M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-21-2018, 04:10 AM   #1
Buitech
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

New motor help

Does anyone know where I can find a used motor? Mine has failed on me and would rather just pick one up and swap it out than to rebuild this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
why your motor failed ? what is the reason?
      10-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Sales@RKautowerks
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showth...1476766&page=6
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I've got 7 of them, let me know.

-R
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@RKautowerks View Post

-R
7 of them ?
Do you offer a warranty ?
I have a client looking for a good used core
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #7
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
7 of them ?
Do you offer a warranty ?
I have a client looking for a good used core
Warranty on a performance engine is almost unheard of, especially when people blow things up left and right. I'm reasonable about it though, if there's something wrong, it's addressed. Almost all my engines are broken in, so that eliminates majority of the concern. Feel free to shoot me a PM and i can get you more info.

-R
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #8
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Warranty on a performance engine is almost unheard of, especially when people blow things up left and right. I'm reasonable about it though, if there's something wrong, it's addressed. Almost all my engines are broken in, so that eliminates majority of the concern. Feel free to shoot me a PM and i can get you more info.

-R
I meant warranty on your stock used engine.
Like 60 day for example
But, with built engines Carbahn and Arsenal offers a warranty with their work fyi
Will do, I will pass this along to my client.
Thanks for replying
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #9
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I meant warranty on your stock used engine.
Like 60 day for example
But, with built engines Carbahn and Arsenal offers a warranty with their work fyi
Will do, I will pass this along to my client.
Thanks for replying
Engines either run or they blow up, 9/10 times they fail after a breakin because of neglect, usually detonation or oil starvation. Under no circumstances is detonation covered. If you read carbahn or aresenals fine print, it will outline a variety of situations where an engine is not covered.

Out of the 20 engines i've had this year, only 1 failed on its own, it had 110k miles and the main bearing spun. Breaking it down showed that the assembly on the bearings was a little dirty, you could see main 4 giving way, main 3 had already failed. The other 19 failed because they were being pushed.

Thats why a "warranty" is really a loose term in this situation. It's honestly more goodwill than it is anything else. Obviously a bolt that comes loose because it was not torqued is my fault, but a bent rod, spun bearing, or oil damage; not a chance.

That's why it is truly a case by case basis on engines needing "warranty" work. Like i said, all my stock engines come broken in, none of them are not tested. Vanos tests, valvetronic, compression, leakdown, engine running, idle, all the other areas monitored as well. Not like ebay where you get a random engine that you gamble on.

-R
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:49 PM   #10
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Engines either run or they blow up, 9/10 times they fail because of neglect, usually detonation. Under no circumstances is detonation covered. If you read carbahn or aresenals fine print, it will outline a variety of situations where an engine is not covered.

Out of the 20 engines i've had this year, only 1 failed on its own, it had 110k miles and the main bearing spun. Breaking it down showed that the assembly on the bearings was a little dirty, you could see main 4 giving way, main 3 had already failed. The other 19 failed because they were being pushed.

Thats why a "warranty" is really a loose term in this situation. It's honestly more goodwill than it is anything else. Obviously a bolt that comes loose because it was not torqued is my fault, but a bent rod, spun bearing, or oil damage, not a chance.

That's why it is truly a case by case basis on engines needing "warranty."

-R

I agree with you 100%
I was not stating that your wrong about warranty aspects
Just a question about used motor.
There always needs to be disassembly before any warranty can be assessed
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 11:26 PM   #11
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you 100%
I was not stating that your wrong about warranty aspects
Just a question about used motor.
There always needs to be disassembly before any warranty can be assessed
Agreed, i feel we go well beyond anyone else offering used motors right now. nobody else is testing them before shipping them out. I'm almost done with our engine dyno which will let me test everything without the need of a car. That ends up making it almost black and white.

-R
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #12
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, i feel we go well beyond anyone else offering used motors right now. nobody else is testing them before shipping them out. I'm almost done with our engine dyno which will let me test everything without the need of a car. That ends up making it almost black and white.

-R
That is great to know. I agree with testing prior.
I have torn down 2 used engines my client purchased and both were put together poorly from the place of purchase. The last one was full of silicone and the cams had bad marks on them from whatever the store did prior.
Then the salvage yard stated "why did you inspect it" lol
Anyways.. great info and thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #13
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Quote:

-R
Well that makes it pretty easy
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #14
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That is great to know. I agree with testing prior.
I have torn down 2 used engines my client purchased and both were put together poorly from the place of purchase. The last one was full of silicone and the cams had bad marks on them from whatever the store did prior.
Then the salvage yard stated "why did you inspect it" lol
Anyways.. great info and thanks for sharing
There's almost no need for silicone on these engines other than maybe 3-4 spots and we're talking a drop of silicone on where the three surfaces meet.

