M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
stockm5
Private
Rep
Drives: 991

I purchased a Dodson Clutch pack 6 months ago. The clutch from day one acted very strange and after only 8k miles, my M5 started shifting very strange. Kick down in automatic mode was very jittery and un natural feeling. The Dodson clutch ruined the daily drivability of the car. Furthermore, 3rd into 4th gear shifting felt like the transmission was going to fall out of the car because the shift was so abrupt.

This got me very worried that something bad was going to come out of this if I didn't get it checked out. So I took it to my mechanic and had him remove the Dodson clutch pack and we sent it off to SSP because Kris seemed like a very knowledgable person.

Once Kris inspected the clutch, he advised that all the even discs showed major burning marks and I needed a new clutch pack. He also mentioned that many of the Dodson clutch parts were just not machined to spec based on the original BMW clutch pack hence why they just don't work that well.

We received/installed the new Spec R with billet baskets clutch pack from SSP and my mechanic said that it was so much easier to get the car to adapt to SSP clutch versus the Dodson. He also mentioned that with the Dodson, the clutch adaptation would not complete which was worry some. Once I got the car back, I couldn't believe how much better the car drove. This SSP clutch feels exactly like the stock clutch and shifts so smoothly.

So far I have about 1000 miles on the SSP clutch and I could not be any happier. My M5 makes about 780whp and its holding the power very well.

Moral of the story, stay away from Dodson. I ended up spending twice as much money because Dodson advertised a product that just doesn't work correctly on the F10 M5 platform.

Here are some pictures of the burnt Dodson discs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5allday View Post
I purchased a Dodson Clutch pack 6 months ago. The clutch from day one acted very strange and after only 8k miles, my M5 started shifting very strange. Kick down in automatic mode was very jittery and un natural feeling. The Dodson clutch ruined the daily drivability of the car. Furthermore, 3rd into 4th gear shifting felt like the transmission was going to fall out of the car because the shift was so abrupt.

This got me very worried that something bad was going to come out of this if I didn't get it checked out. So I took it to my mechanic and had him remove the Dodson clutch pack and we sent it off to SSP because Kris seemed like a very knowledgable person.

Once Kris inspected the clutch, he advised that all the even discs showed major burning marks and I needed a new clutch pack. He also mentioned that many of the Dodson clutch parts were just not machined to spec based on the original BMW clutch pack hence why they just don't work that well.

We received/installed the new Spec R with billet baskets clutch pack from SSP and my mechanic said that it was so much easier to get the car to adapt to SSP clutch versus the Dodson. He also mentioned that with the Dodson, the clutch adaptation would not complete which was worry some. Once I got the car back, I couldn't believe how much better the car drove. This SSP clutch feels exactly like the stock clutch and shifts so smoothly.

So far I have about 1000 miles on the SSP clutch and I could not be any happier. My M5 makes about 780whp and its holding the power very well.

Moral of the story, stay away from Dodson. I ended up spending twice as much money because Dodson advertised a product that just doesn't work correctly on the F10 M5 platform.

Interesting thread. I have been trying to work out which would be the better route to take.. Price wise and quality wise.. Maybe a bad batch...?
What mods are you running to get to 780whp? Your about 100 whp higher than me right now...
      08-26-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
cjrdriven
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Place holder. I have a horror story to add to this post. #neveragaindodson. My clutch packs look even worse!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
stockm5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan
Quote:

Interesting thread. I have been trying to work out which would be the better route to take.. Price wise and quality wise.. Maybe a bad batch...?
What mods are you running to get to 780whp? Your about 100 whp higher than me right now...
I don't believe it's a bad batch. It's poor engineering. I'm running:

DME Backend Flash
JB4/BCM
Pure Stage 1 Turbos
MSR Intake
DP and Exhaust
Running 100 Octane
No Meth
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
cjrdriven
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
I don't believe it's a bad batch. It's poor engineering. I'm running:

DME Backend Flash
JB4/BCM
Pure Stage 1 Turbos
MSR Intake
DP and Exhaust
Running 100 Octane
No Meth
Agree. No way can it be a bad batch. I got mine 3 months after you.

Was running just

Jb4/BCM
MSR intake & charge pipes
Meth. 100%
97 octane.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I have a ssp and couldn't be happier. Somebody educated me on why not to use Dodson and thus the reason I went w ssp. Over 2k miles and happier than ever
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Interesting, I want to put a clutch in my car soon.

