01-22-2024, 02:21 PM   #1
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Hi guys, need some advice here. I’m planning on upgrading my iDrive to an Android unit with Carplay etc and while I’m at it I decided to install a camera on my front bumper to assist while parking. I already have the OEM Surround View option but there is no front view included like the newer models. In London the kerb comes in various heights and its quite a challenge to judge how close you are. So far my car is stock apart from some minor aesthetic upgrades (front grille, side vents) so I'm a bit nervous about this DIY.

The front camera would be fixed at the spot marked in the photo, as low as possible so I can see where the lip ends. The Android screen comes with the feature where I can view the camera anytime I want. Now the tricky bit is to route the camera cable through the engine compartment and into the cabin, all the way to the screen. I've searched online but haven't found a lot of instructions on this, at least not for the F10.

Ideally if someone can guide me how to attach the camera without having to take the whole bumper off and route the cable into the cabin with minimal removal of parts/trim? The dash trim will be removed anyway for the screen installation but I'm not very confident of removing much else. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, as always!

2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 03:09 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

So you're having the camera in front of the grille?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 03:28 PM   #3
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
So you're having the camera in front of the grille?
Yes. I haven't received the camera yet but apparently it goes in front of the bottom grille and screws into a bracket at the back so I may need to be able to reach behind the grille for tightening the bracket. The camera can pivot for correct positioning, I plan to point it downward at the lip edge.
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 04:54 PM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrko View Post
Yes. I haven't received the camera yet but apparently it goes in front of the bottom grille and screws into a bracket at the back so I may need to be able to reach behind the grille for tightening the bracket. The camera can pivot for correct positioning, I plan to point it downward at the lip edge.
The only thing is it'll be exposed and well..being in London a thief could break it off. As far as wiring back to the dash it looks like an awful job but somehow thread the wires to the bulkhead against the engine bay walls but from there it gets more tricky getting to the cabin which is probably why you can't find instructions.
I'd consider asking a radio/accessory fitter who has the equipment to snake a way to the cabin.
Appreciate 1
darrko62.50