Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Thinking of 2016 Manual F10

All. Thinking of purchasing a preowned 2016 Manual transmission F10 It is low miles a year left of warranty and maintenance. Anything I should know of these before possibly purchasing. Price seems to be at a bit of a premium compared to similar DCT models. You all think this will always be the case being the last manual V8 BMW?

Any transmission issues I should know about? Be great to hear from any experiences from other manual F10 owners?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz View Post
All. Thinking of purchasing a preowned 2016 Manual transmission F10 It is low miles a year left of warranty and maintenance. Anything I should know of these before possibly purchasing. Price seems to be at a bit of a premium compared to similar DCT models. You all think this will always be the case being the last manual V8 BMW?

Any transmission issues I should know about? Be great to hear from any experiences from other manual F10 owners?
From what I've read, the manual is less tolerant to high hp/tq than the dct...and the dct really isn't all that "tolerant" to begin with. Also, as much as I love manuals, every review I've ever seen/read says that the s63 is more suited to the DCT than the manual. It's a better experience. I've never driven a manual f10 M5 so I can't compare, but the dct in this car really is incredible...outside of low speed/traffic applications.

Other than that, it's just the basic F10 M5 stuff. These cars aren't cheap to maintain so keep that in mind.
      06-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Seattle996
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
From what I've read, the manual is less tolerant to high hp/tq than the dct...and the dct really isn't all that "tolerant" to begin with. Also, as much as I love manuals, every review I've ever seen/read says that the s63 is more suited to the DCT than the manual. It's a better experience. I've never driven a manual f10 M5 so I can't compare, but the dct in this car really is incredible...outside of low speed/traffic applications.

Other than that, it's just the basic F10 M5 stuff. These cars aren't cheap to maintain so keep that in mind.
I actually heard the exact opposite. My tuner claims the manual can handle up to 900hp.. so who knows. But there is no slippage issues at all.

With that said, I absolutely love this car in a 6MT. I have it BPM tuned.. it is amazing. Its just the perfect combo. I have no issues whatsoever with driveability on soft shifts or slamming the gears. It even rev matches on downshifts if your into that

Not to say that the DCT isn't fun.. I've just always owned manual cars and I love rowing through the gears. My E39 M5 & E60 M5 were also manual... so maybe I have an issue
Appreciate 3
Ickdeep5718.50
pcohen15379.50
94jedi829.00
      06-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

I have a 6MT and absolutely love it. I have seen slippage issues (mine is not tuned and is as close to stock as it gets). I do observe slippage only at high rev's and only on rare occasions. They are not blatantly noticeable but do exist. They exist on the DCT as well.

Yes, the 6M tranny in this car can handle upwards of 900 bhp. It's what you prefer, I can tell you that you will enjoy driving the DCT if you only do city driving or long 70 mph freeways. However, if you plan to use it on curved roads, less stop-n-go traffic streets then you will absolutely love the 6MT .. to each his/her own.

What I hate the most about the 6 MT is the layout of the idrive, the gear knob and coffee cup holder. I almost have spilled my morning joe at least twice in the first week that I owned this car and its a PITA to clean.
      06-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

Aside from the well documented oil consumption issue these cars tend to have, I absolutely enjoy every minute with my manual M5. Its the last of its kind and a truly engaged driving experience. I sit in traffic and take it to the canyons when I can. I couldn't imagine living without a manual.

GO get it. You won't regret it.
      06-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
No known issues with the 6MT. Also agree with the last few posters that I have also read/heard (and logically it makes sense) that the 6MT will hold more power than the DCT. I heard 800 - 1,000 whp, so the 900 listed above seems reasonable. In order to go that high you would have a built motor and if doing that would probably install an uprated clutch/PP anyway.

All you need to do (IMO) is change the fluid regularly (every 50k miles) and drive it like any other manual car. I HIGHLY recommend removing the CDV as soon as you pick up the car. I waited way too long before removing mine. It's such a better drive without it. I also installed a Rogue SSK at the same time (last weekend). Pricey, and maybe worth the money, maybe not. Definitely pay a huge premium as the parts only fit the manual 550i's and the M5.

