M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #45
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
Interesting, I want to put a clutch in my car soon.

Dobson have a great rep in the GTR world.
That they do and SSP has a bad rep in the GTR world specially with their clutches they offered.

However, with the M5 I was opting towards the SSP clutches because they cheaper than Dodson and the 9sec M5 uses SSP clutches.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 09:22 PM   #46
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

i would be pretty stressed if i installed clutches only to not have them run right.

i wonder how much of it is breakin, or the actual part itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #47
cjrdriven
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
i would be pretty stressed if i installed clutches only to not have them run right.

i wonder how much of it is breakin, or the actual part itself.
It's the part. I followed break in to a T!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #48
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
We have tuned quite a few cars with both SSP and Dodson clutches installed and to us, SSP have shown the best results and customers seem to be very happy. Many times we had cars come in with Dodson clutches installed and adaptations would just not reset. No matter what we would do, you could not adapt them. On other hand, SSP always adapt from first try and car feels nearly OEM like. Yes, SSP feels ever so slightly rougher then stock, but no where near as rough as Dodson. Good job SSPKris
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #49
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Glad to hear that you are all having great results. We have been working on perfecting this platform for nearly 6 years now.

We are getting ready to release a new line up performance clutches for the BMW's DCT Transmission.

Thanks

Kris
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #50
Redbmwm33
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPKris View Post
Glad to hear that you are all having great results. We have been working on perfecting this platform for nearly 6 years now.

We are getting ready to release a new line up performance clutches for the BMW's DCT Transmission.

Thanks

Kris
Kris,
I'm looking to upgrade my 335is DCT trans. I saw you guys sell clutches. what do you think about the basket upgrade? Is that needed at 800whp? I've seen a lot of the m5's doing fine with jus the 900whp clutches you guys sell. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #51
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wheel horsepower is not a determining factor in which clutch or components you will need for your vehicle. All of our clutch components are rated in torque. When your vehicle hits 750 ft/lbs of torque to the wheels then you will need both billet output baskets. Anything below that and a clutch is all you will need. Our Spec-R clutch will be perfect for you. If you plan on going further with your can, I am recommending the baskets.

Kris
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #52
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

I will be looking to get SSP clutches soon to better take advantage of my tune and mods. Is there a discount for board members??
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #53
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdterror View Post
I will be looking to get SSP clutches soon to better take advantage of my tune and mods. Is there a discount for board members??
We will appreciate the business.

SSP
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #54
MFIZZLENYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10m5

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #55
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Any of you guys get the Spec R clutches without the hi flow baskets?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #56
M5MUTANT
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I am adding to this awesome product thread. I have had Kris' Stage 3 clutches in the Mutant for almost 10K now and have put them through every test imaginable. With 95K on my M5, it drives like new and can handle any and all the horsepower you can throw at it. The drivability in efficiency mode and regular sport mode is no different than the factory set up. Very comfortable and smooth shifting. In sport plus my original Clutches would slip from a stomp of the gas pedal in 4th gear at 80mph. Not anymore, they don't slip in any gear under any condition. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to add more power to their F10 M5 setup and wants both factory drivability and plus race performance capabilities. Thank you so much Kris at SSP PERFORMANCE!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #57
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5MUTANT View Post
I am adding to this awesome product thread. I have had Kris' Stage 3 clutches in the Mutant for almost 10K now and have put them through every test imaginable. With 95K on my M5, it drives like new and can handle any and all the horsepower you can throw at it. The drivability in efficiency mode and regular sport mode is no different than the factory set up. Very comfortable and smooth shifting. In sport plus my original Clutches would slip from a stomp of the gas pedal in 4th gear at 80mph. Not anymore, they don't slip in any gear under any condition. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to add more power to their F10 M5 setup and wants both factory drivability and plus race performance capabilities. Thank you so much Kris at SSP PERFORMANCE!!!
Thank you for the excellent referral and business.
I expect the clutch holds up for many more miles for you.

Kris
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 03:04 AM   #58
Maltman
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2014 BMW M4 F82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5allday View Post
I purchased a Dodson Clutch pack 6 months ago. The clutch from day one acted very strange and after only 8k miles, my M5 started shifting very strange. Kick down in automatic mode was very jittery and un natural feeling. The Dodson clutch ruined the daily drivability of the car. Furthermore, 3rd into 4th gear shifting felt like the transmission was going to fall out of the car because the shift was so abrupt.

This got me very worried that something bad was going to come out of this if I didn't get it checked out. So I took it to my mechanic and had him remove the Dodson clutch pack and we sent it off to SSP because Kris seemed like a very knowledgable person.

Once Kris inspected the clutch, he advised that all the even discs showed major burning marks and I needed a new clutch pack. He also mentioned that many of the Dodson clutch parts were just not machined to spec based on the original BMW clutch pack hence why they just don't work that well.

We received/installed the new Spec R with billet baskets clutch pack from SSP and my mechanic said that it was so much easier to get the car to adapt to SSP clutch versus the Dodson. He also mentioned that with the Dodson, the clutch adaptation would not complete which was worry some. Once I got the car back, I couldn't believe how much better the car drove. This SSP clutch feels exactly like the stock clutch and shifts so smoothly.

So far I have about 1000 miles on the SSP clutch and I could not be any happier. My M5 makes about 780whp and its holding the power very well.

Moral of the story, stay away from Dodson. I ended up spending twice as much money because Dodson advertised a product that just doesn't work correctly on the F10 M5 platform.

Here are some pictures of the burnt Dodson discs.
This is a Superstock clutch? If we compare clutches - lets be fair and name the kit. The Superstock is nearly useless, but the Sportsman and Sportsman Plus is a good clutch.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #59
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltman View Post
This is a Superstock clutch? If we compare clutches - lets be fair and name the kit. The Superstock is nearly useless, but the Sportsman and Sportsman Plus is a good clutch.
Very true, I've also found the opposite true in the GTR as dodson clutches are the ones setting every record, and lasting thousands of miles on big builds. But then again no one product is a one size fits all. Some platforms each company excels at. SSP seems to have this and the huracan one on lock.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #60
cjrdriven
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
Very true, I've also found the opposite true in the GTR as dodson clutches are the ones setting every record, and lasting thousands of miles on big builds. But then again no one product is a one size fits all. Some platforms each company excels at. SSP seems to have this and the huracan one on lock.
Correct! Different platforms different results. Dodson absolutely sucks on M5 and clunks every time you go from park to drive or into reverse. Ended up costing me thousands. I switched to SSP have more HP/TQ more mileage and OEM drivability.

If you don't trust people that I have had both SSP and Dodson stage 2s used in their car I'm not sure who you're going to trust?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #61
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We have our annual July 4th sale going on today with a 15% savings.
Enter "sales" at checkout on our website.
www.sspperformance.com

Kris
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #62
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Do people also purchase the lifetime filter SSP sells for $190?
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #63
kevn23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

@SSPKris what do you recommend for below 750whp?probably won't need the baskets?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 12:28 AM   #64
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn23 View Post
@SSPKris what do you recommend for below 750whp?probably won't need the baskets?
I would recommend the Spec-R clutch. You will need nothing else to hold this power. New fluid and filter are a must when changing the clutch.

You can email me directly at kris@sspperformance.com if you have any direct questions.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 12:29 AM   #65
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
Yes this filter is very popular with the BMW customers.

Kris
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #66
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
Best to do everything at once including the filter
Appreciate 0