Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-13-2019, 06:05 AM   #23
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M550d xdrive touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
The thing about F10 is, it had to happen, due to emissions.

It weighs 200 lbs more with barely enough power added to make up for it compared to the e60, if you have an aftermarket exhaust your Power to weight ratio is more or less negligible.

I have experience with the DCT in the Audi S6 and the SMGIII. I remember hearing that BMW just licensed the Audi design, i could be wrong.

I prefer SMGIII for spirited driving, it's faster with a skilled driver. The Audi DCT is smoother at traffic style driving, no question, and just a 140 ms slower at max settings, assuming it guesses which gear you want next. I see why it's popular, but if you care about max performance from the transmission SMGiii still wins. If you want extremely comfortable stop and go driving at lights, DCT is a big improvement.

Overall though F10 was premature, and BMW knows it was a downgrade in terms of engine, hence the fake sound in the speakers.

It weighs more too.

Thé whole car is a bit of a compromise in terms of being an upgrade. More a swap.

Swap of sound for better emissions, different esthetics, ultimate sport transmission for a very sporty yet comfortable transmission, you gain 200 lbs for extra back seat room, tech upgrades if you care. Also the active e60 seats are actually nice, sad to see them go (most definately weight reduction caused it to be cut as they were already 200 lbs over the e60) The seats are comfortable for trips but still provide the support for track driving. Best of both worlds IMO.

It's 'faster' but I think that has more to do with Pilot Super sports vs those crappy Continentals on the e60. All the magazine test times are on those stock tires so the e60's stats are deflated if you compare to new cars, especially after PS4s.

Also keep in mind the e60 is closer in size to the modern M3 not the modern M5.

BMW upsized everything. Your 2 series is now the same size as the E46.

All in all, a bit more comfort in exchange for a bit more weight. If that's worth it to you go for it.

The only real upgrade will be the new upcoming M3 or the AWD M5 if you want half a foot bigger, and with an AWD system and ZF8 it matches the e60 weight while the M3 will be about 200 lbs lighter I imagine.

Sounds like you have thought it through and weighed everything up.

I just changed in my V10 M6 for Competition F10 M5, I dont agree that the SMG is better. It is great when driving spiritedly, but for the rest of the time its just ok, and thats leaving aside its reliability.

Previous Cars:- 2015 GTR > 2014 M5 CP > 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 >
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #24
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

@Sleeping BMW.
i agree with one point on the speaker engine sound,I have a chuckle every time I hear it but I can live with it.There must be other fast car manufacturers using the same trick, like the V6 Jag f type imagining it's a V8?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #25
BimmerTom94
BimmerTom94
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 530e

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
2015 BMW 3 Series  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
I am considering selling my E60 M5 for an F10 M5, now that the prices have gone down.

The only thing that is holding me back is whether the F10 M5 is actually "boring" to drive compared to the E60 M5.

I have the SMG in my M5 and I absolutely love how it bangs into gear during high throttle. However, to non-car people, the jerky shifts makes them want to vomit.

Another thing is the exhaust. I have an Eisenmann Race on my car right now, and it screams to redline. I read online that the F10 is very muted. Does anyone have experience with an aftermarket F10 exhaust, and can compare it to an aftermarket E60 m5 exhaust?

Also, is the engine on the F10 M5 less prone to failure? I am thinking of upgrading turbos and doing other bolt-ons after owning the car for a while.

Thanks!
Hi there,

In kind of relation to your question, my friend has a 2012 M5 F10 with the M performance exhaust and I would say it is worth doing!!

If you want to hear what it is like I have a clip of his car on YT:

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #26
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
@Sleeping BMW.
i agree with one point on the speaker engine sound,I have a chuckle every time I hear it but I can live with it.There must be other fast car manufacturers using the same trick, like the V6 Jag f type imagining it's a V8?
I read from somewhere that Ford does the same thing too.
Appreciate 0