In summary, if you're even considering the 6MT, definitely go for it! I absolutely love mine and think it drives great especially after the 2 upgrades I mentioned (CDV delete and new shifter).
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #7
Chauncey.Bishop
Big girls don't cry.
India
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle996 View Post
With that said, I absolutely love this car in a 6MT. I have it BPM tuned.. it is amazing. Its just the perfect combo. I have no issues whatsoever with driveability on soft shifts or slamming the gears. It even rev matches on downshifts if your into that
Quote:
Originally Posted by pTron View Post
I have a 6MT and absolutely love it. I have seen slippage issues (mine is not tuned and is as close to stock as it gets). I do observe slippage only at high rev's and only on rare occasions. They are not blatantly noticeable but do exist. They exist on the DCT as well.

Yes, the 6M tranny in this car can handle upwards of 900 bhp. It's what you prefer, I can tell you that you will enjoy driving the DCT if you only do city driving or long 70 mph freeways. However, if you plan to use it on curved roads, less stop-n-go traffic streets then you will absolutely love the 6MT .. to each his/her own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERFM3 View Post
Aside from the well documented oil consumption issue these cars tend to have, I absolutely enjoy every minute with my manual M5. Its the last of its kind and a truly engaged driving experience. I sit in traffic and take it to the canyons when I can. I couldn't imagine living without a manual.

GO get it. You won't regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
No known issues with the 6MT. Also agree with the last few posters that I have also read/heard (and logically it makes sense) that the 6MT will hold more power than the DCT. I heard 800 - 1,000 whp, so the 900 listed above seems reasonable. In order to go that high you would have a built motor and if doing that would probably install an uprated clutch/PP anyway.

All you need to do (IMO) is change the fluid regularly (every 50k miles) and drive it like any other manual car. I HIGHLY recommend removing the CDV as soon as you pick up the car. I waited way too long before removing mine. It's such a better drive without it. I also installed a Rogue SSK at the same time (last weekend). Pricey, and maybe worth the money, maybe not. Definitely pay a huge premium as the parts only fit the manual 550i's and the M5.

In summary, if you're even considering the 6MT, definitely go for it! I absolutely love mine and think it drives great especially after the 2 upgrades I mentioned (CDV delete and new shifter).
I love how all the 6-speed owners come out of the shadows every time a thread like this comes up and you can certainly add me to the list. Owning this car with a true manual gearbox has been a dream come true, my wife and I drive my stage 2 M5 HARD, we've never had any issues with it. If you can get your hands on a rare LCI 6-speed, you better hurry up and get it before the opportunity disappears forever.
      06-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
lotus49
Private
England
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

I live in the UK where almost all cars are manual and I've only ever owned one automatic before my M5 and that was a Mercedes C350 which had a torque converter.

I generally prefer a manual to a torque converter auto because you decide which gear you need, not the car. However, I can't see why you'd want a manual rather than a DCT. The DCT seems to have all the advantages of a manual and none of the disadvantages of a torque converter auto.

Why would you want slow manual gear changes rather than fast manual gear changes?
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
I live in the UK where almost all cars are manual and I've only ever owned one automatic before my M5 and that was a Mercedes C350 which had a torque converter.

I generally prefer a manual to a torque converter auto because you decide which gear you need, not the car. However, I can't see why you'd want a manual rather than a DCT. The DCT seems to have all the advantages of a manual and none of the disadvantages of a torque converter auto.

Why would you want slow manual gear changes rather than fast manual gear changes?
I love my DCT M5 but coming from two manual M3's (e90/e46), I can tell you that the engagement, the visceral feeling, the feeling when you grab the sifter like when the symbiote from the movie venom starts crawling up your arm and becoming part of you...that's what's missing.

