04-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

'High' Mileage F10, guidance needed

Hi,

I just put in a deposit for a '14 M5 with 60,000 miles. The cat is out of the bag, however, was hoping for some guidance as the following events have occurred:

1. Local mechanic who I paid to get the car inspected said there were few leaks and may need a new engine gasket. Tires & rotors may need to be replaced within 5K miles.

2. We are expecting our first - twins.

3. The Audi dealer who has this car, 1500 miles away, refuses to fix the issue or offer any extended warranty.

The rational in me tells me to walk away, however, this is the exact build config I was looking for, including the red on white combo. As far as a good deal goes, its a fair deal but I am getting all of my boxes checked with the exception of the mileage, its 10K over than my comfort.

Some pro or sound advise will be appreciate. Owned an e90 and always wanted to experience the f10 in 6 speed.

Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Run Forest, ru........
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Had to come in on this one before turning in.1500 miles away is a definite no to me and on top of that the worn out brakes/tyres and leaks and then transportation? Come on.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Walk away. There are plenty out there to choose from you will find something that won't need that work. cut your loses now not when you putting thousands into because the dealer refused to do the right thing in the first place. plus you have twins on the way, which btw congrats.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
mrtt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46/E60/E92/F10/E55

Head gasket job is about ~20 hr on the E60 M5 platform and I'm sure F10 is no different. Dealership is refusing to repair because they know it's a big job. I would personally walk if they don't take care of the problem before you pick up the car. Have patience, there will always be better car/deal
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:45 PM   #6
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5

I'm with the others on this one my friend. Congrats on the twins!
If you ever feel hesitation about an M car because of issues it currently has or parts like brakes and tires that have to be changed almost immediately then I would definitely walk away, wait for the right deal without any hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:36 AM   #7
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Good job getting a PPI done!

What "engine gasket"? There's a huge swing in cost depending what is leaking.

Brakes will cost you $2k per axle parts and labor. You can do them yourself and will save some money but the parts are still expensive. Also, these rotors last a long time and I don't suggest replacing them unless they are under minimum thickness. A "pad slap" could be pretty cheap.

Tires are another $1.5k- $2k with mount/balance.

I wouldn't worry about having 60k miles. I bought mine with 49k miles back in October. It was right where I wanted to be/could afford WITH all the options and 6MT that I wanted. I'm now at 60k miles and I've done nothing except normal fluid/filter changes. The car itself is no different now than it was at 49k... food for thought.

In your case, that dealer should negotiate on the PPI results. If they won't lower the price by $2k or more, they should replace some of the brakes or new tires... something to make it worthwhile for you. Us 6 speed buyers go into the fight without a weapon however. A lot of places know how rare the 6MT is and will hold you over a barrel on price.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep

Thank you all. Till I read the last post and a walk in the park last evening, I was going to pass since this is too big of a risk to undertake. The biggest unknown is that this is unseen. I did a video call with the mechanic when he did the walk through, the car looked pristine but the issues seem to be under the hood, etc.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about having 60k miles. I bought mine with 49k miles back in October. It was right where I wanted to be/could afford WITH all the options and 6MT that I wanted. I'm now at 60k miles and I've done nothing except normal fluid/filter changes. The car itself is no different now than it was at 49k... food for thought.

In your case, that dealer should negotiate on the PPI results. If they won't lower the price by $2k or more, they should replace some of the brakes or new tires... something to make it worthwhile for you. Us 6 speed buyers go into the fight without a weapon however. A lot of places know how rare the 6MT is and will hold you over a barrel on price.
That was my exact hope when I put my deposit, 60K miles and a 2014 - it cannot be that bad. The pre-inspection scared me away, maybe the reason the last owner gave up the car after 17 days of ownership. Your quotes were bang on from what I got. The mechanic who did this pre-inspection quoted me ~$3000 (parts & labor) for everything but tires. I'll try to get more information on the gasket. The Audi dealership is claiming that this car passed or went through Audi's CPO checklist, and all issues if surfaced would have been fixed. They sent me the thickness on the the brakes and its 6 for the front and 5 for the back. I am okay with it since this is going to be a weekend drive and I plan to get an extended warranty on this one.

Trying to get more information. Also, I requested my regular BMW SA to pull
the car's service reports and its not good news. After the warranty expired in 2017, there are no public service records and the car has been to an auto auction in that time frame and changes two owners.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTron View Post
Thank you all. Till I read the last post and a walk in the park last evening, I was going to pass since this is too big of a risk to undertake. The biggest unknown is that this is unseen. I did a video call with the mechanic when he did the walk through, the car looked pristine but the issues seem to be under the hood, etc.

Quote:

That was my exact hope when I put my deposit, 60K miles and a 2014 - it cannot be that bad. The pre-inspection scared me away, maybe the reason the last owner gave up the car after 17 days of ownership. Your quotes were bang on from what I got. The mechanic who did this pre-inspection quoted me ~$3000 (parts & labor) for everything but tires. I'll try to get more information on the gasket. The Audi dealership is claiming that this car passed or went through Audi's CPO checklist, and all issues if surfaced would have been fixed. They sent me the thickness on the the brakes and its 6 for the front and 5 for the back. I am okay with it since this is going to be a weekend drive and I plan to get an extended warranty on this one.

the car's service reports and its not good news. After the warranty expired in 2017, there are no public service records and the car has been to an auto auction in that time frame and changes two owners.
Definitely walk away. you'll find another. too many red flags.
      04-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #10
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Is it a 6MT?

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:

ouch, that sucks...
but if it makes you feel any better, i looked for almost a year.. 500 mile radius and even called on ones i would have to get trailered to me. i still ended up out of state and didnt get certain options i wanted but i got condition i wanted or at least seemingly so bc i cant look inside the motor, but its been nothing short of everything i ever expected and then some ..and i cant say that about many things in this life.

just look obsessively and youll find a winner

if you dont stop until you find what youre looking for, you will not have lost your labor
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep

Yes, I agree. It's a hard pill to swallow specially when it meets all of my needs with the exception of the high mileage it has on it. That combined with the missing service history is bad news.

I thought on it over the weekend, and the risk is too high compared to the rewards. I will be passing on this one and continuing with my search. Reading around the forum it seems it's an average search period of 4-10 months. I am just into my second month.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #13
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Is it a 6MT?
Yes Sir its a unicorn!
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60062.50
      05-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #14
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep

Patience paid off, closed a deal on a low mileage CPO vehicle last vehicle and drove it back home. Hoping the CPO gives me some breathing space..

P.S. More pics to follow. Photos are from the date of pick-up, car needs some TLC after braving through the mid-west tornados. The Pzeros handled beautifully through the rain.

Thank you for the guidance and its feels great to be back to the faMily.
Attached Images

05-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #15
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Very nice! Now don't black everything out and enjoy a good looking car!

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60062.50
pcohen15379.50
      05-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #16
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBull View Post
Very nice! Now don't black everything out and enjoy a good looking car!
I passed up on a Black on Black model in favor of this one. Need some color. I may put some window tints but that is the extent.
      05-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #17
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I passed up on a Black on Black model in favor of this one. Need some color. I may put some window tints but that is the extent.
Is the interior Sakhir?
      05-31-2019, 08:11 AM   #18
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohen15 View Post
Is the interior Sakhir?
Yes, it was one of my top 3 needs.
      05-31-2019, 02:21 PM   #19
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it was one of my top 3 needs.
Mine, too. Bet you get comments every time you swing a door open.
      06-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #20
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep

Yes, totally. Just a PITA keeping it clean.