M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2023, 04:28 PM   #727
hubbahubba
Captain
hubbahubba's Avatar
9008
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: M3CX
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
That’s my dream vacation hubba. Definitely on the bucket list for sure.
Do it man. We had a total ball. If you like your wine, 700+ wineries to choose from.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM411000.00
RichF90M5C1630.50
      01-20-2023, 05:12 PM   #728
dradernh
Brigadier General
dradernh's Avatar
4485
Rep
3,506
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SW Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Broke one of these out to go with lunch.

__________________
2017 M240i: 23.8K, 28.9 mpg, MT, Sunroof Delete, 3,432#, EB, Leather, Driving Assistance Package, Heated Front Seats | Sold: E12 530i, E24 M635CSi, E39 520i, E30 325is, E36 M3 (2)
TC Kline Coilovers; H&R Front Bar; Wavetrac; Al Subframe Bushings; 18X9/9½ ARC-8s; 255/35-18 PS4S (4); Dinan Elite V2 & CAI; MPerf Orange BBK; Schroth Quick Fit Pro;
GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra Ceramic; Suntek PPF
Appreciate 4
JJ 911SC22954.00
RickFLM411000.00
kscarrol8952.50
hubbahubba9008.00
      01-20-2023, 06:10 PM   #729
Roman
Private
Roman's Avatar
804
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: GMC / Ford
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Apologies if this wine has been mentioned in this thread already but it is a favorite of ours. It's a $40 bottle that thinks it's a $100 bottle. SPOILER: It's not wrong.

Scout's Honor from Venge Vineyards


Appreciate 4
RickFLM411000.00
hubbahubba9008.00
JJ 911SC22954.00
translux481.00
      01-21-2023, 03:53 PM   #730
hubbahubba
Captain
hubbahubba's Avatar
9008
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: M3CX
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

Yummy!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
JJ 911SC22954.00
      01-21-2023, 06:16 PM   #731
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
RichF90M5C's Avatar
1631
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
Do it man. We had a total ball. If you like your wine, 700+ wineries to choose from.
I’m trying to decide whether my wife would enjoy it, or whether taking a wine connoisseur friend would be more appropriate
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba9008.00
      01-21-2023, 06:23 PM   #732
hubbahubba
Captain
hubbahubba's Avatar
9008
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: M3CX
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
I’m trying to decide whether my wife would enjoy it, or whether taking a wine connoisseur friend would be more appropriate
It can be a romantic place. Not sure your situation, but no way I take anyone but my honey. Would be cool to have wine knowledgeable friends join, but not for the evening…. If you know what I mean…
Appreciate 1
RickFLM411000.00
      01-21-2023, 07:28 PM   #733
dradernh
Brigadier General
dradernh's Avatar
4485
Rep
3,506
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SW Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
I’m trying to decide whether my wife would enjoy it, or whether taking a wine connoisseur friend would be more appropriate
Have you viewed the film Sideways? That's one half of the equation, offering one possibility after leaving the better half at home. A bit more here: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375063/.

Going back to the late '60s, I've been to all of the valleys quite a few times; and, if things are happy on the home front, would recommend always taking the wife along. If you can, time it so that you're not there when it's totally mobbed with other people, assuming such a thing is still possible.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Frankly, and this is from an old guy's jaded perspective, the whole Napa Valley scene peaked during the mid-80s to the mid-90s. That's not to say it's a destination to avoid; it will never be that. The climate alone, combined with the scenery, no matter the time of year, argues for a visit. I still stop in for a treatment at Dr. Wilkinson's every time I'm passing through, and that won't change either.
__________________
2017 M240i: 23.8K, 28.9 mpg, MT, Sunroof Delete, 3,432#, EB, Leather, Driving Assistance Package, Heated Front Seats | Sold: E12 530i, E24 M635CSi, E39 520i, E30 325is, E36 M3 (2)
TC Kline Coilovers; H&R Front Bar; Wavetrac; Al Subframe Bushings; 18X9/9½ ARC-8s; 255/35-18 PS4S (4); Dinan Elite V2 & CAI; MPerf Orange BBK; Schroth Quick Fit Pro;
GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra Ceramic; Suntek PPF

Last edited by dradernh; 01-21-2023 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
hubbahubba9008.00
RichF90M5C1630.50
      01-21-2023, 08:36 PM   #734
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
evil-G-nius's Avatar
United_States
2216
Rep
248
Posts

Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: PSL Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
Sunday-Tuesday we visited Napa. Going to break this into a post for each day so they don’t get too long. Rolled in to the Napa Valley on Sunday afternoon. Checked in to our hotel, Rancho Caymus Inn in Rutherford and had no plans for the rest of the day, so hit 2 wineries very close by. We started at St Supery where we just enjoyed a couple of complimentary tastings, and got a reservation for Peju right next door for an hour later for a full tasting menu. Both of these were nice places, and the wines were ok. We felt obliged to purchase a couple bottles from each place. Nothing really special about either place, but decent. Finished the evening at Rutherford Grill, which was very tasty. Pictured are our room, Peju exterior and tasting menu, and St Supery interior.
Oh yeah Peju is a good spot as well. I completely forgot about them, its been a while since I have been there.
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba9008.00
      01-21-2023, 08:48 PM   #735
hubbahubba
Captain
hubbahubba's Avatar
9008
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: M3CX
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Have you viewed the film Sideways? That's one half of the equation, offering one possibility after leaving the better half at home. A bit more here: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375063/.