Again, I love my DCT and wouldn't own this car in a manual, but the feeling of rowing through the gears and being one w/ the car is not one that can be replicated without involvement from your left foot. Yes, DCT cars are faster, shift faster, etc. No argument there.
      06-11-2019, 12:17 PM   #10
Chesie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 530i X-Drive

Garage List
I wonder if you are looking at my 2016 M5 6MT? G343600. Singapore Grey with Sakhir Orange leather. I traded it in after 2y for a 2019 M6 6MT last November. If so, that car was absolutely flawless for me the whole time I owned it.

If not, I can only echo what some of the others have said, in that the M5 in manual is one helluva lot of fun to drive. If you enjoy a manual transmission, you will love this car. Whether or not it is 0.1s slower off the line than a DCT means nothing to me. The connection to the car a manual provides means everything, at least in a fast car.

As an aside, the M6 is at least as much fun to drive. It is lower to the ground and "feels" faster. I don't see myself parting with this car.

Have fun!

Danny
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #11
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesie View Post
I wonder if you are looking at my 2016 M5 6MT? G343600. Singapore Grey with Sakhir Orange leather. I traded it in after 2y for a 2019 M6 6MT last November. If so, that car was absolutely flawless for me the whole time I owned it.

If not, I can only echo what some of the others have said, in that the M5 in manual is one helluva lot of fun to drive. If you enjoy a manual transmission, you will love this car. Whether or not it is 0.1s slower off the line than a DCT means nothing to me. The connection to the car a manual provides means everything, at least in a fast car.

As an aside, the M6 is at least as much fun to drive. It is lower to the ground and "feels" faster. I don't see myself parting with this car.

Have fun!

Danny
No this is on the west coast local car space gray on black. Exec driver assist and standard 19" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
Chesie
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No this is on the west coast local car space gray on black. Exec driver assist and standard 19" wheels.
Gotcha. The 19" wheels would make me sad, and I would have to replace them, but that's no big deal. I had one of the last F10 M5's (9/1/16 build date). The car had zero problems the whole time I had it, and I turned it in with 29,205 miles on the clock. Just an incredibly fun car to have and drive. Good luck! I'm sure you will fall in love with the 6MT M5, after you take her for a test drive.

Regards,

Danny
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #13
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesie View Post
Gotcha. The 19" wheels would make me sad, and I would have to replace them, but that's no big deal. I had one of the last F10 M5's (9/1/16 build date). The car had zero problems the whole time I had it, and I turned it in with 29,205 miles on the clock. Just an incredibly fun car to have and drive. Good luck! I'm sure you will fall in love with the 6MT M5, after you take her for a test drive.

Regards,

Danny
I took it for about a 45 minute drive, absolutely loved it, reminded me of my 2011 E90 manual but a bit larger.
And yes I agree the 19" wheels do not look the part but the ride is much nicer than ones I've driven on the 20's
Loved the car but really struggling with their pricing asking $62K car has 16K miles warranty through June 2020. They are an Autonation dealer so their one price policy is getting in the way of a good negotiation.
Appreciate 1
Chesie47.00
      06-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #14
atillathetom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bike

I know which car you are considering. I have owned two 2014 6Mt M5s and a 2017 6MT M6 and one 14 DCT. 6MT is the winner. People who like manuals like manuals. Go get it. That sounds like a fair price for a 16 6MT car. You aren't stealing it but its pretty close. If it checks all your boxes I wouldn't get hung up on a couple grand to have the car you want. I just purchase and am waiting on delivery of a 16 6MT car that is Space Grey over full sahkir. I paid about the same but have full leather and comp pack. 25k miles. Looking forward to getting back into the F10.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #15
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
That's a nice car. My first M5 was a 2000 E39 M5 and it was a blast, albeit a little clunky of a shifter. I think they were all manual transmission back then. I fell in love with the car with that old BMW M films video with Clive Owen driving Madonna around NYC real fast, with her spilling her coffee in the back, that was a hoot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1dYv_gKTA8 I bought it around 2012 with the mileage in the low $50k's, put new rotors and pads on it, and sold it probably six months later feeling a little nervous about the fragility of the motor.

