BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-27-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
Lmaiuri
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' Sapphire Black M5

Wrecked M5. Advice?

So a couple weeks ago I pulled the identical stunt that the guy leaving cars and coffee did in his M4. Except going faster. Over a much larger curb.

Needless to say, my entire suspension was toast. The total bill for the repairs came out to 22,300.66

I went to BMW yesterday and heard an interesting nugget that when the parts list was ordered the OEM wheels were left out of the line item for the insurance claim.

Per BMW + Allstate, the MSRP of the wheels would have placed the vehicle in the total loss category, monetarily speaking.

To get around this, BMW ordered the wheels at cost. This is all beneficial to them as they get a 23K check instead of a total loss.

Any advice? Am I being pessimistic in their mishap and attempt to rectify and fix my car or is something afoot?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:07 AM   #2
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Only question i have is there a video?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Lmaiuri
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
Please sit down and be quiet, adults are talking.

Last edited by Lmaiuri; 11-28-2018 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
M5avage
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 COMP M5

Sorry to hear that. my best bet is to follow up with Allstate or file a claim with BMW NA. I would try to get it totaled. If it drives fine and you are satisfied with the repairs then just enjoy it in good health. Sh*t happens just enjoy the car
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Lmaiuri
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5avage View Post
Sorry to hear that. my best bet is to follow up with Allstate or file a claim with BMW NA. I would try to get it totaled. If it drives fine and you are satisfied with the repairs then just enjoy it in good health. Sh*t happens just enjoy the car
As far as the repairs go, BMW recommends all replacement with new OEM parts. Was just curious about leaving the wheels out in the original line item quote and then hearing that when they were added back into the order, it was total loss from a monetary standpoint yet they chose to cut a deal for the wheels at wholesale. I get it back tomorrow, will report back when I do.

Last edited by Lmaiuri; 11-28-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
M5avage
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 COMP M5

Look at it this way. you got a brand Spanking new suspension . Which will drive like a new car. Sure keep us posted how the car feels. Honestly it probably was a mistake of leaving it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
chrisho68
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F10 M5

Sorry to hear. Is there any chance there is frame damage that they weren't able to assess till the suspension is taken apart? That would definitely add to the total cost and maybe push it to be a total loss. Hope it gets worked out
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
Lmaiuri
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisho68 View Post
Sorry to hear. Is there any chance there is frame damage that they weren't able to assess till the suspension is taken apart? That would definitely add to the total cost and maybe push it to be a total loss. Hope it gets worked out
There was additional damage including the rear sub-frame, rear-axle carrier, reinforcement plate, etc.

The wheels were what pushed the car into total loss territory.

Quote without wheels = 22.3K
Quote with wheels= 29K

Total value of car= 45K
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmaiuri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisho68 View Post
There was additional damage including the rear sub-frame, rear-axle carrier, reinforcement plate, etc.

The wheels were what pushed the car into total loss territory.

Quote without wheels = 22.3K
Quote with wheels= 29K

Total value of car= 45K
So they totaled it?
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

I would try to get this totaled at all costs. You don't want to be driving a car that's been through that much damage... even if repaired by BMW. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:00 AM   #11
Craze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
And what makes you so important to talk to people like that?

I dont understand what the op was asking and id like to see a video seeing as the op has some humor in his post
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #12
Lmaiuri
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I dont understand what the op was asking and id like to see a video seeing as the op has some humor in his post
You want to see a video of someone get into a car accident?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #13
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Quote:

No we want to see a video of you lose control and hop a curb
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #14
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
I don't entirely disagree with Craze if you got into that accident just because of a dare that went wrong for you and don't want to show it (if one was running) just for that reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #15
Chauncey.Bishop
Big girls don't cry.
India
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
So a couple weeks ago I pulled the identical stunt that the guy leaving cars and coffee did in his M4. Except going faster. Over a much larger curb.
Quote:
Quote:
The ironly here is hilarious. OP, you did something childish, yet you're going to tell somebody else not to poke fun at you for your mistake? This is a open forum, which like it or not, comes with the good and the bad.

