BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
AlphaGearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dodge Charger

Would an F10 be a recommended daily?

Hi everyone im looking for a fast fun daily sedan that can still fit a stroller in the trunk and a car seat in the rear.
My options so far are a 2013-2015 M5, 2016-2017 ATSV Sedan, or a 2015-2019 Charger Scatpack. I currently have a 2012 Charger so im familiar with mods,reliability, and space but coming from your experience what would be the best choice?
Also anything i should be looking for when buying used? I found a clean title 2013 with 48k miles listed for $31k
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGearhead View Post
Hi everyone im looking for a fast fun daily sedan that can still fit a stroller in the trunk and a car seat in the rear.
My options so far are a 2013-2015 M5, 2016-2017 ATSV Sedan, or a 2015-2019 Charger Scatpack. I currently have a 2012 Charger so im familiar with mods,reliability, and space but coming from your experience what would be the best choice?
Also anything i should be looking for when buying used? I found a clean title 2013 with 48k miles listed for $31k
Go for the M5 but check on service history it should have had at least seven oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Hey, I'd definitely recommend checking out the M5. When I got my car, I too looked a new charger (the 6.4L one) but the amount of technology and comfort with the M5 is what won me over. I have friend that has an ATS-V and the rear seats and the trunk are smaller by far compared to the M5. I have been able to put a car seat in the M5 but never tested a stroller but I'm sure it will fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
AlphaGearhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Quote:
Go for the M5 but check on service history it should have had at least seven oil changes.
Will do! How do you consider the m5 in reliability? And do you think it will still depreciate a lot more over a 3 year ownership? I've never owned german just because of maintenance and depreciation but is the driving experience worth any downsides it has?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
AlphaGearhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Hey, I'd definitely recommend checking out the M5. When I got my car, I too looked a new charger (the 6.4L one) but the amount of technology and comfort with the M5 is what won me over. I have friend that has an ATS-V and the rear seats and the trunk are smaller by far compared to the M5. I have been able to put a car seat in the M5 but never tested a stroller but I'm sure it will fit.
Good to hear im glad you were able to drive both. But by any chance do you know how the rear seat headroom and leg space is compared to the charger? And how did you feel the power difference between the two?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Good to hear im glad you were able to drive both. But by any chance do you know how the rear seat headroom and leg space is compared to the charger? And how did you feel the power difference between the two?
I cant say for sure because it kind of depends on the position of the front seats. Here is the data from both cars that I pulled online. M5 has more head room & shoulder room by 2 inches but charger has a little more leg room (which doesn't really matter for a car seat)

2013 M5
Rear head room 38.3 in.
Rear leg room 36.1 in.
Rear shoulder room 56.2 in.

2018 Charger
Second Head Room : in 36.6
Second Leg Room : in 40.1
Second Shoulder Room : in 57.9

As for the power, hands down M5. The charger had the power as well but it sucked on putting it down to the wheel, probably because the one I drove had like stock 255 wheels where as the m5 comes with 295.

Quote:
Will do! How do you consider the m5 in reliability? And do you think it will still depreciate a lot more over a 3 year ownership? I've never owned german just because of maintenance and depreciation but is the driving experience worth any downsides it has?
M5 reliability is like more BMW car is that its good as long as the car has been taken care of. You really want to check for services records and overall care of the car. If its not already at a BMW dealer. Take it to one and have them do a private purchase inspection (ppi) before buying the car. Costs average $200-300. As for deprecation, '13 are pretty much set now. Now that the f90 is released, I don't see them dropping that much anytime soon (5 years ago they were ~$110k).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
I've had mine since Mar '17 and no problems apart from a a/c condenser failure covered at the time by bMW warranty.No big deal and have had no other trouble with it whatsoever, just to remember these need a sympathetic warm up until engine oil temp is up to normal.
I don't think you have much to worry about depreciation as it's already had big hits already and these cars are desirable to a lot of people so its just a $ trickle from now on for the one you describe.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #8
AlphaGearhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Quote:
I cant say for sure because it kind of depends on the position of the front seats. Here is the data from both cars that I pulled online. M5 has more head room & shoulder room by 2 inches but charger has a little more leg room (which doesn't really matter for a car seat)

2013 M5
Rear head room 38.3 in.
Rear leg room 36.1 in.
Rear shoulder room 56.2 in.

2018 Charger
Second Head Room : in 36.6
Second Leg Room : in 40.1
Second Shoulder Room : in 57.9

As for the power, hands down M5. The charger had the power as well but it sucked on putting it down to the wheel, probably because the one I drove had like stock 255 wheels where as the m5 comes with 295.