Dobson have a great rep in the GTR world.
Appreciate 1
gdavis34.50
      08-28-2016, 04:48 AM   #8
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

I think there are prob just as many good/negative things to say about all the aftermarket clutches. I watched my Ssp get intalled and it was a straight forward. Afterwards adaptation by computer. Broke it in properly with about 700 miles and many pounding pulls afterwards. So no problems for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #9
stockm5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v
Interesting, I want to put a clutch in my car soon.

Dobson have a great rep in the GTR world.
Dodson does have a great rep in the GTR world which is why I went with Dodson first. It seems if you are good with one platform does not necessarily mean you are good with another.

Remember the 1000hp AMS M5??? I'm still waiting. Lol
Appreciate 1
m5james431.00
      08-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #10
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Well SSP can handle 1000hp+... it's proven now
Appreciate 1
m5james431.00
      08-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #11
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Hey what ever became of that ams car? That was a good thread they put out there back then. Hopefully they are still working on it
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #12
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

+1 for Kris at SSP
I also installed a Dodson DCT clutch discs on a F10 M5 and had issues.
Measurements were not accurate, learning process was never performing as it should.

I am moving onto my 3rd SSP DCT upgrade for BMW's and everything from installation to the DCT clutch adaptation to driving is beyond great.
All my clients have the best feedback on how well the DCT shifts and preforms.

Great work Kris at SSP !
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #13
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Frankfurt View Post
+1 for Kris at SSP
I also installed a Dodson DCT clutch discs on a F10 M5 and had issues.
Measurements were not accurate, learning process was never performing as it should.

I am moving onto my 3rd SSP DCT upgrade for BMW's and everything from installation to the DCT clutch adaptation to driving is beyond great.
All my clients have the best feedback on how well the DCT shifts and preforms.

Great work Kris at SSP !
That is really great news. We appreciate the business from you and your customers. Thanks a bunch.

SSP
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 10:43 PM   #14
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for your business. We appreciate it very much. If there are ever any issues that arise in the future. Please don't hesitate to call or email me any time. Kris@sspperformance.com

SSP
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #15
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

I'm like my 900lb Kris. No issues good product
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2016, 10:51 PM   #16
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I'm like my 900lb Kris. No issues good product
Great to hear...

SSP
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #17
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

I honestly think it depends on the car, driver, tune, etc.

Seems like SSP is better at M5s then is Dodson, I on the other hand have 15k miles on my Dodson clutches and shep trans build, and dodson is the go to for fast GTR.

Much more factors at play from car to car.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 06:23 PM   #18
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Not many people have gotten to the point to change clutches. I was at 81.5 when I changed mine. I've only seen one car that Dave shows me that had more miles than mine. So I was ready for general service. Makes it better since I've got a tune also
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #19
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
I honestly think it depends on the car, driver, tune, etc.

Seems like SSP is better at M5s then is Dodson, I on the other hand have 15k miles on my Dodson clutches and shep trans build, and dodson is the go to for fast GTR.

Much more factors at play from car to car.
We have a complete new line of transmission products coming out for the GTR this winter....

SSP
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 03:35 AM   #20
gary_F10M5
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2014 LCI MCB M5 CP

SSP FTW! Glad I chose SSP over dodson as well with very limited knowledge/comparisons between the two last year. Moreover, coming from a gtr, i almost chose dodson, but had some pricing and shipment issues with them and went with SSP. SSP's prices were clear cut and shipment was swift.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #21
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_F10M5 View Post
SSP FTW! Glad I chose SSP over dodson as well with very limited knowledge/comparisons between the two last year. Moreover, coming from a gtr, i almost chose dodson, but had some pricing and shipment issues with them and went with SSP. SSP's prices were clear cut and shipment was swift.
Thank you for your business. You will be very satisfied on how the clutch drives like stock.

SSP
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #22
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

After having installed Dodson clutch packs in the F10 M5 and questioning the installation instructions and how they function...they did not live up to the expectations we had for them. They were clunky and a huge pain in the ass to teach in. They did not operate like they should have and after a few k were making a loud whine noise with extremely burnt fluid. After working with Kris@SSP for the solution its amazing just how poorly the Dodson stuff worked.

The SSP clutches and baskets work and operate exactly like stock. If you drove the car with them back to back with a stock car you would have no idea they are there. Kris worked with me to answer any/all questions both myself and my customer had for the repair. The teach in procedure worked the first time in a matter of minutes once the trans temps were in the correct range instead of over an hour if the transmission would teach in at all with the previous parts. Truely a stand up product and stand up company!
Appreciate 0