M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
sumitagarwal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

M5 vs M6 suspension differences?

While the M5 and M6 are overall the same platform/chassis, the M6 has significantly different wheel widths and offsets. I'm curious if this is the only change to the suspension/geometry or if there are other suspension differences that work in tandem with the different wheel geometry.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

The hub face to hub face distance is the same on both and a lot of parts are the same if you flock through realoem.com and go through the various part codes.

There are different spring rates for the different cars - obviously the F12 is going to be stiffer in the rear due to the extra 200kg or so if the roof but other than that they are all the same.

Not sure about alignment specs - one chassis type might be given values in a different range to another but that will just be different values, not different hardware.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
sumitagarwal
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
The hub face to hub face distance is the same on both and a lot of parts are the same if you flock through realoem.com and go through the various part codes.

There are different spring rates for the different cars - obviously the F12 is going to be stiffer in the rear due to the extra 200kg or so if the roof but other than that they are all the same.

Not sure about alignment specs - one chassis type might be given values in a different range to another but that will just be different values, not different hardware.
Thanks, super helpful. I've been thinking about using M6 wheels on my M5 (especially since it has available forged 19" wheels that are slightly wider). Or, if not specifically the M6 wheels, I'm eyeballing any wheel geometry that falls between M5 spec and M6 spec as within the ideal range to compliment the rest of the suspension.

While I think the meatier look of the M6 wheels might be nice, I'm far more interested in a car that drives "right" than looks good. My understanding was already that M6 wheels bolt up correctly with tighter but sufficient space in the wheel wells, but I really don't want any adverse handling effects.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

A few people have run the M6 wheels on M5s and they look quite good. Note one thing, while the 10.5" width lets you run 305/30r20 in spec I think I remember reading that on an M5 they'll rub so you can only do 295s on an M5.
      12-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
sumitagarwal
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
A few people have run the M6 wheels on M5s and they look quite good. Note one thing, while the 10.5" width lets you run 305/30r20 in spec I think I remember reading that on an M5 they'll rub so you can only do 295s on an M5.
Yup, that makes sense. It seemed pretty clear to me that it works on non-CP M5, but less clear if it would work with M5 CP springs/etc.

I've also read a few reviews where drivers found the M6 to be more engaging and lively than the M5. I'm wondering if any of that could possibly be attributed to the slightly wider track?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitagarwal View Post
Yup, that makes sense. It seemed pretty clear to me that it works on non-CP M5, but less clear if it would work with M5 CP springs/etc.

I've also read a few reviews where drivers found the M6 to be more engaging and lively than the M5. I'm wondering if any of that could possibly be attributed to the slightly wider track?
I think it is combination of slightly lower centre of gravity, shorter wheelbase, 30kg lighter.

I checked through now on realoem, what I found interesting is that all parts are shared between F10 and F06/12/13 such as the axle carriers, suspension arms, sway bars apart from the springs. As you know of course the Comp Packs have different shocks and sway bars to non Comp Pack cars, but all of those parts are shared for all Comp Pack cars apart from the front springs where there is a small difference, the non-Comp Pack F06/12/13 have a bespoke front spring for each chassis, but the Comp Pack M6s all share the same spring, F06/12/13 although the M5 Comp Pack is different again. For the rear all 4 chassis use different springs.
      12-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #7
sumitagarwal
Enlisted Member
Rep

I noticed that too which was very interesting. And I wondered how much of that was due to the change in track width from wider wheels versus other differences in overall weight distribution throughout the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitagarwal View Post
I noticed that too which was very interesting. And I wondered how much of that was due to the change in track width from wider wheels versus other differences in overall weight distribution throughout the vehicle.
Apart from the F12 the weight distribution is 52/48 +-1% for all versions of the F06/10/13.

Shame we didn't get a transaxle and have more weight at the rear - it'd make the M6 a whole bunch better