BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
///M_life
Private
Rep
Drives: M6, X5

Increased Battery Discharge

Anyone have this happen? Car has it pop up every single time i start it after letting it sit for 6+ Hours. It has a brand new Deka Gold Battery in it and shows its fully charged (99%). Think its 970 Cranking Amps Battery has also been registered from what my mechanic told me who installed it. Only thing i noticed is a fault code for the IBS Sensor. Nothing aftermarket is plugged into the battery to be draining it that i would think. Any ideas?
Appreciate 1
luv135i59.50
      04-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

I had that same problem, it was a dodgy exterior door handle. The handle was constantly sending out a signal looking for the fob while the car was locked up.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I had that same problem, it was a dodgy exterior door handle. The handle was constantly sending out a signal looking for the fob while the car was locked up.
How did you find that out? any what was the repair?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Sometimes when the car was unlocked and I walked near it, it pulsed the unlock signal a couple of times and you could hear the locks trying to work.
I just unplugged the handle as a temporary solution but its ended up pretty permanent.
It must have been shutting down the comfort access module in an attempt to stop the discharge because sometimes I was unable to start the car without touching the fob against the steering column. This didn't start happening for a few days after I first started noticing the discharge though.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
///M_life
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sometimes when the car was unlocked and I walked near it, it pulsed the unlock signal a couple of times and you could hear the locks trying to work.
I just unplugged the handle as a temporary solution but its ended up pretty permanent.
It must have been shutting down the comfort access module in an attempt to stop the discharge because sometimes I was unable to start the car without touching the fob against the steering column. This didn't start happening for a few days after I first started noticing the discharge though.
Tested the door locks, all worked as should when my hand touched it to unlock it. Guy at the auto parts store was trying to tell me my alternator was going bad. IT doesnt make any weird noise or anything and car fires up perfectly fine, no warning lights. I may just unplug the IBS. Any disadvantages to doing this??
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

My door locks still worked fine. I'm not saying it is a handle but its certainly a possibility, on mine the faulty handle still worked as normal when i touched it.
The alternator is a possibility also, probably not because its not charging but could be a source of a parasitic draw due to a faulty diode.

Any other electronic component on the car could be the cause of a parasitic draw also. You would need to have the car tested when it is at rest, this might mean having to leave your car at a workshop for a while as all modules need to be "asleep" while testing, which can take hours on some vehicles. Any excessive drain on the vehicle will show as an amp measurement on a DMM or similar. They then have to go through everything to find out what the issue is.

If you disconnect the IBS you will have more issues than that I would imagine.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nsterm5 View Post
Anyone have this happen? Car has it pop up every single time i start it after letting it sit for 6+ Hours. It has a brand new Deka Gold Battery in it and shows its fully charged (99%). Think its 970 Cranking Amps Battery has also been registered from what my mechanic told me who installed it. Only thing i noticed is a fault code for the IBS Sensor. Nothing aftermarket is plugged into the battery to be draining it that i would think. Any ideas?
You can also get this message of your battery is in bad shape. How old is the battery?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 05:16 AM   #8
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
You can also get this message of your battery is in bad shape. How old is the battery?
U should read the first post
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 05:17 AM   #9
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

What is the fault code stored for the IBS?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 05:50 AM   #10
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nsterm5 View Post
Seeing as though the battery is "new" and the alternator is charging it to 99% ive experienced a similar problem that turned out to be a faulty starter motor.... on a previous 535d E60 I had, did this for about a year before eventually causing a massive battery discharge and then activating the red steering lock (due to battery weakening) fault which rendered the car useless. But this is a guess, and maybe something to look at
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #11
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I wouldn't rush to change battery which starts car fine with a battery fault code, quite a few I see have done this.
I replaced mine because the start stop stopped working and the cooling fans rarely came on after a drive. Necessary in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #12
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I lock it with the fob or one of the other handles that still works.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:41 PM   #13
///M_life
Private
Rep

Battery is 3 months old. 970 CA. I mean i took it to Autozone to have the alternator tested, battery and starter and all tested out fine according to their machine/tool. Who knows, maybe its some weird draw on the battery or something. It only happens when i start it first thing in the morning, rest of the day never pops up. Im just going to live with it because i dont think its going to cause driveability issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 12:53 AM   #14
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Have you contemplated that you might have to install an oem battery? I personally have had issues with aftermarket brands when it comes to bmw.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 02:37 AM   #15
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
I replaced mine because the start stop stopped working and the cooling fans rarely came on after a drive. Necessary in my opinion.
What type of battery did you purchase.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 03:42 AM   #16
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What type of battery did you purchase.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/bosch...ntee-444779118

I've used many bosch batteries over the years and they are great, so opted for this over a lesser make with 4 or 5 year warranty. It's alright having these super long warranties but they mean nothing when the battery let's you down In the middle of nowhere because it's made from cheese. And this is the only decent one that my local branch had in stock.

On a separate occasion I spoke to another one of our suppliers that sells budget batteries, when I questioned the quality of the battery he said well they're not great but they come with "X" warranty so you can keep throwing them back at us, not worth it in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 04:43 AM   #17
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/bosch...ntee-444779118

I've used many bosch batteries over the years and they are great, so opted for this over a lesser make with 4 or 5 year warranty. It's alright having these super long warranties but they mean nothing when the battery let's you down In the middle of nowhere because it's made from cheese. And this is the only decent one that my local branch had in stock.

On a separate occasion I spoke to another one of our suppliers that sells budget batteries, when I questioned the quality of the battery he said well they're not great but they come with "X" warranty so you can keep throwing them back at us, not worth it in my opinion.
Wowie..the price hope mine doesn't pack up soon and you've got to get it coded in.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 05:17 AM   #18
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wowie..the price hope mine doesn't pack up soon and you've got to get it coded in.
I get trade discount on that. More often than not eurocarparts have discount codes on their website which sometimes gets you 50% off batteries.

Coding is just a matter of pressing a button in a scan tool, just resets everything so the system knows how to behave with a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 05:23 AM   #19
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I've had my battery alert come up a couple of times over the last few weeks.

I haven't been driving it much given the COVID-19 situation - stuck it on charge overnight and it has been fine ever since.

F10s are notorious for consuming batteries so I might get in the habit of popping it on charge until this pandemic situation settles down.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 05:34 AM   #20
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
What charger have you got and where do you connect it up.
I've got this one, and connect it to the under bonnet positive/negative posts as per the recommendation in the owner's manual.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60060.50
      04-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #21
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok just one more thing, you don't disconnect the car battery when you start charging it..
If you disconnect the battery how would you charge it via the underbonnet connections? Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #22
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
If you disconnect the battery how would you charge it via the underbonnet connections? Just saying.
I'm not good with batteries.. have a 12V Battery Pulse charger 5A, input voltage 100-240VAC 50/60Hz 75W can I use this or does it have to be a proper trickle charger.
Appreciate 0