Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

02-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Brake Judder

Been having judder when braking and got the car booked in for a potential warranty claim. I know its not 100% when brakes are concerned as it wear etc but the BMW Tech who came out said as the car has only covered 12,000 miles and still on original tyres plus its 2 years old they may consider it as goodwill

Worth a try I thought.

I decided to do a few high speed brake stops to maybe clear the discs of any pad material that stuck on the disc etc and now I can see the following

What do you all think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

We're talking a lot today (and why not) Mine are slightly less worn than yours looking at the lip and stretching the M's legs today on a motorway found no grabbing or fade.Could be yours need skimming possibly but as you say the Bm warranty will cover them only if the issue is not excessive wear and tear.

Last edited by M5Rick; 02-19-2019 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #3
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

It sounds like a warped rotor issue. A few have reported it as an issue previously.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
Davie 3 door
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & 535d Msport

I have just purchased a set from my local dealer, ready to fit for summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie 3 door View Post
I have just purchased a set from my local dealer, ready to fit for summer.
I got a price of £650 for 2 which I thought was pretty good. What did you pay?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

@One Extra. Any luck with the warranty claim?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:08 AM   #7
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
@One Extra. Any luck with the warranty claim?
Its booked in for the 21st March for a while you wait service.

I am going for a good drive over the weekend to see if its pad residue and whether a lot of firm braking will help fix it, did it last week but not for long.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
texasjohn
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have this issue on my car. It's had three sets of front discs so far. Going back in on 1st April for yet another investigation.

Previous: F31 340i, E90 335i SE, E87 130i, F10 550i, E92 335i, E61 550i, E90 335iM, E87 130i, E87 118d, Z4M, Z4 3.0i SMG, E46 330D, Z3M, Z3 3.0i, Z3 3.0i (USDM)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 04:17 AM   #9
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I had new discs and pads fitted at a much reduced cost from BMW.

The discs were out by 0.3mm on one disc and 0.5mm on the other, skimming would have sorted it but didn't want to go down that route. The pads were knackered though where the material had bonded to the disc

The issue I believe is that the previous owner didn't drive the car very much and potentially it stood outside a lot or was put away with wet pads

The pad material bonded/corroded onto the disc causing an imbalance

This can be cleared sometimes with heavy repeated braking but not always

The solution is use the car to clean the discs after washing or make sure they don't stick to the discs

Getting the discs very hot and then holding the brakes on at say traffic lights can also cause issues
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 04:18 AM   #10
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
I have this issue on my car. It's had three sets of front discs so far. Going back in on 1st April for yet another investigation.
Do you put the car away with wet pads after washing a lot or only use it on occasion?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 04:46 PM   #11
harry007
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: White M5 F10

Paid £1100 front and rear, discs and pads from bmw.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 03:39 AM   #12
texasjohn
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Do you put the car away with wet pads after washing a lot or only use it on occasion?
The car gets used every day but lives outside.

I wash it weekly... and very rarely, almost never, do I dry the pads off after washing it by taking it for a quick drive (so it gets to 'stand' with wet pads and discs). I never use the handbrake/parking brake after washing the car, FWIW.

I haven't been paying for any of these sets of discs/pads, BMW Warranty has covered it; it's been an enduring issue since purchasing the car as AUC when it was 18 months old, last March. As part of the sale it was fitted with brand new front discs and pads by BMW Cooper, as the original front discs were showing minor cracking. The latest set of discs seem to be less judder-y than the previous two sets.

The problem seems to become evident after about 1000-1500 miles from fit, which is about six-seven weeks of use for my mileage.

In terms of how the car gets driven, not really very hard at all. I don't actually use the brakes much at all beyond a light to medium touch; commute during the week is a four miles along 30-40 limit roads and at the weekend I usually have my kids in the car. Of course, BMW Service probably don't believe me when I say that's how it gets used, although if they were to look at oil consumption they would see it is not being hammered everywhere. I assume the DME keeps a log of oil top up events, and it hasn't requested a top up for 6000 miles so far.

I've had tons of BMWs, including a previous F10 and a couple of other M cars. Never had a similar problem before.

Previous: F31 340i, E90 335i SE, E87 130i, F10 550i, E92 335i, E61 550i, E90 335iM, E87 130i, E87 118d, Z4M, Z4 3.0i SMG, E46 330D, Z3M, Z3 3.0i, Z3 3.0i (USDM)

Last edited by texasjohn; 03-31-2019 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #13
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The car gets used every day but lives outside.

I wash it weekly... and very rarely, almost never, do I dry the pads off after washing it by taking it for a quick drive (so it gets to 'stand' with wet pads and discs). I never use the handbrake/parking brake after washing the car, FWIW.