As for your claim, salvage laws vary from state to state with regards to percentage of current car's value and if your intention is to keep the car, then they did you a favor by leaving the wheels out of the invoice to stay below the total loss threshold. Granted they did both parties a favor because it brought them some additional work but looking at things from your perspective, everything, including the wheels are going to be replaced with brand new OEM parts, so if they had to do a little trickery with the numbers to get it, what's the harm to you?
      11-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #16
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLuSioNz X View Post
The ironly here is hilarious. OP, you did something childish, yet you're going to tell somebody else not to poke fun at you for your mistake? This is a open forum, which like it or not, comes with the good and the bad.

As for your claim, salvage laws vary from state to state with regards to percentage of current car's value and if your intention is to keep the car, then they did you a favor by leaving the wheels out of the invoice to stay below the total loss threshold. Granted they did both parties a favor because it brought them some additional work but looking at things from your perspective, everything, including the wheels are going to be replaced with brand new OEM parts, so if they had to do a little trickery with the numbers to get it, what's the harm to you?
Absolutely,I don't even know what there is to discuss.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:22 AM   #17
Craze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The video you referred to the guy was driving like a knob
You said you did it even faster and bigger which makes you a bigger knob
So if being a knob is an accident yes id like to see your knob accident

Sounds like you were driving beyond your skill level

Bmw wouldnt care about the insurance company
If they deem it repaired id be happy with that
Bmw dealers dont skimp
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #18
Lmaiuri
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I don't entirely disagree with Craze if you got into that accident just because of a dare that went wrong for you and don't want to show it (if one was running) just for that reason.
It wasn't because of a dare. I had food poisoning all weekend and it was the first time I got in my car after puking my guts out to get some Pedialyte. I was just fucking around with some of the traction buttons trying to set them on the M button and forgot that I left the nanny off when I took off.

That's when the car did an oopsie and flew over the curb. I wasn't trying to stunt for 14 year old's at a car show, I wasn't acting like a child, I had a serious mishap in powerful vehicle that could have ended badly.

I wish forums were still civil, educational, and innovative. It's like watching a bunch of monkey's with not enough work to do during the day throw shit at each other over the web.

Anyway, car will be back in my hands today and I'll try my best to transcribe what I hear from the technical side of things. BMW was kind enough to install a soul performance exhaust during the repair which I'm super stoked about and will post some clips when I get my hands on her.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #19
Lmaiuri
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The video you referred to the guy was driving like a knob
You said you did it even faster and bigger which makes you a bigger knob
So if being a knob is an accident yes id like to see your knob accident

Sounds like you were driving beyond your skill level

Bmw wouldnt care about the insurance company
If they deem it repaired id be happy with that
Bmw dealers dont skimp
Dude shut the fuck up. Period. I clarified in the above post what happened, 9AM on Sunday morning getting electrolytes after puking all Friday and Saturday morning. Had no intention of turning nannies off and using launch control or any of that dumb shit, the car just got out from under me because I completely forgot to turn dsc back on when leaving a stoplight. Lesson learned is don't fuck with nannies but I was in a shit state just trying to get back home and recover.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #20
chippsachoi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Enough with the side banter....

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

I would recommend pursuing a total loss.....cars never drive the same after major repairs. Just my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #21
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Steady on guys, I would expect this kind of childish behaviour on the M3/M4 forum but this is a man's forum right?

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car, hope it comes back perfect. Would you be able to update us on the parts replaced?

To be fair to craze, when your OP said "identical stunt" one would assume that you pulled an "identical stunt", i.e. pulled out of a cars and coffee like a dildo and jumped a kerb. Therefore chances are there would have been a video. We can see now that this is not the case.

Accidents do happen unfortunately, especially when you've got all assists off in such a powerful car. I daren't even attempt traction fully off, I have M1 traction on and M2 MDM.

Let us know how the car is when you get it back.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #22
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

hahaha
Appreciate 0