I've had a couple of C6 Z06's recently before getting back into my current F10 M5, and you know, even my low mileage 2012 Z06 didn't shift all that smooth. Good but not great. While I'd probably prefer the ZF eight speed over the Getrag 7 speed DCT, I've grown to prefer an automatic because unless I'm tracking the car on a road course, the manual is just more practical. I dumped my 600hp LS7 Z06 in the sake of practicality so an auto just made sense. The DCT is a little squirlely edging it into the garage as it will stop on you when going slow, because there is not torque converter. I had a 2014 Chevrolet SS and liked it, but then a year later they started offering it with a manual and those were pretty sought after and hard to find. Just food for thought.

I believe this is the car you are looking at below. Remember that value is always relative, and when we're talking about a low production vehicle with lower miles, you only have so many options. Dealers like to value used vehicles based on recent auction comps and when there aren't that many to look at, the values can be skewed. They only made 577 manual transmissions F10 M5's which were all only available in the US. To some there is value, to others it will be a detriment. This is the USA, you can always throw out a number and say to them when they get to it, give you a call. But look at the Carfax, it's only been for sale since 5/30, so they are likely not going to budge too far for now.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6273/overview/

Here's a comparable 2016 that is BMW CPO, so it's got a little more warranty. I love the 343M wheels, so to me that is worth something. Has the expensive ceramic brakes which are, well expensive and better suited for the track than the street. But no Competition package.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2866/overview/

That all being said, look at what that kind of money can get you in a G30 M550, which with the x-drive makes for a vehicle almost as fast as the F10 M5. 2018 M550 (456hp/479 tq) with 1.9k miles, $61.9k. 0-60 in 4.0 seconds. And a lot more warranty.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0829/overview/

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #16
rene316
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 F10

Quote:

I recently bought a preowned 2013 M5 (F10) with only 40K miles, manual transmission (6-speed) and I love it! It is pricey to maintain those cars, but for a weekend luxury car with power, it's perfect! As long as you keep up with all the maintenance, it should last you a long time! As far as the transmission is concerned, I haven't had any problems thus far. As a matter of fact, I am thinking about getting a clutch stop for it so I need to do some research to see what my options are. That'll make it a smoother ride in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #17
Chesie
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
FWIW, my M5 (mentioned above) sold for $61.9, with 29k miles, CPO, and warranty til 2020. That price sounds good for your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #18
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

The price is right - its is not the best deal but is a good deal. If you look at the books - all F10 M5s with 6 MT and even hours worth of warranty are being priced at least 10-15% higher than DCTs with the same offerings. Your car is lower in mileage and hence the dealer is demanding another small premium.
      07-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #19
f10buddha
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 6 speed

6mt>DCT

I purchased my 2014 6MT M5 last year with 140,000km and i can say i absolutely love the car! I did purchase extended warranty from AutoXtra for peace of mind and i have only had to use it once to replace a clutch hose. I read somewhere that there were only 577 6MTs f10s ever shipped to north america so they are rare to come across. My car currently has 165,000km and it drives flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #20
spiff
The Dr
Rep
Drives: M20 Saloon, F800S

New 6MT owner here. Nothing to add here that hasn't already been said. I'm a manual guy through and through so I bought it for the experience not the lap time. I love it and it makes the car feel a lot more special (to me).
      07-11-2019, 05:43 AM   #21
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f10buddha View Post
I purchased my 2014 6MT M5 last year with 140,000km and i can say i absolutely love the car! I did purchase extended warranty from AutoXtra for peace of mind and i have only had to use it once to replace a clutch hose. I read somewhere that there were only 577 6MTs f10s ever shipped to north america so they are rare to come across. My car currently has 165,000km and it drives flawlessly.
Interesting that you had to replace the clutch hose. Mine was "seeping" so I replaced it when I removed the CDV. Car only had 49k when it started seeping. I replaced it at roughly 60k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #22
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Quote:

If you read up you'll see that yes it does look like the f10 is the last MT M5/M6. You'll find that "demand has dropped to zero" quote.

Not enough original owner buyers purchased a MT M5 so BMW will not offer it in the future.
Appreciate 0