Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Methanol advice

I know there are many threads regarding methanol installs but none answer the questions i have.

Is running meth possible/recommended with standard downpipes?

Can it be run using only a tune, I.e. without jb4 or another piggy?

What connections are to be used?

Is it easy to install the nozzles after the throttle bodies as I see meth can deteriorate the throttle flaps.

Would it be feasible to use meth on a stage 1 openflash tune for example?

Would the stock clutches be up for the job with a good tune like openflash flat torque?

The big one - Is there any point without serious mods?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Your last question is the most important one. Why? Why Meth?

In my personal opinion it is not worth it to install water/meth unless you are looking to go above what a flash tune can already provide. Meaning if you have a flash tune is producing 600whp, there are other tunes out there that can make more up to a certain point. Beyond that point, water/Meth is needed if you want to make more power. That point is 700whp. The stock fuel injectors on the S63tu just can't make any more power than that. But with water/meth you can go beyond that. So unless you are willing to build all supporting mods at the 700whp and beyond, water/meth won't be of much use.

Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 CS & Bmw E21 320i

G’day
Put in another way water injection only is worth 30-40 whp and there is another op (USA) who built one of the most reliable/powerful s63tu/m5 f10 (he is no longer active on this forum as he’s moved on to the Porsche marque).

The current bmw m4 gts has water injection as standard fit (and bmw engineers are looking at all m engines to have water injection for power/pollution/reliability).

In my industry (in my fathers era) large multi-cylinder engines had water/meth injection to prevent detonation and to make huge bmep (brake mean effective pressure) = huge hp !

Your Reno aircraft racing fraternity all have water/meth injected engines to beat heat and make huge hp .

History is repeating itself as this was technology honed/developed for WWW II fighter aircraft .

Cheers
Bruce
Appreciate 1
RPiM52855.50
      03-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep

Water Meth Injection = Why ?

Have a look here and search op (allmotor) :

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413810

Cheers
Bruce
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
rgb129
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP

There is one benefit which is to help keep the intake, valves, and cylinders clean. You are supposed to get the valves walnut blasted (costly even if not done at dealership) to clean them. Direct injected cars means no detergent is cleaning the back of the valves and our PCVs are still mediocre.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 02:02 AM   #6
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb129 View Post
There is one benefit which is to help keep the intake, valves, and cylinders clean. You are supposed to get the valves walnut blasted (costly even if not done at dealership) to clean them. Direct injected cars means no detergent is cleaning the back of the valves and our PCVs are still mediocre.
This was one of the things I had in mind when thinking about the install. The other was, if i were to go stage 2 or beyond with full torque tune would I be running the risk of bending rods? From What I have read meth helps to avoid this as stated by another member above by reducing the chances of detonation. I suppose another question I have is, is there a big enough risk of rods bending to warrant a meth install?

Thanks for all your replies.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
This was one of the things I had in mind when thinking about the install. The other was, if i were to go stage 2 or beyond with full torque tune would I be running the risk of bending rods? From What I have read meth helps to avoid this as stated by another member above by reducing the chances of detonation. I suppose another question I have is, is there a big enough risk of rods bending to warrant a meth install?

Thanks for all your replies.
I am interested in a water injection kit myself because of the engine's direct injection nature. I have no desire to significantly increase the power and grenade yet another engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #8
induc916
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Getting my system installed @ autocoture over the next couple days.

Using a prometh setup with an fittings and hard lines. JB4 to control meth.
Attached Images

14 M6 Sakhir Coupe | RK Autowerks Built Motor | G25-660 | Snow Performance Meth | RK DP | 4mm bored throttle bodies | SSP-X | SSP Trans Pan | RK Billet Diff Mount | DSS Axles | Rkautowerks carbon charge pipes | CSF Intercoolers |Akro exhaust | Gapped Plugs |RK intakes | 900whp/930wtq
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #9
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep

Methanol & Water Injection

G’day
Have a read of this detailed technical explanation on water/methanol injection :

https://www.tested.com/tech/572851-h...s-race-planes/

Cheers
Bruce
Appreciate 0