BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-29-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White E92 M3

Front Grille Emblem Mount

I just purchased some aftermarket carbon fiber double-slat grilles from AutoTechnic this week: https://autotecknic.com/products/aut...10-5-series-m5

I was going to transfer the m5 badge from my old grilles over and realized the mount for the badge was actually fixed to the grille. I assumed it was clipped in.

I want to retain the m5 badge on my new grilles but I can't find an OEM part number a black plastic insert to mount the badge to.

I've seen some aftermarket options like this but I'm concerned about the fit and finish: https://www.ebay.com/itm/31393314478...#38;media=COPY

Has anyone attempted to do something similar?

2012 Alpine White E92 M3 Coupe w/ Fox Red Extended Leather
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Can't offer much help. But I want to mention that I've never seen an aftermarket badge that doesn't yellow and look like crap from the sun. Not sure why that happens.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #3
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Can't offer much help. But I want to mention that I've never seen an aftermarket badge that doesn't yellow and look like crap from the sun. Not sure why that happens.
They don't look terrible from the pictures. I'm wondering if I could buy one of the eBay badges and remove the emblem, so I just have the black plastic mount. Then I can just get an OEM badge and attach it.

I assume it would be the same size but who knows with this Chinese stuff...

2012 Alpine White E92 M3 Coupe w/ Fox Red Extended Leather
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 09:25 AM   #4
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh yeah, they look just like the original badges at first. But it's after some time that it starts to look terrible.

That's actually a good idea though. I'd buy this and see if it does yellow over time. If it does, keep the mount, and just replace the badge with an OE from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 10:57 AM   #5
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
M5_Raz got some Carbon grilles for my M6 from someone on the FB group new in box unbranded, fit perfect looks very nice. 6 months later they are so yellow that they don't even match with my carbon lip lol, and the M6 badge which is an adhesive sticker kind of like the "M" stickers that you buy for the M wheels. That part looks like it's being dissolved by acid lol. Whelp... time to buy a new one. Also need new CF mirror caps, bought those used and they're already shot. I don't care enough to spend real CF money on those parts though.
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 11:57 AM   #6
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
M5_Raz got some Carbon grilles for my M6 from someone on the FB group new in box unbranded, fit perfect looks very nice. 6 months later they are so yellow that they don't even match with my carbon lip lol, and the M6 badge which is an adhesive sticker kind of like the "M" stickers that you buy for the M wheels. That part looks like it's being dissolved by acid lol. Whelp... time to buy a new one. Also need new CF mirror caps, bought those used and they're already shot. I don't care enough to spend real CF money on those parts though.
Lmaoo that's horrible. It's all too common though. I bought the stickers for the wheels from eBay and 3-6 months later they're green. My brother thought it's some special edition or something
Appreciate 1
JDMSteven463.00
      10-29-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
I think I will take a leap of faith and try AutoTecknic
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 10:30 AM   #8
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

I just went through this. grills and little inserts for less than 30$ on alibaba. they look great. Ill just keep buying new ones if they fade at this price point.
Attached Images

2021 M5 Motegi Red- Stock
Appreciate 0