BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-08-2019, 12:36 AM   #1
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Gents,

I am in a bind here and I'm hoping you guys can talk me through my train of thought.

I bought my E70 X5M with 25K miles and it's time to update. I love this car a whole lot. It's fast as hell, and I love the suv feel of it. I'm 6'4 and I really enjoy the room.

I have been following the 15-16 X5M but they're so expensive I really just can't drop $60 on something that will depreciate by $30K in the next three years.

I'm looking at a 2016 MBZ E63S, or, and I've never had one, an M5.

The E63 is a beast and a half for sure. But, I've been fortunate to have a set of AMG's and feel like I'm going in reverse.

I've never had an M5. I know there's a cult following, and I want to ask you wise guys, which one should I look at?

What were the major differences between the model years (in the F10 platform)? Is there one year/option/style I should be focused on? Was there an LCI update at any point that I should be aware of?

Why about tune/dp's? How much power are these beasts good for? Are they super car fast?

I appreciate the advice guys, looking to shop ASAP.
      03-08-2019, 03:49 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

@TheVazha.If depreciation hit is at the forefront of thoughts then a low miles, say 30-40k, pre 14 may suit you, it's the reason I bought one as mechanically the pre and pro lci's are the same and you can add the 14+ (facelift) grille and steering wheel as you go; mine was already fitted at sale with these together with the remote controlled exhaust butterflies and I prefer the round h/lamp ringlets to the thicker bottom cut off lights of the lci.
Tunes? I'm a believer in 'no mods no probs' as far as engine is concerned so take advice on that with reference to your road insurance allowances.

Last edited by M5Rick; 03-08-2019 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:31 AM   #3
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

As above but mods id stick to ess, very proven and reliable
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 06:04 AM   #4
core22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i / 911 C4S

In addition to the cosmetic changes that were introduced with the LCI, the Competition Package was available beginning with the 2014 model, which is different in several areas:
  • 575 HP (compared to 560)
  • Suspension sits slightly lower and is stiffer
  • Stiffer anti-roll bars
  • Differential is tuned differently for the Comp Pack
  • Sport exhaust with different resonators, mufflers, and black tips
  • MDM tuning
  • Improved steering performance

The exhaust is definitely more aggressive, especially with the valves open, but still nothing like the sound of an aftermarket exhaust. I can attest to the diff and better traction, as my 2015 has much better traction on all road conditions compared with my old 2013. I can't comment on the improved steering; both my old 2013 and current 2015 feel the same, but I also don't track the car or push it to the limits.

Past:
2013 911 C4S | 2019 X2 M35i | 2015 M5 Comp | 2013 M5 | 2013 640i | 2010 535xi | 2007 525xi
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
@TheVazha.If depreciation hit is at the forefront of thoughts then a low miles, say 30-40k, pre 14 may suit you, it's the reason I bought one as mechanically the pre and pro lci's are the same and you can add the 14+ (facelift) grille and steering wheel as you go; mine was already fitted at sale with these together with the remote controlled exhaust butterflies and I prefer the round h/lamp ringlets to the thicker bottom cut off lights of the lci.
Tunes? I'm a believer in 'no mods no probs' as far as engine is concerned so take advice on that with reference to your road insurance allowances.
Awesome advice. I'm realistic on the depreciation, just not sure I'm willing to eat it all. I've been able to jump in and out of these specialty cars with minimal loss, but have to buy right. Unfortunately I'm at the place now where to "upgrade" would mean buying something in the $60 range and that's where you get hit. Of course, the $30K hit the first guy took is the worst but something tells me a guy who can buy a new $100K ride can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
As above but mods id stick to ess, very proven and reliable
Talk numbers to me.

Are we super car fast? Enough to get your heart pumpin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by core22 View Post
In addition to the cosmetic changes that were introduced with the LCI, the Competition Package was available beginning with the 2014 model, which is different in several areas:
  • 575 HP (compared to 560)
  • Suspension sits slightly lower and is stiffer
  • Stiffer anti-roll bars
  • Differential is tuned differently for the Comp Pack
  • Sport exhaust with different resonators, mufflers, and black tips
  • MDM tuning
  • Improved steering performance

The exhaust is definitely more aggressive, especially with the valves open, but still nothing like the sound of an aftermarket exhaust. I can attest to the diff and better traction, as my 2015 has much better traction on all road conditions compared with my old 2013. I can't comment on the improved steering; both my old 2013 and current 2015 feel the same, but I also don't track the car or push it to the limits.
Thank you for the write up, this is exactly what I needed to know. I'm a daddy of two babies and while I appreciate a weekend drive, I'm not a race car driver. If I plan to tune and lower the car, would you say I still need the comp package?

Or the question is - do I look at a low mileage LCI or a higher mileage Comp pack?
      03-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
TheVazha
Major
Rep

I've looked at the pictures, and I can clearly see the steering wheel difference. I can't make out the difference between the front end fenders in the LCI, anyone have good pictures that I can see the difference?

Also, these M's if I remember correctly we're always trading way higher than AMG's. Back in 05-06-07 you can score a W211 E55 for less than an E60 M5. When did that change? The pricing on a 14 E63 vs a 14 M5 is over $10K difference with even miles. What gives??
      03-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post

What were the major differences between the model years (in the F10 platform)? Is there one year/option/style I should be focused on? Was there an LCI update at any point that I should be aware of?