Quote:
M5 reliability is like more BMW car is that its good as long as the car has been taken care of. You really want to check for services records and overall care of the car. If its not already at a BMW dealer. Take it to one and have them do a private purchase inspection (ppi) before buying the car. Costs average $200-300. As for deprecation, '13 are pretty much set now. Now that the f90 is released, I don't see them dropping that much anytime soon (5 years ago they were ~$110k).
Oh yeah the charger scatpacks actually come with 245s which is ridiculous but now you can option them with 275s which is better.

And the rear legroom is for my fiancé that sits with our 1 year old in the back.

Also i just checked the carfax and it was clean title but only had 1 oil change on history at the current dealer its at now
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #9
Beast27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Alpine White/Black CP

Quote:

I have two car seats in the back for a 3 year old and 6 month old and it can comfortably handle a stroller in the trunk. No problems handling the stroller and seats... recommend black interior w / kids... Good Luck!
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5720.50
      10-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
LeftFootLove
Anti-Dentite
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Competition 6MT

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I don’t see how you can compare these two cars. The creature comforts of the BMW make this decision a no-brainer. It can be a docile daily, or a screaming track car and you get to pick every time you get in it.
      10-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #11
kushtrim
Major
Albania
Rep
Drives: AW 528 xdrive (AW 335i coupe s

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [10.00]
Hey man go for the M5, I have two car seats in the back and stroller fits in the trunk no problem . It's faster then the scat pack and way more luxurious.
M-tech front and rear bumpers /M3 style side skirts/gloss black painted roof/ black window trim/Matt black grill/35%tints/4"dimisaTips/CF splitters/M3 style trunk spoiler/VMR V70s/JB4/BMS dci/AMS FMIC/H&R sport with BMW performance shocks.
Thanx Sal and he's crew@AutoCoutureMotoring
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5720.50
      10-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
AlphaGearhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast27 View Post
Quote:

I have two car seats in the back for a 3 year old and 6 month old and it can comfortably handle a stroller in the trunk. No problems handling the stroller and seats... recommend black interior w / kids... Good Luck!
Oh good to hear i need to find some time this week to test drive one. I had even considered a 550i or x drive for an even cheaper alternative for a daily i found a 2014 550i with 21k clean title and good history for $25k which is around 10k cheaper then an m5 so would you say the s63tu is far superior over the n63tu? Also the dual clutch how is that for a daily and maintenance?

And yes for sure Only interior i like are black, red, and dark brown.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #13
AlphaGearhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftFootLove View Post
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I don’t see how you can compare these two cars. The creature comforts of the BMW make this decision a no-brainer. It can be a docile daily, or a screaming track car and you get to pick every time you get in it.
I mean I just haven't gotten the chance to drive one so yeah maybe they are in completely different leagues but without seeing it first hand im just comparing the 2. But I've looked at everything honestly even a c450 amg, 15' s550, chevy ss,etc. I just know this will be my daily for the next 3 years or so and I'm a guy who gets bored quick if it doesn't have the performance to back it up, or modding potential, looks, reliability.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #14
AlphaGearhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushtrim View Post
Hey man go for the M5, I have two car seats in the back and stroller fits in the trunk no problem . It's faster then the scat pack and way more luxurious.
Glad to hear man we might end up having a 2nd car seat to put in within 2 years but this is the first car ill be buying since we had our baby so this is the first time ive considered luxuries before I was just about hp and 0 options because i didnt need it before but getting sensors now and heated seats memory seats etc all is nice which the scat offers too even adaptive cruise control but obviously doesnt have true "luxury car" options like sunshades or built in massagers like an s class.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 09:28 AM   #15
kushtrim
Major
Albania
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh good to hear i need to find some time this week to test drive one. I had even considered a 550i or x drive for an even cheaper alternative for a daily i found a 2014 550i with 21k clean title and good history for $25k which is around 10k cheaper then an m5 so would you say the s63tu is far superior over the n63tu? Also the dual clutch how is that for a daily and maintenance?

Stay away from the 550i , that car is not reliable at all. I had the X5 50i which shares the same engine and had nothing but problems with it. It would leak oil everywhere. Had it like 4 times at BMW and they never fixed it.
M-tech front and rear bumpers /M3 style side skirts/gloss black painted roof/ black window trim/Matt black grill/35%tints/4"dimisaTips/CF splitters/M3 style trunk spoiler/VMR V70s/JB4/BMS dci/AMS FMIC/H&R sport with BMW performance shocks.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
AlphaGearhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stay away from the 550i , that car is not reliable at all. I had the X5 50i which shares the same engine and had nothing but problems with it. It would leak oil everywhere. Had it like 4 times at BMW and they never fixed it.
Was that the n63 though? Because i was looking at the 2014+ that have the n63tu that should have fixed most of the problems of the first motor.
but most m5s im finding have 45-55k miles are they still reliable at those higher miles?
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5720.50
      10-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #17
kushtrim
Major
Albania
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Was that the n63 though? Because i was looking at the 2014+ that have the n63tu that should have fixed most of the problems of the first motor.
but most m5s im finding have 45-55k miles are they still reliable at those higher miles?
It was a 2011 which I believe is the N63 . From what I have seen 2013 M5 have some problems so I would try and get a LCI model which is 2014+ . But then there are plenty of of 2013 that's running strong. I believe that if this car was not abused with some crazy tuning it is a very reliable car.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #18
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I'll throw another vote for the M5. It's a realiable platform. That means the main "nuts and bolts" of the car are decent quality and durability. Of course there is always the potential for issues like any used vehicle/BMW. Most of us that drive regularly will say that fluid and filter changes (ie, regular PM) is all that is required along with spark plugs and ignition coils. The plugs because this is a turbo engine and the coils because they're a little weak. The good news is new Bosch coils are less than $30 each from the right sources.

