M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

05-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #23
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

I have a Quattroporte in CA and I regretted it. In fact I still have it because the second hand value is so low, might as well keep it.

I agree with the reviewer, the engine sounds nice and it drives nice (though of course not as fast as M5/6 which I also have, both in fact), and does have that Italian cachet, but the rest are just behind the Germans. And it's a fact they use Chrysler parts, even Ferrari does too.
I don't know about the new California T, but the old one uses the same radio unit as the Dodge Caravan.

But I guess when it comes to cars like these, you are not buying it for all those latest in-car gadgets.

Last edited by Phatcat; 05-08-2017 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #24
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
I have a Quattroporte in CA and I regretted it. In fact I still have it because the second hand value is so low, might as well keep it.

I agree with the reviewer, the engine sounds nice and it drives nice (though of course not as fast as M5/6 which I also have, both in fact), and does have that Italian cachet, but the rest are just behind the Germans. And it's a fact they use Chrysler parts, even Ferrari does too.
I don't know about the new California T, but the old one uses the same radio unit as the Dodge Caravan.

But I guess when it comes to cars like these, you are not buying it for all those latest in-car gadgets.
The GTS has the 523hp V8 (produced by Ferrari) which is why I chose it. The Maserati line is over priced for sure. That is why I bought the '16 for $40k off the sticker price.

RACE isn't owned by Fiat any longer. As to the Cali being a re-badged (comment by Stealth) Maserati, that isn't even wrong, it's just silly. The Cali has an aluminum chassis and body as compared to steel in the Maserati. The 2017 Cali T is miles past the original California released in 2009 and the tech is actually pretty good. It is the Maserati that uses an engine made by Ferrari, not the other way around. Finally, the sound system in my new Cali T is actually pretty good and it's the stock one which is most certainly not in a Dodge Caravan. The real sound is the engine though, not the radio. I put the top down and drive. The car has outstanding style and draws compliments from most people who see it. They have no idea what model it is and always ask. Lot's of people want to take a picture of it. That didn't happen with my German cars either BMW or Porsche. LOL! That is the Italian cachet for sure. There is a lot to be said for style.

Here is the thing though, if you haven't given the Cali T HS a drive, you should. It's a Ferrari worth owning if you actually want to drive one and not just keep it on the battery tender in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #25
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Oh wait, he loves the Cali T and he didn't even drive the HS

Gee, he seems to love the Cali T. He remarks on how good it sounds and how well it drives. He says the acceleration is unreal. The HS sounds, shifts and drives even better than the standard Cali T. He is drooling so hard the owner better dry the car after they get out. Too bad it was 32 when he drove it or he could have experienced the top down drive.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #26
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Del Frisco's is delicious.
      05-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #27
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Gee, he seems to love the Cali T. He remarks on how good it sounds and how well it drives. He says the acceleration is unreal. The HS sounds, shifts and drives even better than the standard Cali T. He is drooling so hard the owner better dry the car after they get out. Too bad it was 32 when he drove it or he could have experienced the top down drive.

Yes he's a big fan of this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #28
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Well I am not happy about this. I thought they had this fixed when they gave me back the car on Tuesday. After four or five more roof cycles it failed again. Now this does clear eventually. In fact, the last time I thought I had a hard failure I left it overnight and it showed this message first thing in the morning. I drove it to Ferrari and when the tech got in and tried it, the roof cycled properly. They ran diagnostics and got a code for bad sensor so they replaced one of them instead of the whole harness. Maybe Maranello was trying to save some bucks on the warranty repair. This time I am going to insist on a new harness and maybe a new motor too. For $240,000 they are going to do it right, maybe not the first time but it will be done right.

This isn't nearly so bad as the M5 that left me in the middle of the road twice with failed fuel pumps though. I must have bad luck with cars. Of course this could also be the reason so many Ferraris have so few miles, the owners know that a trip to the shop is in the immediate future after a few rides in the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #29
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Three hours later it's working fine, of course if we stick to pattern, it will fail again
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #30
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well I am not happy about this. I thought they had this fixed when they gave me back the car on Tuesday. After four or five more roof cycles it failed again. Now this does clear eventually. In fact, the last time I thought I had a hard failure I left it overnight and it showed this message first thing in the morning. I drove it to Ferrari and when the tech got in and tried it, the roof cycled properly. They ran diagnostics and got a code for bad sensor so they replaced one of them instead of the whole harness. Maybe Maranello was trying to save some bucks on the warranty repair. This time I am going to insist on a new harness and maybe a new motor too. For $240,000 they are going to do it right, maybe not the first time but it will be done right.

This isn't nearly so bad as the M5 that left me in the middle of the road twice with failed fuel pumps though. I must have bad luck with cars. Of course this could also be the reason so many Ferraris have so few miles, the owners know that a trip to the shop is in the immediate future after a few rides in the car.
I did warn you. Italian cars are known for not being reliable.