I haven't been paying for any of these sets of discs/pads, BMW Warranty has covered it; it's been an enduring issue since purchasing the car as AUC when it was 18 months old, last March. As part of the sale it was fitted with brand new front discs and pads by BMW Cooper, as the original front discs were showing minor cracking. The latest set of discs seem to be less judder-y than the previous two sets.

The problem seems to become evident after about 1000-1500 miles from fit, which is about six-seven weeks of use for my mileage.

In terms of how the car gets driven, not really very hard at all. I don't actually use the brakes much at all beyond a light to medium touch; commute during the week is a four miles along 30-40 limit roads and at the weekend I usually have my kids in the car. Of course, BMW Service probably don't believe me when I say that's how it gets used, although if they were to look at oil consumption they would see it is not being hammered everywhere. I assume the DME keeps a log of oil top up events, and it hasn't requested a top up for 6000 miles so far.

I've had tons of BMWs, including a previous F10 and a couple of other M cars. Never had a similar problem before.
I wonder if a mix of leaving them standing after washing and not using them properly is causing your issues.

Pads maybe transferring to the disc causing high spots and an out of balance feel, there is no way they are warping given you don't use them hard
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #14
texasjohn
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

You might be right. They say the discs keep failing a 'run out test', whatever that is.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 03:04 AM   #15
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You might be right. They say the discs keep failing a 'run out test', whatever that is.
Basically they put a dial against the disk and rotate it, if the needle moves it shows movement from left to right, the more it moves the more you will feel it.

Mine was 0.3mm and 0.5mm

I would simply drive the car harder and use the brakes as they were intended.

Also you should drive back and forth a bit on the drive and use the brakes to dry and dry them putting them away wet is making them bind overnight and potentially transfer pad material to the disc

When you use the car the next day are the pads stuck on the discs?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 03:12 AM   #16
texasjohn
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Basically they put a dial against the disk and rotate it, if the needle moves it shows movement from left to right, the more it moves the more you will feel it.

Mine was 0.3mm and 0.5mm

I would simply drive the car harder and use the brakes as they were intended.

Also you should drive back and forth a bit on the drive and use the brakes to dry and dry them putting them away wet is making them bind overnight and potentially transfer pad material to the disc

When you use the car the next day are the pads stuck on the discs?
Normally they are stuck, yes. I washed the car yesterday and went for a quick drive to 'dry' the brakes off. No binding this morning. Thinking back, it is funny you mention this because there was a time a couple of months ago when I didn't wash the car for about a month and the issue seemed to disappear.

To be honest, after this latest set of discs I was in two minds. I notice the juddering very occasionally and I suspect the issue is actually lessening with more miles on the brakes since fit. I noticed no problems at all this weekend and very nearly cancelled the appointment (but I have some corrosion around centre caps/exhaust tips so I want a decision on that from BMW UK warranty, anyway).

I just returned from a road test with a technician, he drove on various road surfaces using different brake pressure. He's confident that it is as it should be and it's safe.

I'm happy in that case, as I say, I was somewhat sat on the fence about it with this latest set of discs.

On the matter of using the brakes as they were intended: When they fitted this third set I was advised to be really gentle for the first 1000 miles. I did so, and have continued to be gentle. Perhaps I am being too gentle with them, now they are bedded in.

Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      04-01-2019, 04:01 AM   #17
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Normally they are stuck, yes. I washed the car yesterday and went for a quick drive to 'dry' the brakes off. No binding this morning. Thinking back, it is funny you mention this because there was a time a couple of months ago when I didn't wash the car for about a month and the issue seemed to disappear.

To be honest, after this latest set of discs I was in two minds. I notice the juddering very occasionally and I suspect the issue is actually lessening with more miles on the brakes since fit. I noticed no problems at all this weekend and very nearly cancelled the appointment (but I have some corrosion around centre caps/exhaust tips so I want a decision on that from BMW UK warranty, anyway).

I just returned from a road test with a technician, he drove on various road surfaces using different brake pressure. He's confident that it is as it should be and it's safe.

I'm happy in that case, as I say, I was somewhat sat on the fence about it with this latest set of discs.

On the matter of using the brakes as they were intended: When they fitted this third set I was advised to be really gentle for the first 1000 miles. I did so, and have continued to be gentle. Perhaps I am being too gentle with them, now they are bedded in.
Yes you need to use them as intended and once in a while and it will help to keep the discs working properly, plus you will enjoy it!

A few hard stops from 70mph should clear any residue if its not too bad

Also if you drive the car hard then don't sit with the brakes on at traffic lights until they are cool as this can also make pad material stick to the discs
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #18
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

having mine done after only 7k miles under the manufacturers warranty, get slight judder when braking hard at motorway speeds, discs and pad are covered against defects for 24mts or 18k miles is what Sytner Bham told me
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #19
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I was told the same but my car was 2.5 years so they wouldn’t do a full warranty swap
Appreciate 0