Going back to the late '60s, I've been to all of the valleys quite a few times; and, if things are happy on the home front, would recommend always taking the wife along. If you can, time it so that you're not there when it's totally mobbed with other people, assuming such a thing is still possible.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Frankly, and this is from an old guy's jaded perspective, the whole Napa Valley scene peaked during the mid-80s to the mid-90s. That's not to say it's a destination to avoid; it will never be that. The climate alone, combined with the scenery, no matter the time of year, argues for a visit. I still stop in for a treatment at Dr. Wilkinson's every time I'm passing through, and that won't change either.
Sideways is decent. Paso wines are good too!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 09:07 PM   #736
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
3588
Rep
9,788
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Awesome wine trip/vacay hubbahubba! Glad to see you had a blast!
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba9008.00
      01-22-2023, 06:27 PM   #737
sygazelle
Brigadier General
11526
Rep
3,413
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

I put this on the LOL pic thread, but then realized it belongs here too. My logic is simple. It's not always about where it's from, how good it is, what color it is, or how much it costs. Sometimes it's just the fact that it's wine that matters most.

Good luck out there!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 6
kscarrol8952.50
JJ 911SC22954.00
Esteban44633.50
RickFLM411000.00
ASAP10242.50
hubbahubba9008.00
      01-23-2023, 03:49 PM   #738
hubbahubba
Captain
hubbahubba's Avatar
9008
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: M3CX
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

So much for letting it age…
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
kscarrol8952.50
RickFLM411000.00
      01-23-2023, 04:12 PM   #739
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
3588
Rep
9,788
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
So much for letting it age…
I had a reserve cab from Peju last year (bought it 2-3 years ago for $200). It was damn good! Napa wine is just so pricey nowadays though. I find much better value in Sonoma.
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba9008.00
      01-23-2023, 04:21 PM   #740
hubbahubba
Captain
hubbahubba's Avatar
9008
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: M3CX
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I had a reserve cab from Peju last year (bought it 2-3 years ago for $200). It was damn good! Napa wine is just so pricey nowadays though. I find much better value in Sonoma.
I believe it! I think this one was around $50. Saving the good stuff (in theory) for a while…
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 04:30 PM   #741
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
3588
Rep
9,788
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
I believe it! I think this one was around $50. Saving the good stuff (in theory) for a while…
O’Brien in Napa is one of my favorites. They make great wines. Only thing is the price as their Merlots alone go for $100 a bottle. As much as I love wine, it’s crazy to consume hundreds or thousands in a given week. A bottle or two for a special occasion is fine.
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba9008.00
      01-23-2023, 04:33 PM   #742
hubbahubba
Captain
hubbahubba's Avatar
9008
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: M3CX
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
O’Brien in Napa is one of my favorites. They make great wines. Only thing is the price as their Merlots alone go for $100 a bottle. As much as I love wine, it’s crazy to consume hundreds or thousands in a given week. A bottle or two for a special occasion is fine.
Agreed. Going to save the wallet busters we brought home for just that… or a random Tuesday!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 04:40 PM   #743
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
11000
Rep
4,823
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

I was on the verge of buying a third wine 'fridge this weekend and decided I wouldn't. Lack of temp controlled storage space is the best way to keep wine buying sorta under control. (We have 2 small Eurocave's now.)
__________________
Current: 2018 SO/SS F83 ZCP
Gone: 2015 SO/SO F82
Appreciate 2
kscarrol8952.50
hubbahubba9008.00
      01-23-2023, 04:46 PM   #744
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
8953
Rep
4,107
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2021 X3 M40i
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 3
RickFLM411000.00
cmyx6go15823.00
hubbahubba9008.00
      01-23-2023, 04:54 PM   #745
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
11000
Rep
4,823
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
.
I can always count on finding a good influence on Bimmerpost!
__________________
Current: 2018 SO/SS F83 ZCP
Gone: 2015 SO/SO F82
Appreciate 3
kscarrol8952.50
cmyx6go15823.00
hubbahubba9008.00
      01-23-2023, 05:05 PM   #746
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
8953
Rep
4,107
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

I’m here to help!
__________________
2021 X3 M40i
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15823.00
RickFLM411000.00
hubbahubba9008.00
      01-23-2023, 05:25 PM   #747
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
3588
Rep
9,788
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I was on the verge of buying a third wine 'fridge this weekend and decided I wouldn't. Lack of temp controlled storage space is the best way to keep wine buying sorta under control. (We have 2 small Eurocave's now.)
Good call. I have a 32 bottles fridge and 2 wooden racks carrying 24 bottles each. Because of them, I’ve kept racking up bottles. There are bottles on the floor now and I’m playing catch up. Having space makes it easier to just keep buying. I’m making it a point to keep things under control now.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM411000.00
      01-23-2023, 05:38 PM   #748
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
11000
Rep
4,823
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Good call. I have a 32 bottles fridge and 2 wooden racks carrying 24 bottles each. Because of them, I’ve kept racking up bottles. There are bottles on the floor now and I’m playing catch up. Having space makes it easier to just keep buying. I’m making it a point to keep things under control now.
That’s what I’m telling myself. Plus the cost of another EuroCave is insane nowadays. 2 provides space for 60+ bottles plus I’ve got some out and can leave some more in Asheville with no wine fridge. I always want more but really don’t need more. We’ll see how it goes.
__________________
Current: 2018 SO/SS F83 ZCP
Gone: 2015 SO/SO F82
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST