Mravant
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 LCi

Broken Locking Nut

Evening all,
Need some help.

I was trying to remove the wheels and the locking nut slipped damaging the locking key and the bolt.

The bolts had definitely been overtightened by whoever last took the wheels off.

A friend of mine who manages a Kwik fit has said they do have a kit which might remove them but if they are soo tight might not work.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

There is a BMW master kit which has every key in there. If you have a good key you can usually get them off if they're slightly damaged, you just have to do it in the right way. Usually a 3ft 1/2" bar, short 17mm socket will do the job, make sure you hold the head of the bar as square as possible when turning. Failing that get someone to put some pressure on the bar whilst you wack the bar end that connects to the socket with a big hammer. The pressure and the shock of the hammer usually moves them.
Appreciate 2
OneExtra809.50
Mravant25.50
      06-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Mravant
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
There is a BMW master kit which has every key in there. If you have a good key you can usually get them off if they're slightly damaged, you just have to do it in the right way. Usually a 3ft 1/2" bar, short 17mm socket will do the job, make sure you hold the head of the bar as square as possible when turning. Failing that get someone to put some pressure on the bar whilst you wack the bar end that connects to the socket with a big hammer. The pressure and the shock of the hammer usually moves them.
As an update and your valuable advice, I popped down to BMW and as you said they got the master set out and matched up a replacement key.

Got home and hey presto the nuts undone .

Thank you again for the advice
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Good to hear.
Appreciate 1
Mravant25.50
      06-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Email mcguard and tell them what happened. They have great customer service...
Appreciate 1
Mravant25.50
      06-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #6
Mravant
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Email mcguard and tell them what happened. They have great customer service...
Who are McGuard?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mravant View Post
Who are McGuard?
The company who makes the style locking nut we have on the m5. No need though if its sorted already.
Appreciate 1
Mravant25.50
      06-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Evening all,
Need some help.

I was trying to remove the wheels and the locking nut slipped damaging the locking key and the bolt.

The bolts had definitely been overtightened by whoever last took the wheels off.

A friend of mine who manages a Kwik fit has said they do have a kit which might remove them but if they are soo tight might not work.

many thanks
Tightening wheel nut torque is 140N-m. or 103 Ft-lb.
Appreciate 1
Mravant25.50
      06-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #9
Mravant
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Quote:
Evening all,
Need some help.

many thanks
Tightening wheel nut torque is 140N-m. or 103 Ft-lb.
Yep but it seems that the numptys that done the tyres just gunned the living daylights out of them.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59587.50
      06-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #10
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Yep but it seems that the numptys that done the tyres just gunned the living daylights out of them.
They were doing up with torque for a lorry I'd check in the history who had them off last..maybe tyre fitters and give them some lip online.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They were doing up with torque for a lorry I'd check in the history who had them off last..maybe tyre fitters and give them some lip online.
You can't go doing that. What if the previous owner re-checked his own wheel nuts after a certain mileage as some garages recommend? Maybe he tightened them with a 4ft bar.

You can't leave garages bad reviews or tell people how bad they are if you don't know that they have done wrong.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      06-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
You can't go doing that. What if the previous owner re-checked his own wheel nuts after a certain mileage as some garages recommend? Maybe he tightened them with a 4ft bar.

You can't leave garages bad reviews or tell people how bad they are if you don't know that they have done wrong.
I appreciate you run a garage yourself but there is a reason for everything. The hub could have been ruined by whoever was refitting the wheel at that time and it's unlikely the previous owner would try to use such force to recheck the tightness.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:52 AM   #13
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate you run a garage yourself but there is a reason for everything. The hub could have been ruined by whoever was refitting the wheel at that time and it's unlikely the previous owner would try to use such force to recheck the tightness.
But without being sure you cannot pin the blame on somebody.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:57 AM   #14
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Quote:
Exactly. Not everything can be blamed on someone. Sometimes shit just happens.

I've had them break before and nobody was to blame. They are just press fit at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:38 AM   #15
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
You can bet your bottom dollar that if a garage does flunk on something they will do their best to cover it up with the 'nothing to do with me mate' routine.My point is it's unlikely it's the owner of the car doing harm to his own vehicle and it's far more likely to be a trigger happy trainee left to perform this task.You have to accept that the customer is mostly right and without holding a camera to the mech working on your car it is you that's responsible.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #16
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You can bet your bottom dollar that if a garage does flunk on something they will do their best to cover it up with the 'nothing to do with me mate' routine.My point is it's unlikely it's the owner of the car doing harm to his own vehicle and it's far more likely to be a trigger happy trainee left to perform this task.You have to accept that the customer is mostly right and without holding a camera to the mech working on your car it is you that's responsible.
Some garages do yes but most are very good. It's not about the owner doing harm to his own vehicle it's more to do with the fact that he was recommend to re-check his nuts after 50miles or so and has done that with little knowledge and over tightened them.

I'm not saying the garage is not to blame but what I am saying is without being 110% sure you cannot bad mouth them.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #17
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Some garages do yes but most are very good. It's not about the owner doing harm to his own vehicle it's more to do with the fact that he was recommend to re-check his nuts after 50miles or so and has done that with little knowledge and over tightened them.

I'm not saying the garage is not to blame but what I am saying is without being 110% sure you cannot bad mouth them.
Then why not return to the garage to re torque them rather than guessing if you haven't a torque wrench, that's what a good place like mine recommend and it's in about 200 miles.I've given up a few tyre fitting places which routinely performed slap dash service and I've witnessed one whacking side of a car with the metal end of air hose, you need to be there watching and asking them to do up by hand or as the OP says,they'll over hammer your nuts
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #18
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Then why not return to the garage to re torque them rather than guessing if you haven't a torque wrench, that's what a good place like mine recommend and it's in about 200 miles.I've given up a few tyre fitting places which routinely performed slap dash service and I've witnessed one whacking side of a car with the metal end of air hose, you need to be there watching and asking them to do up by hand or as the OP says,they'll over hammer your nuts
I'm not saying you're wrong in what you're saying but it all depends on the previous owner. You never know, some people think, I'm to busy to take the car back I'll check them myself.

And yes, some mechanics haven't a clue about bodywork and they pull airlines across bonnets etc. Sometimes people lean on cars or brush dust off and they can't understand that what they are doing is actually putting scratches on the car then look at me like I'm stupid when I tell them to get off.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #19
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I'm not saying you're wrong in what you're saying but it all depends on the previous owner. You never know, some people think, I'm to busy to take the car back I'll check them myself.

And yes, some mechanics haven't a clue about bodywork and they pull airlines across bonnets etc. Sometimes people lean on cars or brush dust off and they can't understand that what they are doing is actually putting scratches on the car then look at me like I'm stupid when I tell them to get off.
Brushing dust off..they must be thick as two planks doing that.
Have you considered having a tyre fitting machine in your garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #20
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Brushing dust off..they must be thick as two planks doing that.
Have you considered having a tyre fitting machine in your garage.
Never really felt the need for a tyre fitting machine. There is way to much competition in my area, everybody wants something for nothing.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 03:29 AM   #21
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Never really felt the need for a tyre fitting machine. There is way to much competition in my area, everybody wants something for nothing.
Tyres are a funny item.Some people just go and pay full whack down the road at their nearest tyre shop.Those shops wouldn't like me as I buy my tyres online and was lucky with my rear ps4s's. A few refused flatly to fit them,I could afford to buy at full retail but just like the thrill of the chase.
Appreciate 0