M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

05-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
VADER332
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Gen 6 Camaro SS

Coolant alert

In M mode everything sport plus, I accelerated hard from red lights twice in the span of about 4 minutes. I got the top off coolant alert after the second time. I stopped the car, and didn't see any leaks. I started the car back up and the alarm did not come back on. I drove 5 minutes to get home and the light never came back on again. I checked the coolant levels. The small reservoir on the passenger side was close to the minimum mark. I added some coolant. I could not see any coolant in the large reservoir on the driver’s side. I am puzzled. Has this happened to anyone else? Do I add anymore coolant to the large reservoir on the driver’s side of the engine? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Same thing happened to me in this now hot weather I got a low coolant alert while in stop and go traffic. It went away after restarting the car.

but I was getting a oil change done the same day so when we check the small tank was bone dry so I added to the max mark and added a good amount on the other side too.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
VADER332
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Gen 6 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
Same thing happened to me in this now hot weather I got a low coolant alert while in stop and go traffic. It went away after restarting the car.

but I was getting a oil change done the same day so when we check the small tank was bone dry so I added to the max mark and added a good amount on the other side too.
Thanks for the info. The small tank was close to full so I topped that one off. I did add about a pint to the larger tank. The light did go away. The large tank was like a bottomless pit. LOL. I wish BMW would have put some type of level gauge on the larger tank.
Appreciate 0