The major differences like have already been stated is the steering wheel and lights (to the normal person eyes). I got my car about 3-4 months ago and I was originally looking for a 14+ because I wanted the steering wheel and updated light; but the market for 13 was $5-7k cheaper so I went with a 13 M5. I ended up buying a steering wheel but selling it so I can get other mods first https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1590971

Quote:
Why about tune/dp's? How much power are these beasts good for? Are they super car fast?
My car came with a stage two tune (which mean is had catless downpipes) and had about ~690 whp. I ended up putting the stock downpipes back in because wife hated the smell of gas from catless downpipes. I'm currently running a stage 1 tune that gives me about ~650 whp. Because of the turbos, these cars are very easy to tune and get more power out of them if you want.
Yes they are stupid fast but because of the size of the car, you kind of get used to it. Its a "family car" with a big engine really. I can smack AMG, 1LE, ATSV,CTV and pretty much anyone that tries to line up, but also with a Costco shopping trip in the trunk. Its a very versatile vehicle.

Quote:

Thank you for the write up, this is exactly what I needed to know. I'm a daddy of two babies and while I appreciate a weekend drive, I'm not a race car driver. If I plan to tune and lower the car, would you say I still need the comp package?

Or the question is - do I look at a low mileage LCI or a higher mileage Comp pack?
Between the two, I'd go with low mileage. For everyday family use, I didn't see comp package worth it expect to say "I have a comp package"

Quote:
When did that change? The pricing on a 14 E63 vs a 14 M5 is over $10K difference with even miles. What gives??
One thing is that the E63 does have 4matic aka all wheel drive which is why they charging more, but for LA use I don't see that you would need it. Rear wheel drive with a good set of tires is perfect (I just put on Michelin pilot sport 4s and love them)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
Chiraq M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

I have both m5 and E63s.

M5 is more fun to drive and so much more technology. Idrive is better, bigger screen. etc..

E63s is a beast when it comes to dig, AWD is awesome and sounds amazinggg too
it can take so much power with tune, dps

I would choose the m5 if I were you, more fun to drive. Mercedes in general is boring
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiraq M5 View Post
I have both m5 and E63s.

M5 is more fun to drive and so much more technology. Idrive is better, bigger screen. etc..

E63s is a beast when it comes to dig, AWD is awesome and sounds amazinggg too
it can take so much power with tune, dps

I would choose the m5 if I were you, more fun to drive. Mercedes in general is boring
Wow! You have the best of both worlds.

I have to drive the M5. I'm going to find a local one and report back!
      03-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
TheVazha
Major
Rep

I have another dilemma.

I was doing some browsing and I came across a 2015 M6 GC. The thing is stunning.

How do these compare performance wise to the M5? I imagine it's more of a GT car which for my old age is probably more appropriate. What are your thoughts on M5 vs M6? Any profound differences?

She's got 20K miles and they're asking $52.
Attached Images

03-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #11
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
I have another dilemma.

I was doing some browsing and I came across a 2015 M6 GC. The thing is stunning.

How do these compare performance wise to the M5? I imagine it's more of a GT car which for my old age is probably more appropriate. What are your thoughts on M5 vs M6? Any profound differences?

I looked at a few M6GC before buying my car but I ended up getting the M5 because the M6 was too tight of a car for a daily (I'm also 6'4). Performance wise, it would be the same pretty much seeing how the majority of mechanical parts (Engine, Transmission, Suspension, Differential, Brake system) are the same. Its lowered and wider than the M5. Its more of a coupe then a sedan. I'd recommend M5 (hence why I got some)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #12
Chiraq M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Quote:
I have another dilemma.

oh man that's a tough one

M6 GC are sick cars I was looking at them as well before getting the M5

but idk how much ur gonna be driving. For me I daily the car and I'm tall so I think the M6 is kinda small for me

also you will lose a seat in the back in the M6

It's pretty much the same car but looks different lol

If I had the choice again, I would still go with the M5
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
TheVazha
Major
Rep

I'm 6'4 as well, so I guess I'll need to take that into account. I do like that it's lower and wider than M5. That, and I'm partial to coupe models..
Attached Images

03-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #14
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Quote:
Gents,

I've never had an M5. I know there's a cult following, ...

Are they super car fast?

Oh c'mon mannnn...cult following? The performance and drive are self-sufficient to determine the F10 is a superior vehicle.

Are they super fast -- tsk tsk tsk

I wanted a m6 GC, couldn't find one in time, ended up assuming another person's F10 lease. No complaints -- and when this lease is up, I am going to pull the trigger on a GC '17, '18, no questions asked because its just a gorgeous car, that will never be made by BMW ever again. It's...simply...beautiful.

Go with the Mercedes, so I have less competition

H
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:09 AM   #15
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Quote:
Gents,

I've never had an M5. I know there's a cult following, ...

Are they super car fast?

Oh c'mon mannnn...cult following? The performance and drive are self-sufficient to determine the F10 is a superior vehicle.

Are they super fast -- tsk tsk tsk

I wanted a m6 GC, couldn't find one in time, ended up assuming another person's F10 lease. No complaints -- and when this lease is up, I am going to pull the trigger on a GC '17, '18, no questions asked because its just a gorgeous car, that will never be made by BMW ever again. It's...simply...beautiful.

Go with the Mercedes, so I have less competition

H
Lol, so GC is the play huh?

I agree it's stunning. It'll be an interesting decision!