Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SMB M6 Convertible

Temp Gauge

Hi, I been having a weird issue of fluctuating temp on my oil gauge lately, especially and usually when its cold (NYC) . Driving on the highway in a bit colder weather by oil temp would always go down below the 1/4 mark and go up and down as a I drive. I thought the thermostat was bad so I went and changed it, and still the same issue. When I turn the car off within 10 minutes the oil temp is almost down to the cold needle. Is this normal, any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbk View Post
Hi, I been having a weird issue of fluctuating temp on my oil gauge lately, especially and usually when its cold (NYC) . Driving on the highway in a bit colder weather by oil temp would always go down below the 1/4 mark and go up and down as a I drive. I thought the thermostat was bad so I went and changed it, and still the same issue. When I turn the car off within 10 minutes the oil temp is almost down to the cold needle. Is this normal, any suggestions?
The oil temp moves while driving especially at lower temps. It's funny you mention this because I have only started noticing this within the past month or so. I also read that eco mode, sport and sport + all have different oil temp settings. I believe the temps run a little higher in eco mode an run cooler in sport and sport + expecting you will be pushing the car driving oil temps. Can you take a video of what your seeing?

You can also open up the secret menu on the dash and watch what the actual temps are. Mine seems to fluctuate more when it's in the 88*c - 94*c. It's almost as if you can sit there and watch it go up, then drops back down about 1/8" and vice versa.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
Pikey Motorsports
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

How do you open the secret menu
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Motorsports View Post
How do you open the secret menu
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SMB M6 Convertible

the way you described it makes perfect sense actually. I usually always leave it in sport + mode with D2 Shift, so it makes sense why the temp always seems to be lower. Now thinking of it when it is in eco, it does stay more consistent in the 1/4 mark. What a waste of a thermostat and 4-5 hours labor, should've post first! Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbk View Post
the way you described it makes perfect sense actually. I usually always leave it in sport + mode with D2 Shift, so it makes sense why the temp always seems to be lower. Now thinking of it when it is in eco, it does stay more consistent in the 1/4 mark. What a waste of a thermostat and 4-5 hours labor, should've post first! Lol
So you can still see yours moving around a bit while driving?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
My oil temp gauge acts similarly in the cold weather and depending on the style of driving (which makes sense). Once it heats up to the first mark, it will only cool back down about half way back to the 160 mark during light throttle highway cruising. I just assumed this was normal operation. There is a massive oil cooler on these cars, so if you're not pushing the engine hard and driving at a steady state, the temps should come down naturally. I'm not sure where on the gauge a minimum "warm engine" point would be, if there even is one. 160 isn't exactly cold either.

Edit to add: If I'm driving in traffic, the needle will come up to the first mark. Pretty much any other time it will sit slightly below the first mark. It's only on prolonged cruising in cold weather that it will drop. This tells me that general area on the gauge is normal operating temp. I don't think you can treat oil temp the same as coolant temp in terms of "running cold".
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
My oil temp gauge acts similarly in the cold weather and depending on the style of driving (which makes sense). Once it heats up to the first mark, it will only cool back down about half way back to the 160 mark during light throttle highway cruising. I just assumed this was normal operation. There is a massive oil cooler on these cars, so if you're not pushing the engine hard and driving at a steady state, the temps should come down naturally. I'm not sure where on the gauge a minimum "warm engine" point would be, if there even is one. 160 isn't exactly cold either.

Edit to add: If I'm driving in traffic, the needle will come up to the first mark. Pretty much any other time it will sit slightly below the first mark. It's only on prolonged cruising in cold weather that it will drop. This tells me that general area on the gauge is normal operating temp. I don't think you can treat oil temp the same as coolant temp in terms of "running cold".
Yup sounds normal!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:25 AM   #9
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

I also noticed the oil temp gauge fluctuating. More when it's cold out (50 degrees or lower) I thought it was odd but seems to be normal. It must have to do with the big oil cooler. On my old 550i it never fluctuated and ran closer to 100C according to the secret menu info.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 03:28 AM   #10
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Yeap the colder air will cool the oil more,where I live I have all the settings nearly always on comfort (poor roads) with the oil temp needle just above the first dot.
Appreciate 0