LOL at why did you inspect it.

I'm glad to share, i've spent a ridiculous amount of time messing with these things but it seems like it's worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
Yea its nice having so many, i have 5 blocks being sleeved right now, 6 set of CNC heads in the works, and keep just about everything on shelf.

I had a customer ship his car last month and after swapping everything onto the car it just wouldnt run right. There was something weird going on with the parts outside the engine. Swapped throttle body, turbos, maf sensors, map sensors, and a few other things. Nothing seemed to fix the low mass air flow code the engine was producing. Eventually i got sick of trying to figure it out, i gave the customer a completely new engine, one with my good accessories, just to get him going. We swapped everything and the same code, turned out both DME were bad which is why i couldn't find any improvement with swapping DME bank to bank.

Ended up fixing it and got the car back on the road. It takes about 2 hours to drop an engine, now that i've done it 20 times, and swapping everything is about 6-8 hours of work, then putting it back in is about 2-3 hours. I can have a car in and out in 48 hours.

Once all these motors are back from the machine shop i'll have a core exchange program. Hopefully that will go well, i'm inclined to think it will.

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 2
m5 guy1691.50
      10-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #15
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Interest

Can you please pm me with a quote for one of your engines? Thanks.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #16
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
There's almost no need for silicone on these engines other than maybe 3-4 spots and we're talking a drop of silicone on where the three surfaces meet.

LOL at why did you inspect it.

I'm glad to share, i've spent a ridiculous amount of time messing with these things but it seems like it's worth the effort.

Yea its nice having so many, i have 5 blocks being sleeved right now, 6 set of CNC heads in the works, and keep just about everything on shelf.

I had a customer ship his car last month and after swapping everything onto the car it just wouldnt run right. There was something weird going on with the parts outside the engine. Swapped throttle body, turbos, maf sensors, map sensors, and a few other things. Nothing seemed to fix the low mass air flow code the engine was producing. Eventually i got sick of trying to figure it out, i gave the customer a completely new engine, one with my good accessories, just to get him going. We swapped everything and the same code, turned out both DME were bad which is why i couldn't find any improvement with swapping DME bank to bank.

Ended up fixing it and got the car back on the road. It takes about 2 hours to drop an engine, now that i've done it 20 times, and swapping everything is about 6-8 hours of work, then putting it back in is about 2-3 hours. I can have a car in and out in 48 hours.

Once all these motors are back from the machine shop i'll have a core exchange program. Hopefully that will go well, i'm inclined to think it will.

Thanks
-R
I have a m5 but also a N63 powered750li xdrive, do you offer rebuilding services for N63 motors?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #17
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

I would be interested to hear more about your core program and built engine offerings. My car has been dead since April and I have been slowly looking at my options. Always nice to add one more shop to the list for consideration.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #18
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
Can you please pm me with a quote for one of your engines? Thanks.
Will do, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
I have a m5 but also a N63 powered750li xdrive, do you offer rebuilding services for N63 motors?
Yes, N63 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5 guy View Post
I would be interested to hear more about your core program and built engine offerings. My car has been dead since April and I have been slowly looking at my options. Always nice to add one more shop to the list for consideration.
The core program has a few variations, basically i don't outright sell engines unless someone is absolutely desperate. I prefer swapping the core with a customer. As long as the engine is not ruined, no holes, no spun bearings, we can take it in as a core. I can work with spun rod bearings, but spun crank bearing ruins the engine.

I have a variety of sleeved, stock, forged builds on shelf. Most don't want to wait on engines so i swap out the engine with the customer.

Why has your car been down since april? That's a pretty long span...

-R
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 01:53 AM   #19
Buitech
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
Quote:

-R
Lol I picked up a 458 Italia so I just wanna throw a solid working motor back in and sell it. This was definitely the easiest and cheapest route.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2018, 11:20 PM   #20
tonydat1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buitech View Post
Lol I picked up a 458 Italia so I just wanna throw a solid working motor back in and sell it. This was definitely the easiest and cheapest route.
Have both! My m5 is getting built engine at moment. So I'm enjoying the 458 more until then.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 03:01 AM   #21
Buitech
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydat1 View Post
Quote:
Have both! My m5 is getting built engine at moment. So I'm enjoying the 458 more until then.
I'm just over the headache I went thru to try and push it I'm just gonna drive it chill and grab another car after that. Are you in SoCal?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:24 AM   #22
tonydat1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm just over the headache I went thru to try and push it I'm just gonna drive it chill and grab another car after that. Are you in SoCal?
I'm in Dallas. Yeah after this motor build if anything major goes wrong I may move on to a different platform as well.
Appreciate 0