M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

12-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

RW Carbon vs JL Motoring

I'm looking to pick up a CF rear diffuser and both of these companies offer similar prices.

Just looking for advice for which one I should go with in regards to fitment and quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
induc916
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

I'm curious myself looking at side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking I think you should try RW Carbon would be your best luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
I'm looking to pick up a CF rear diffuser and both of these companies offer similar prices.

Just looking for advice for which one I should go with in regards to fitment and quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by induc916 View Post
I'm curious myself looking at side skirts.
RW Carbon would be the better choice a lot of people use that one if your not trying to pay the "M" owner tax on mods . RW has a little better fitment. JL Motoring is sometimes a hit or miss on fitment I found this out on my E92 M3.

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 1
HXS741.00
      12-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
induc916
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
RW Carbon would be the better choice a lot of people use that one if your not trying to pay the "M" owner tax on mods . RW has a little better fitment. JL Motoring is sometimes a hit or miss on fitment I found this out on my E92 M3.
I've got RW Carbon for the grills and lower lip and rear diffuser, but I like the style of the JL Motoring side skirts. I'll probably still pick up the RW carbon mirror caps and fender grills.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post

If you are still in the market....i purchased the RW carbon rear diffuser and RKP style front lip. The front lip has very good fitment, i'd say 8.5/10. The rear diffuser took quite a bit of time to fit properly but overall i'm happy with the fitment, i'd say that one is a 8/10.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aayaz View Post
If you are still in the market....i purchased the RW carbon rear diffuser and RKP style front lip. The front lip has very good fitment, i'd say 8.5/10. The rear diffuser took quite a bit of time to fit properly but overall i'm happy with the fitment, i'd say that one is a 8/10.
Did you have to take the rear bumper off to install the diffuser?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Quote:
Did you have to take the rear bumper off to install the diffuser?
Yes because the diffuser does not come with clips that snap into the bumper the way the oem diffuser does. There are tabs that need to have small holes drilled into and screwed into the bumper. It's not difficult but does take time to get it to fit nicely.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #8
asian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

Quote:
Yes because the diffuser does not come with clips that snap into the bumper the way the oem diffuser does. There are tabs that need to have small holes drilled into and screwed into the bumper. It's not difficult but does take time to get it to fit nicely.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but when you say "small holes drilled into" do you mean hole in the tab or hole in the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #9
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread but when you say "small holes drilled into" do you mean hole in the tab or hole in the bumper?
No worries man. So it's actually both. The RW carbon diffuser has tabs that don't lock into the bumper the way the OEM diffuser has. The bumper has a receiving end slot where the OEM diffuser clips snap into place. So instead, what you have to do is utilizing a drill bit and power drill, you drill through the diffuser tabs and through the bumper slots that the tabs run through. Then using 1/2 inch self taping screws, you fasten both ends together. It's actually a very straight forward process, but holding the bumper and diffuser in place with some snug is the annoying part so i'd recommend having someone hold both parts together while you drill and insert the screws.

Let me know if you purchase and need help.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 11:12 PM   #10
asian
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No worries man. So it's actually both. The RW carbon diffuser has tabs that don't lock into the bumper the way the OEM diffuser has. The bumper has a receiving end slot where the OEM diffuser clips snap into place. So instead, what you have to do is utilizing a drill bit and power drill, you drill through the diffuser tabs and through the bumper slots that the tabs run through. Then using 1/2 inch self taping screws, you fasten both ends together. It's actually a very straight forward process, but holding the bumper and diffuser in place with some snug is the annoying part so i'd recommend having someone hold both parts together while you drill and insert the screws.

Let me know if you purchase and need help.
Cheers bro!

Well i do have an ebay one but my workshop went to install and said it's too short! The tabs don't even go into the bumper slots? They didn't take off the bumper though so I'm wondering if it'll give it some room to play.. i might just forget about it and get one from RW Carbon or JL Motoring.

I've read some horror stories on both companies (mainly JL though) but they all seem to be a few years ago. Anyone got some recent reviews on the diffusers?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #11
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Cheers bro!

Well i do have an ebay one but my workshop went to install and said it's too short! The tabs don't even go into the bumper slots? They didn't take off the bumper though so I'm wondering if it'll give it some room to play.. i might just forget about it and get one from RW Carbon or JL Motoring.

I've read some horror stories on both companies (mainly JL though) but they all seem to be a few years ago. Anyone got some recent reviews on the diffusers?
Hey, I had the RW carbon set. The lip was perfect fitment. Four screws and some double sided tape and I was set. The diffuser was a little harder. I did have take the rear bumper off because the tabs don't set by themselves. Taking the bumper off was pretty easy, I think its like 4-5 screws on each side. Once you take the OEM off, you line up the new one and then use screws to hold it in place. The tab is a good size once its through. Then just re-attach the bumper and you're set.

I'll attach some images shortly.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #12
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Cheers bro!

Hey, I had the RW carbon set. The lip was perfect fitment. Four screws and some double sided tape and I was set. The diffuser was a little harder. I did have take the rear bumper off because the tabs don't set by themselves. Taking the bumper off was pretty easy, I think its like 4-5 screws on each side. Once you take the OEM off, you line up the new one and then use screws to hold it in place. The tab is a good size once its through. Then just re-attach the bumper and you're set.

Images. Front lip
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:09 PM   #13
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Cheers bro!

Images rear diffuser
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #14
asian
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Images rear diffuser
Thanks mate! Your car is the best!

Did your diffuser tabs align with the bumper holes with the bumper on though? Or did you take the bumper off straight away?

My issue is that with the bumper on, the diffuser tabs wouldn't even reach the holes (diffuser being too small by about 1cm) so I'm worried even if I go through the effort of taking off my bumper, the diffuser won't fit or will "warp" the bumper and I won't be able to get the bumper back on haha

Plus another issue is my exhaust tips. They need adjusting to suit so might need to drive to the shop without a bumper if the above is successful. Ghetto spec
Attached Images

Last edited by asian; 11-01-2020 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #15
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks mate! Your car is the best!

Did your diffuser tabs align with the bumper holes with the bumper on though? Or did you take the bumper off straight away?

My issue is that with the bumper on, the diffuser tabs wouldn't even reach the holes (diffuser being too small by about 1cm) so I'm worried even if I go through the effort of taking off my bumper, the diffuser won't fit or will "warp" the bumper and I won't be able to get the bumper back on haha

Plus another issue is my exhaust tips. They need adjusting to suit so might need to drive to the shop without a bumper if the above is successful. Ghetto spec
No, you definitely have to take the bumper off for the tabs to all line up correctly. I don't think its going to be able to warp the bumper. I would just recommend once the bumper is off and the tabs are lined up is to work your way in while screwing in the tabs (far left screw, far right screw, middle screw, 2nd far left screw, 2nd far right screw, etc...).

Where did you get that diffuser from? the ebay one right?

Yeah exhaust tips have to be adjusted.
Appreciate 0