10-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisratz View Post
I give a rat's arse. I'm feeling a longing for a smaller more visceral car, so this gets my interest.

But if you're talking about the over saturation of "M" then I agree, its not as special as it once was.
yes, "M" is no longer the most powerful letter in the world. it's getting watered down by all these other offshoots. remember when it was just an m3 and and m5? again, i don't argue that the m235i will be a nice car, but they could just call it the 235i. so let's be honest, by sticking the m badge on, bimmer can upcharge you a few grand and the customer will feel it's warranted because they now own an m car. let's see how long it takes them to put out an m550i, an m335i, etc.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #24
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
I was going to mention the GT as well as a runner up.
I read that BMW actually had to pay GM for the rights to use the 5er GT body since it so closely mimicked the Aztec silhouette. Who knew!

As to the OPs original question. No. But now that you have mentioned it I will read about the M235i.

Why don't people here consider their M5s daily drivers or commuters? That is what they are built for!
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #25
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent
arse about the m235i?
It's a big deal because of the price segment the car represents and the performance you get. You gotta remember that the average middle class person (in America at least) cannot afford an M5 or M6. This means that a person making less than $50,000 a year can afford what they "think" is a brand new ///M car. Also the M235i is the first ///M car to hit the streets of the USA, since we never got the M135i, M550d, or MX5d.

Also consider how many BMW fanboy boy racers are going to get this car. I don't know its curb weight yet, but I fully expect to see these things at CCA parking lot Autocross events starting next year. An event where I would never take an M5 to because it's too heavy and the track is suited for racers who have smaller lighter cars.

Also my first prediction of ridiculous mods done to the future M235i is going to be the 1///M style front bumper. For shame.
I can't stand this. You all have BMWs. You don't hear 7-series owners complaining about 1-series owners, do you? You bought a BMW for the qualities of a BMW. You bought an M5 because it's AWESOME, and those other guys will buy M235i's because that car is also AWESOME. You don't have to care about the M235i, but $50,000 is a lot of money no matter who you are. I'd bet there will be guys who can buy 10 M5's lining up on the waiting list for the M235i. Enjoy your car because it's great, not because it costs twice as much as some watered down M-car wannabe, or whatever you want to call it. And I promise you, there's some guy with a Ferrari 458 rolling over in his 800-thread-count sheets because some dude in an F10 M5 thinks he's better for being able to run faster quarter miles.

No disrespect--just be mindful of what you say. I know what you meant and that it was not your intention to offend anyone, but some people might not like what you have to say.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #26
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i View Post
I can't stand this. You all have BMWs. You don't hear 7-series owners complaining about 1-series owners, do you? You bought a BMW for the qualities of a BMW. You bought an M5 because it's AWESOME, and those other guys will buy M235i's because that car is also AWESOME. You don't have to care about the M235i, but $50,000 is a lot of money no matter who you are. I'd bet there will be guys who can buy 10 M5's lining up on the waiting list for the M235i. Enjoy your car because it's great, not because it costs twice as much as some watered down M-car wannabe, or whatever you want to call it. And I promise you, there's some guy with a Ferrari 458 rolling over in his 800-thread-count sheets because some dude in an F10 M5 thinks he's better for being able to run faster quarter miles.
Says the Audi guy.

Lol! Just playing bro.

Sweet E61 BTW bro!

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Says the Audi guy. Lol! Just playing bro.

Sweet E61 BTW bro!
Glad we can use this forum as, well, a forum. miss my E61 every day...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I read that BMW actually had to pay GM for the rights to use the 5er GT body since it so closely mimicked the Aztec silhouette. Who knew!

As to the OPs original question. No. But now that you have mentioned it I will read about the M235i.

Why don't people here consider their M5s daily drivers or commuters? That is what they are built for!
nice signature pic bro!

