylist
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Yes, you will shine with your summer when is dry and wonderful and you will shine in your winter when the snow is there. But for everything in between, the all season is the one that will handle everything very well.
Summer tires beat all season tires in every handling situation (accelerating/braking/turns), wet or dry when the temperatures are above 40F.

All season are a compromise between summer/winter tires and master of none. Yes for those that can't or don't want to run 2 sets of wheels/tires they'll make due. For myself (in Seattle) I'd rather take my chances with the unlikely snow surprise. In Seattle we don't get surprise snowfall, we'd see the possibility of light snow probably a week or more in advance but I realize parts of Canada don't have that luxury.

However, more importantly defensive driving can only marginally protect you from dumb drivers losing control of their vehicle or loads where emergency situations on the road might require immediate high speed reactions on a freeway for which a Summer tire would give me an advantage probably 99% of the time.

I agree I don't need a minimum wage tire tech scratching up wheels, so I'd change my 2nd set which I store on a tire rack in the garage. For those that might not have a garage, a stack of tires could easily fit in a small closet.

Last edited by grocerylist; 10-16-2019 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: word
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #46
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
No, is not. Know your car and your limits and you will do just fine. A good All Season is quite performant.
So all independent tests are wrong and you are right

Ignorance is bliss I guess.
clee1982446.50

10-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #47
DPelletier
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

I use Nokian winters in the winter and dedicated summers the rest of the year on my Mercedes SUV - the BMW gets parked in the winter. I store the off season tires in my shop and do the re+re myself on my car lift.

To each their own but in our conditions (snowy winter passes with lots of corners) I won't run anything but a dedicated winter.

2 cents,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #48
Tracus
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
So all independent tests are wrong and you are right

Ignorance is bliss I guess.
There are millions of owners who buy those tires and most of them, re-buy them(see reviews). And almost all share the same thoughts and have similar requests/expectations.
There are also a lot of manufacturers that are making these tires. Obviously, there is a certain environment where they are in demand. If they will not be good, nobody will buy them and manufacturers will not make them. Also, if they were not good their specific technical specifications (like speed rating / braking, etc.) will be poor' yet, they are not.
I am also tired of the all-season / all-weather confusion.There a lot of guys in here using the same all-weather tires; I just guess they don't want to have a futile conversation. Terrible idea from my part to have this conversation anyway....

So in your opinion, everyone who buys them is an ignorant.
I quite enjoyed our conversation until you used an uncalled for and arrogant term. Sorry, I will not go that low.
Enjoy your wheel swap.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 06:00 AM   #49
Humdizzle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 ferrari 458

i live in the midwest. all seasons is what i put on my civic and it does fine. my friend has all seasons on his m4 and lives in chicago (pilot sport as3). I had these same tires on my f30 rwd 335. Yes you lose some summer time performance but its not major... you're not going to be blowing the tires off in 2nd gear or anything like that. You get like 90% of the super sport performance, but you gain the ability to drive confidently in the snow and freezing temps... which the pilot super sport isn't going to give you.

yes if you plan on driving in blizzards or 6-8+ inches of snow you probably want a dedicated snow tire. At that point your work is probably going to be cancelled anyway.

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #50
The Outrage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
Summer tires beat all season tires in every handling situation (accelerating/braking/turns), wet or dry when the temperatures are above 40F.
Many high-performance summer tires trade the ability to channel water for the maximal on-road footprint, e.g. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R. Some even have disclaimers stating they will not perform well in rain conditions.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:22 AM   #51
King_Leonard
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Interesting Comparison

Based on this video, it seems that ALL-WEATHERS (European all-seasons) are just as good as WINTER tires in winter conditions. While also as good as ALL-SEASONS (American all-seasons) in warmer conditions.

Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:06 AM   #52
BigHunk
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

I'm guessing 22m or 72ft is not big difference on stopping.
Attached Images