One of my buddies used to daily drive a Ferrari and was in the shop for a multi-day repair every 3 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #31
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I did warn you. Italian cars are known for not being reliable.

One of my buddies used to daily drive a Ferrari and was in the shop for a multi-day repair every 3 months.
Well that much I was aware of, already been told that by the guys at ATXAutosport since they work on Porsche and Ferrari. My P-car was in the shop plenty for mods and upkeep. You can't drive cars like these and not have them in the shop to stay at the highest edge. Anyway, I am expecting to work this out as break in under the warranty. This is a new car after all. I don't regret getting the car as it's so much better than the 991tts from a driving and riding standpoint, it's also very fast. Much faster than the M5 but obviously not what a 488 or TTS is. I will get some Vbox data at the county road but the car magazines claim 11.3s @ 125mph 1/4 and 3.3s 0-60.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #32
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well that much I was aware of, already been told that by the guys at ATXAutosport since they work on Porsche and Ferrari. My P-car was in the shop plenty for mods and upkeep. You can't drive cars like these and not have them in the shop to stay at the highest edge. Anyway, I am expecting to work this out as break in under the warranty. This is a new car after all. I don't regret getting the car as it's so much better than the 991tts from a driving and riding standpoint, it's also very fast. Much faster than the M5 but obviously not what a 488 or TTS is. I will get some Vbox data at the county road but the car magazines claim 11.3s @ 125mph 1/4 and 3.3s 0-60.
Really? I have never had a warranty claim on my 911 Turbo S.

3.3 0-60 is slow. The E63S can do that too and it's a luxury sedan.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #33
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Give it some more miles. My secondary coolant system failed and was fixed under warranty.

Quote:
3.3 0-60 is slow.
Not in the real world.

Quote:
The E63S can do that too and it's a luxury sedan.
Sure if you fancy driving a big fast boat then fine. I would rather have the QP GTS in that class anyway so I have that covered. Better handling and much classier.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #34
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Give it some more miles. My secondary coolant system failed and was fixed under warranty.

Quote:
3.3 0-60 is slow.
Not in the real world.

Quote:
The E63S can do that too and it's a luxury sedan.
Sure if you fancy driving a big fast boat then fine. I would rather have the QP GTS in that class anyway so I have that covered. Better handling and much classier.
Modern AMG no longer handle like a boat, and as for the Maserati having better handling, do you any tests or reviews to prove it is better than the competition?

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...te/first-drive

The QP that I have is the older NA V8, I admit it does sound glorious.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:45 AM   #35
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Modern AMG no longer handle like a boat, and as for the Maserati having better handling, do you any tests or reviews to prove it is better than the competition?

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...te/first-drive

The QP that I have is the older NA V8, I admit it does sound glorious.
To be fair, I have not driven the AMG so I really can't make a direct comparison but to me, the AMG is unattractive, not so the QP GTS. The GTS drives better than my M5 did and Car and Driver liked the handling and steering of the GTS.

The QP is for the wife, not me and she is extremely pleased with it so that is all I really need to say about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #36
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:

Damn man sorry for your luck, although in the world of Italians if all that goes wrong for you is this roof / harness that's not too bad.

Personally I know a guy on my fb friendslist who bought his 458 new in 2013 and has 70k miles on it and trouble free. My r8 I'm at 4k miles already and it seems so happy being driven.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #37
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Turns out the top is made by a German company, Webasto. So stealth, this can't be blamed on the Italians. The same company makes the tops for the Merc SLs.

Anyhoo, I spec'd a new 488 Spider yesterday in Argento Nurburgring. Was told 6-8 months after a $25k deposit. Thinking seriously of flipping. I get it for $340k, i.e. MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 11:12 PM   #38
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Quote:
Turns out the top is made by a German company, Webasto. So stealth, this can't be blamed on the Italians. The same company makes the tops for the Merc SLs.

Anyhoo, I spec'd a new 488 Spider yesterday in Argento Nurburgring. Was told 6-8 months after a $25k deposit. Thinking seriously of flipping. I get it for $340k, i.e. MSRP.

Beautiful car choices, not a fan of the Quattroporte, but I am single guy, so no need for a 4-door sedan, big reason why I dumped my M5. How is the California? I picked up a 2012 Z4 just to see if having a hardtop convertible is practical or not, and so far I'm not moved. Granted, you're in Texas and can drive top down year around, while up here in Nebraska summer started about 2 weeks ago....

I see a couple of the pre-facelift California's right at $100k retail or about $85-$90k at auction. Not sure if I'm ready for my first pony...

