08-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #23
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyfeller View Post
IRCC yeah i think that's the right number of modules.

Their combos aren't the best thought out though if you think about it though. Instead of white and another color they should have done BMW orange/the other color. The reason I'm saying that is because when you switch to "classic" on the iDrive the theme is orange. The overhead LEDs, under-dash LEDs, speaker LEDs etc will be orange. Ok great. But then what color will the other ambient lights be then? They'll clash. You'd ideally want the other color to go with the "modern" theme because the white LEDs overhead LEDs, under-dash LEDs, speaker etc. will go with any color basically. Perhaps this is not a big deal for most people because those locations have really dim LEDs to begin with, but it's just worth thinking about.

This just shows how obsessed I am and why I went with the total aftermarket replacement option. With this option the combo is either orange or a nice light blue (replaces the white) and is what I use most of the time. It works perfect with the "modern" setting (white accents) and my silverstone full leather.

My only problem is that it's TOO bright now. Lol. The OEM dimmer control works but then the gauges get too dim for my taste. But I have a workaround for this which is in mentioned in another thread.

Anyways this is all just mentioned for those thinking of doing an upgrade. If you want the easier and reversible route, replacing these modules is the way to go.
Good point, The colors should have been reversed as you say.
I went red/white and ordered 12 of them, red should work OK with the classic orange.
Since the brightness can be adjusted both on the iDrive and the instrument dimmer on the LCI model and my black leather, I guess I should be able to find a brightness that works.
I just hope I can actually get to see them now
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 06:36 AM   #24
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

I'll bring some closure to this thread.

I got a full kit (12) red/white LED modules from Benzinfabrik and they arrived yesterday.

First some info about the order.
-Website is in German only
-Shipping was cheap (€7) and quite quick (10 days delivery)
-Total cost including 21% German tax €114.4
-They did not have an export option where I didn't pay German tax, and since my country has a 25% tax on total shipment value, I paid double tax. I ended up paying another €42.5 in tax/handling fees, making the total €157. Pitty since I really should not have paid German tax, but there was no export option. A well, its only €20.....

I managed to get them all installed in about 1,5 hours, the first side was a bit of a learning curve, how to get the LED modules out of the door panel and the best way to pop them open, I also had to do 3 of then while attached to the door panel as I was unable to separate the LED module from the fiber optic part, this was both rear door trim strips and the right rear door storage compartment, which added to the time.

The result was great, I now have visible ambient lights, even against my black interior, the option to dim both in the iDrive and the instrument dimmer makes it possible to get the right adjustment made.
I test drove last night and even at max the lights were not really bothering me, if I should be picky, the storage compartments and the door handles could have been slightly dimmer, but I can't really complain, and if they become too intrusive, I'll just dim all of them a little.
To specify, the reflection in the chrome door handle is the issue, and anything you may have in the storage compartments is reflecting a lot of light.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s

Last edited by Noggie; 08-21-2021 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #25
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Send some pics Noggie

Sounds like a easy install with excellent results.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #26
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Managed to get some pictures taken in my garage with light off.
only thing other than the ambient light is the front/rear parking lights, and the doorway illumination lights.

my iPhone pictures don't show the result 100%, but there is a vast improvement.

Shows both the now red classic, and the white modern look, both colors are at max setting.

all in all I'm very happy with this.
Attached Images

-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 3
      08-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #27
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Sweet. Looks like my next project.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #28
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

Very impressive, especially considering that's against black. Glad to see it worked out for you.

AliExpress sells virtually everything for the F10. I'm really surprised these LED boards have not been developed a long time ago in China. Instead there are tons of these complete LED rigid strip replacement kits out there made over there. If your goal is to be able to have multicolor LEDs and have the ability to cycle through many colors, I guess it makes sense to change it all out. Most of us don't need to change the color 100s of times. IMO it's just a gimmick to show friends and gets old quick. I'm ok with just 2 colors

What most of us require is more brightness. And that's what this kit provides. Shipping seems to be the biggest obstacle, to get them out to the US. I wish we could get this on Amazon or EBay.

But then again looking why you paid, wow about $135 USD? (Without the import duties) That's a lot considering how cheap they are to produce. If they were made in the SE Asia somewhere it would easily be 1/3rd cost. Oh well, can't do anything about it. The option doesn't exist.
      08-21-2021, 01:37 PM   #29
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Very impressive, especially considering that's against black. Glad to see it worked out for you.

AliExpress sells virtually everything for the F10. I'm really surprised these LED boards have not been developed a long time ago in China. Instead there are tons of these complete LED rigid strip replacement kits out there made over there. If your goal is to be able to have multicolor LEDs and have the ability to cycle through many colors, I guess it makes sense to change it all out. Most of us don't need to change the color 100s of times. IMO it's just a gimmick to show friends and gets old quick. I'm ok with just 2 colors

What most of us require is more brightness. And that's what this kit provides. Shipping seems to be the biggest obstacle, to get them out to the US. I wish we could get this on Amazon or EBay.

But then again looking why you paid, wow about $135 USD? (Without the import duties) That's a lot considering how cheap they are to produce. If they were made in the SE Asia somewhere it would easily be 1/3rd cost. Oh well, can't do anything about it. The option doesn't exist.
Should be an easy thing to make for sure, but I guess the Chinese want to go for the "show factor", I have spent a lot of time in different Asian countries, and they do like their colorful lights, probably isn't a local market for "just a brightness upgrade".