Mileage does not seem to matter on these as long as maintenance has been done. IMO, unless you buy the car from an enthusiast, you're not going to see maintenance history of 5k mile oil changes, so don't get hung up or worried about that if you find the car you want. For higher mileage cars, pre-cat (primary) O2 sensors should be replaced past 50k miles. If they haven't been done, it's an easy job from the top of the engine!

Read through some posts others have made on what to look for and go from there.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #19
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

I bought mine with he same intention. Recaro carseat in the back, no need for a stroller anymore but now I have sports equipment to carry. All said its a great daily. However, keep in mind you are buying an M car. With that comes all the drama of ownership. Most days the car is awesome, but in the past 10 years of driving M cars I find myself extra cautions of sounds, behaviors, really any changes just so I can prevent the next $1K plus repair bill.

My E46 M3 cost the Carmax nearly $15K in SMG repairs, 2 weeks after driving it off the lot.
My E92 M3 cost warranty company over $60K in over all repairs and a full long block replacement direct from Germany.
My F10 M5 so far is great (touch wood). With the caveat that it is burning oil at an alarming rate for most cars. 1qt per 1K miles, I know BMW states it as "within tolerance". But I don't know of any down-line components that are designed to deal with that much oil. I would be shocked if the warranty company doesn't end up spending serious $$ on failed components.
Moral of the story, fun classy cars that REQUIRE a warranty.

Last edited by PerfM5; 10-14-2019 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #20
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfM5 View Post
I bought mine with he same intention. Recaro carseat in the back, no need for a stroller anymore but now I have sports equipment to carry. All said its a great daily. However, keep in mind you are buying an M car. With that comes all the drama of ownership. Most days the car is awesome, but in the past 10 years of driving M cars I find myself extra cautions of sounds, behaviors, really any changes just so I can prevent the next $1K plus repair bill.

My E46 M3 cost the Carmax nearly $15K in SMG repairs, 2 weeks after driving it off the lot.
My E92 M3 cost warranty company over $60K in over all repairs and a full long block replacement direct from Germany.
My F10 M5 so far is great (touch wood). With the caveat that it is burning oil at an alarming rate for most cars. 1qt per 1K miles, I know BMW states it as "within tolerance". But I don't know of any down-line components that are designed to deal with that much oil. I would be shocked if the warranty company doesn't end up spending serious $$ on failed components.
Moral of the story, fun classy cars that REQUIRE a warranty.
1 quart per 1k IS pretty much normal. My e39 M5 (S62) has been drinking an average of 1 quart per 1k for the last 293,000 miles. No other parts have failed because of the consumption. It also hasn't changed consumption. Granted the S62 is NA and the S63 has two turbos to handle. My S63 uses 1 quart every 4k miles unless I do a track day, then it eats an extra half quart or so.

Re: warranty - OP - if you don't do your own work then you will want a warranty. Personally the only reason I would want a warranty would be for catastrophic engine failure. Unfortunately it's a crap shoot with these engines. Part of the reason isn't because it's a garbage engine, it's because it's a direct injected turbo charged engine. Something simple like a stuck injector and you're probably going to bend a rod or blow it through the block. It's the nature of the engine type.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #21
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

ATSV is smaller than the M5. I looked at these cars too before buying my M5. I think the peeps above covered all the salient points; find a well kept M5 and you won't be disappointed.

And yes, the M5 is my dd...traffic, rain, shine, snow, road trips, whatever.
      10-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #22
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

+1, use the M5 as my DD. I have twins and have two car seats in the rear. I have done two road trips and drive it on a daily basis. No issues.

Note: I came very close to buying the Charger (the higher 707 HP one). Two reasons I went with the M5:
1. Needed a manual transmission.
2. Mrs. pTron hated the look of the Dodge (it drew too much attention) and she could not drive it for odd jobs.

M5 is more kid-friendly versus the suspension on the ScatPack plus the comfort you get in your DD is unmatched. Go with the M5. As others before me - ensure you have one with a full service history before you take the leap.

Good luck!