Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
silentm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Downpipes

I've owner my F10 for about a year now, but been around bmw's since I've began driving. I work on my own cars and recently one of my friends dropped off a non branded set of downpipes. To me, they are all the same minis craftsmanship and from time to time incorrect bracket location, but is there any other difference?

Several companies who sell ridiculously expensive set of short pipes claim their product makes all the difference. In this instance I disagree, if two objects have the same length, width, shape, bends etc.. they should produce the same result. I.e. a pound of sugar is same as a pound of leaves.

What say's the community?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

I believe that a cheaper alternative will provide the exact same results as a more expensive option. The only difference would be the quality of fitment, find a set that fit nice and you'll have the same pipes as anyone with the m-taxed ones.

Don't fancy leaves on my corn flakes though.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
It all depends on fitment. I had AMS before and now I got Fabworx and function wise they are exactly the same. The fitment on the AMS was a little easier but I got the Fabworx to work.

There is a different with catless or high flow cats. Catless is pretty much the pipes gutted out. High Flow Cats (not that common here) still have Catalytic Converters in them but allow for more air flow for the turbos. https://www.amsperformance.com/cart/...-m6-downpipes/

Just make sure you get a tune for your car so that the car is setup properly for catless downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 04:15 AM   #4
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentm View Post
I've owner my F10 for about a year now, but been around bmw's since I've began driving. I work on my own cars and recently one of my friends dropped off a non branded set of downpipes. To me, they are all the same minis craftsmanship and from time to time incorrect bracket location, but is there any other difference?

Several companies who sell ridiculously expensive set of short pipes claim their product makes all the difference. In this instance I disagree, if two objects have the same length, width, shape, bends etc.. they should produce the same result. I.e. a pound of sugar is same as a pound of leaves.

What say's the community?
Price is an indicator. Buying secondhand is the only way u can get quality for cheap, but it's been molested by someone else first.

but cheap brand new?
there are other variables you left out. - thickness of the metal. and is it really stainless. if its 2 big ol' pipes for $300, it aint stainless.
they gonna say it's stainless, but it's not. and if it is, it's tin thin.
youll find out

And guys speak of fitment like it means nothing on a $60,000 motor and with something that connects straight to your turbos

Dont be cheap on the biggest (and i think best) bolt-on mod for the S63 apart from the crazy level of swapping coolers and turbos and clutches
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
silentm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for all the input. Everyone made valid points.

What are you thoughts on heat coating or wrapping them?

Certain type of material isn't recommended to do either due to heat being trapped inside the pipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:

Certain type of material isn't recommended to do either due to heat being trapped inside the pipe.
swain coating or ceramic coating may help, I've always avoided wraps, especially if you park your car outside as they may hold moisture and cause other issues. If it's your race/fun car though, wraps are prob the best way to go.
      10-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
silentm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Quote:

swain coating or ceramic coating may help, I've always avoided wraps, especially if you park your car outside as they may hold moisture and cause other issues. If it's your race/fun car though, wraps are prob the best way to go.
Appreciate 0