They were expensive, but cheaper than to go with the updated OEM replacement, thats why I decided to pull the trigger.
However the 21% German tax should have been removed for export, cutting the price by a good $25. But I guess they haven't set up their shop for that.

Shipping is becoming expensive many places, but I will have to say that the US is probably the worst when it comes to shipping to other countries these days.
5-10 years ago I would usually pay $8-15 to get more or less anything shipped to me, these days I find most places charge $40-60 to ship to Europe.
I once wrote a company and asked if they were serious, my item cost $42, and that wanted $48 in shipping...... I ended up finding the product on eBay in a different country as I was not paying more in shipping than the item cost me.
That is why I happily paid the €7 in shipping for these LED's.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #30
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Looks outstanding! I just ordered a set of white/orange.

Thanks for the insight. I won’t be swapping the door handle LEDs as I don’t want them any brighter than OEM. I’ll just be doing the four door trims and storage pockets.
Appreciate 1
Noggie285.00
      08-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #31
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Quote:

Should be an easy thing to make for sure, but I guess the Chinese want to go for the "show factor", I have spent a lot of time in different Asian countries, and they do like their colorful lights, probably isn't a local market for "just a brightness upgrade".

They were expensive, but cheaper than to go with the updated OEM replacement, thats why I decided to pull the trigger.
However the 21% German tax should have been removed for export, cutting the price by a good $25. But I guess they haven't set up their shop for that.

Shipping is becoming expensive many places, but I will have to say that the US is probably the worst when it comes to shipping to other countries these days.
5-10 years ago I would usually pay $8-15 to get more or less anything shipped to me, these days I find most places charge $40-60 to ship to Europe.
I once wrote a company and asked if they were serious, my item cost $42, and that wanted $48 in shipping...... I ended up finding the product on eBay in a different country as I was not paying more in shipping than the item cost me.
That is why I happily paid the €7 in shipping for these LED's.
Yeah shipping out internationally from here is absurd prices. Yet to receive items here from places like China is absurdly cheap. I have had items shipped here for $2-$5 etc. and can't understand how there is any profit. Try to send it back and forget about it.
      08-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #32
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Thanks for the pics and write-up Noggie - that looks so much better!!
Appreciate 1
Noggie285.00
      09-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #33
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

Just bought 8x LED modules white / orange 605, will report back after installation
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #34
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Anyone know the difference between red, orange, and orange 605? Which one would be closest to the stock Classic?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #35
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
Anyone know the difference between red, orange, and orange 605? Which one would be closest to the stock Classic?
I just installed white/orange 605, it's basically identical to the original orange, just brighter. I'm very happy and will post pics of the install soon 👍🏻
Appreciate 3
m5rosco210.50
walmark85.50
Noggie285.00
      09-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #36
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD-1983 View Post
Quote:
I just installed white/orange 605, it's basically identical to the original orange, just brighter. I'm very happy and will post pics of the install soon 👍🏻
So, here are a few pics of the install. It's not necessary to completely unhook the door panels, just unclip them and support them with a low table. Then open the tabs on the LED modules with a small screwdriver, remove the original LED inserts and insert the benzinfabrik version. I will post pics of the brightness when it's darker outside, but I can tell you that they are noticeably brighter than OEM. And I just replaced the upper and lower lights, not the door handles 👍🏻
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      09-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #37
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Thanks SCD-1983! I just placed an order for 12 of those. Looking forward to the project!
How hard is it to remove the door panels? I've seen some videos and it seems straightforward, although there looks to be a risk of clips breaking when removing the door handle cup.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #38
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks SCD-1983! I just placed an order for 12 of those. Looking forward to the project!
How hard is it to remove the door panels? I've seen some videos and it seems straightforward, although there looks to be a risk of clips breaking when removing the door handle cup.
Thanks just use a plastic trim
removal tool and pry carefully around the trim, sometimes it requires some force! The door handle cover must be loosened first on the swivel side bottom, then the opposite side top, again with a trim removal tool. I will try to take pics on the weekend 👍🏻
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #39
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Xdrive

Great thread guys! I just ordered 12 orange 605/white for my F10. The factory ambient lights used to look great on my Pre LCI 2012 F10 with Dakota beige but on my new LCI F10 with Mocha Nappa...I can hardly see it!

Have you guys faced any heat issues with the higher output now?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #40
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I'm quite happy with the standard illumination but those interior light updates look cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #41
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FOREVER View Post
Have you guys faced any heat issues with the higher output now?
Won't be an issue with LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #42
F10_M5_Competition
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD-1983 View Post
So, here are a few pics of the install. It's not necessary to completely unhook the door panels, just unclip them and support them with a low table. Then open the tabs on the LED modules with a small screwdriver, remove the original LED inserts and insert the benzinfabrik version. I will post pics of the brightness when it's darker outside, but I can tell you that they are noticeably brighter than OEM. And I just replaced the upper and lower lights, not the door handles ����
Is the glovebox area plug and play just like the door panels?

Last edited by F10_M5_Competition; 09-16-2021 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 11:36 PM   #43
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Installed my orange/white kit today. I bought 8, ended up only using 4. I didn’t like how bright the door pocket lights were so I put the stock back in. Love the brightness under the interior trim tho. How it should’ve come from the factory!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 12:35 AM   #44
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I installed 8 LEDs, including the storage compartments. I really like the outcome, noticeable upgrade and easy DIY 👍🏻
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
m5rosco210.50