That being said, I'd be careful buying a 488 right now to flip it 6-8 months. Fully-loaded 488s are available right now for $375
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #39
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karney5 View Post
Beautiful car choices, not a fan of the Quattroporte, but I am single guy, so no need for a 4-door sedan, big reason why I dumped my M5. How is the California? I picked up a 2012 Z4 just to see if having a hardtop convertible is practical or not, and so far I'm not moved. Granted, you're in Texas and can drive top down year around, while up here in Nebraska summer started about 2 weeks ago....

I see a couple of the pre-facelift California's right at $100k retail or about $85-$90k at auction. Not sure if I'm ready for my first pony...

That being said, I'd be careful buying a 488 right now to flip it 6-8 months. Fully-loaded 488s are available right now for $375
I think the Z4 is a good looking car too. Too bad your climate can't let you appreciate the top down experience as often. However, there is a point at which the top needs to be up in the summer down here. In the afternoon it's 100 and that's not so comfy with the top down. Early morning and in the evening make for the best top down driving now. My top is fixed with the replacement of the sensor and I am enjoying the car immensely.

I would be careful about getting the older Calis because they have a lot of issues that you can find in the California section of Fchat. The Cali T is so good, there is just no reason not to go with one if you can afford the extra money. I think the sub $100k Cali could entail a good bit of risk and if you don't have a dealer nearby, don't do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #40
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Quote:
I think the Z4 is a good looking car too. Too bad your climate can't let you appreciate the top down experience as often. However, there is a point at which the top needs to be up in the summer down here. In the afternoon it's 100 and that's not so comfy with the top down. Early morning and in the evening make for the best top down driving now. My top is fixed with the replacement of the sensor and I am enjoying the car immensely.

I would be careful about getting the older Calis because they have a lot of issues that you can find in the California section of Fchat. The Cali T is so good, there is just no reason not to go with one if you can afford the extra money. I think the sub $100k Cali could entail a good bit of risk and if you don't have a dealer nearby, don't do it.

Yeah, for the past few days it's been nearly 100 degrees and not to mention with the College World Series, the streets are packed so you're sitting in traffic about 3-4x as much as normal so the heat is quite unbearable. Last month was too cold, this month is too hot... Midwest weather for ya, haha.

I heard about the issues and you're right my nearest Ferrari dealership is about 6-7 hours away whether I send the car to Denver or St. Louis. The upper limit of my budget is no more than $150k, so I think Cali is out of the picture. I test drove the MP4, but it's just too risky to buy right now being McLaren's first car and it seems they don't even want to acknowledge it's existence. There are a couple of 570s at $180 retail, $160ish on Mannheim, so I'm going to wait it out and see. Any other cars you'd recommend in the $125-$150ish price point?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #41
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karney5 View Post
Yeah, for the past few days it's been nearly 100 degrees and not to mention with the College World Series, the streets are packed so you're sitting in traffic about 3-4x as much as normal so the heat is quite unbearable. Last month was too cold, this month is too hot... Midwest weather for ya, haha.

I heard about the issues and you're right my nearest Ferrari dealership is about 6-7 hours away whether I send the car to Denver or St. Louis. The upper limit of my budget is no more than $150k, so I think Cali is out of the picture. I test drove the MP4, but it's just too risky to buy right now being McLaren's first car and it seems they don't even want to acknowledge it's existence. There are a couple of 570s at $180 retail, $160ish on Mannheim, so I'm going to wait it out and see. Any other cars you'd recommend in the $125-$150ish price point?
I really enjoyed my 991tts and you can get a 15 or 16 in that range. I think you will have the same dealership issue in spades with the Mac.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #42
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mark my words. You are going to regret this within a year.
So now at a year later I can happily say, no regrets here. The only drawback to the QP is that it's the same length as the 750i. Neither of us likes that but my wife still won't consider getting the GranTurismo unless it's the convertible and I don't like that one.

Here is an update on the Cali T from the Ferrari Challenge two weekends ago. It drives great at the track and handles better than the 991tts. It's plenty fast and I never pushed it so I know it can do better than 156 on the back stretch.

The QP now has 10k miles on it and the Cali T has 3700. There was one minor recall issue on the QP for a fix to the fuel pump and the Cali T roof had a bad sensor that got fixed under warranty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50
      03-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #43
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Not in the real world.
Agree even driving 1400hp+ in the GTR on the street unless you really had enough room to stretch another car in the 400-600hp range... They were gonna keep up with you or near you through traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #44
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
Agree even driving 1400hp+ in the GTR on the street unless you really had enough room to stretch another car in the 400-600hp range... They were gonna keep up with you or near you through traffic.
LOL! Not exactly what I was thinking but good point!

When I get on it in second gear the back end will get squirrely, the car has plenty of torque in middle of the rev range. I haven't tried to race anyone but when I was at the track and came around turn 11 onto the back stretch behind a couple of different 488s, they didn't pull away until over 120mph. I was surprised by that.
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50