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #29
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

A couple ways you can view this. At first I'm thinking WOW M is loosing its exclusivity, throwing an M badge on a 2. But, who really cares we all know who the real boss is. If anything, it could be making the brand grow, meaning more people realize are cars and respect them. Or, you can say I want M to be more exclusive, I want my M5 to be a sleeper. I think either way is fine by me, not everyones fortunate to have a 100k car. Also, all brands are doing this now mercedes, bmw, and porshe. Just some I can think of right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
M2 is of potential interest for weight reduction and my long term loyalty to BMW. There are so many other interesting choices out there for track cars though, I'm just not sure the M2 styling will get it done for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #31
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

i think they are doing this M135i and M235i, because M1 and M2 are not going to be produced, but on the other hand, why da hell they put M to M550d, X5M50D and X6M50D? its diesel...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #32
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

No disrespect--just be mindful of what you say. I know what you meant and that it was not your intention to offend anyone, but some people might not like what you have to say.
what can you not stand man? chill

no one complains about owners of those cars or actual cars, those cars are great! i had 123d coupe couple of years ago and it was amazing car! we complain about BMW adding M to the model of the car! and putting M badges all around the car, if you have M-sport package on non-M car!

its just looks tacky and "paki" when you have M badge all around your car, just because you have M-sport package, which includes 2 bumpers and different rims! you are already getting M badge on the door sills, steering wheel and gearbox, i find it more than enough!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #33
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
what can you not stand man? chill

no one complains about owners of those cars or actual cars, those cars are great! i had 123d coupe couple of years ago and it was amazing car! we complain about BMW adding M to the model of the car! and putting M badges all around the car, if you have M-sport package on non-M car!

its just looks tacky and "paki" when you have M badge all around your car, just because you have M-sport package, which includes 2 bumpers and different rims! you are already getting M badge on the door sills, steering wheel and gearbox, i find it more than enough!
I'm totally with you concerning M-badges everywhere. It's definitely annoying and "poseur," but it's not going to stop. That said, you have nothing to worry about in terms of watering down the brand, because the people who matter know that a 550i M-sport is not an M5.

Also, plenty of M-sport packages include a sport suspension and more dynamically augmented performance characteristics. Not just a bumper and a fake rear diffuser/valance.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #34
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm totally with you concerning M-badges everywhere. It's definitely annoying and "poseur," but it's not going to stop. That said, you have nothing to worry about in terms of watering down the brand, because the people who matter know that a 550i M-sport is not an M5.

Also, plenty of M-sport packages include a sport suspension and more dynamically augmented performance characteristics. Not just a bumper and a fake rear diffuser/valance.
but dynamically augmented performance characteristics and sport suspension come as an extra option, usually not included in M-sport kit, again, they just call it M-sport suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #35
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
but dynamically augmented performance characteristics and sport suspension come as an extra option, usually not included in M-sport kit, again, they just call it M-sport suspension
Fair enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #36
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirm5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
even the Aztec, the most heinous looking car ever created

Walter white the 3rd 20 years from now will start off in that hideous GT lol
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #37
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent
arse about the m235i?
It's a big deal because of the price segment the car represents and the performance you get. You gotta remember that the average middle class person (in America at least) cannot afford an M5 or M6. This means that a person making less than $50,000 a year can afford what they "think" is a brand new ///M car. Also the M235i is the first ///M car to hit the streets of the USA, since we never got the M135i, M550d, or MX5d.

Also consider how many BMW fanboy boy racers are going to get this car. I don't know its curb weight yet, but I fully expect to see these things at CCA parking lot Autocross events starting next year. An event where I would never take an M5 to because it's too heavy and the track is suited for racers who have smaller lighter cars.

Also my first prediction of ridiculous mods done to the future M235i is going to be the 1///M style front bumper. For shame.

LOL. I as a lowly m3 owner get bashed when i peruse these threads. Wonder what would happen to (lets just call it without the m) a 235 owner?

Seriously though i can picture this conversation.

Oh you own an m3/4/5/6? I just picked up an ///M235i.

I dont know about you guys but i would just be confused
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #38
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Driven the M135i extensively , good little car would not be a DD or long distance driver for me, to little insulation and low interior quality feel for me.

M235i same set up different body.
OK for "M" wanabees.
The "M" badge is being diluted daily IMO.
      10-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #39
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
LOL. I as a lowly m3 owner get bashed when i peruse these threads. Wonder what would happen to (lets just call it without the m) a 235 owner?

people can get heart attacks
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #40
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

people can get heart attacks
So you drive an m3/4/5/6? I just got an m235i.

Flatline.......(call 911)

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #41
Tisaksen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
135coupe 6speed was one of the best cars I have owned when u consider what you get for the price point. So I like what they have done however this M thing everywhere is getting weird.
+1. I'll always love my 135
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #42
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

I like the it but I'll have to draw the line at an M5 GT.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #43
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

might be might next car, don't know why m5 drivers are mad at it... it's not like it's a full-on m car.
Appreciate 0