M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

04-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #133
F13stg2cp6mt
Private
Rep
Drives: Stage 2 F13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
The Perf Exhaust would have made you smile further and because I know you like form over comfort, the Perf Seats would have been a plus too. Its quite an amazing car for almost 4600 lbs. Yes its not as taut as the 991.1 or 991.2 but its a sedan and it hides its weight probably better than any car Ive owned and that says alot.
Even better than your RS7?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #134
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F13stg2cp6mt View Post
Even better than your RS7?
Handlingwise? Its an absolute yes. From short sharper turns to higher speed big bends the car holds its line better and instills more confidence. Understeer is minimal while the Quattro could exude some moderate to heavy understeer under higher speeds (my 17 was improved over my 14 RS7 though). The E is clearly more planted too with much less body roll and yaw but there is a bit of a cost in the comfort area here. But I dont care much there since my roads are very smooth and overall very good.

Exhaust stock vs stock- the E63S is louder under load and its the more aggressive sounding car.

Interior- both have their pluses with the E winning out with its twin screens and the tech "intent" I say intent because while its cool to see some of the screens are a bit slow at times in movement (particularly my song advancement via the usb cable on an Ipod) but the E still wins out. The Bang and O system in the Audi is excellent though with amazing crisp highs and decent bass. But Im not a true audiophile so I am good with both systems.

Stock vs stock the Merc is faster to 60 and keeps on pulling with its 9 speed and more efficient power delivery with the tq convertless tranny MCT. The RS7 feels strong from a dig as the ZF tranny creates/has that lock up feel and the launch just goes but in reality its not as fast but very very close up to about 100 mph and the E will just move past it with the lead it already had.

Looks are subjective but Im a big fan of the polarizing RS7 Sportback. Its got a unique view for a sedan and its not diluted so much like the E class is with its C and S brothers. But my particular E is in that night black magno and it differentiates along with the decals and drop.

I would choose the E over the RS7 Performance by about a 9.5 to 8.7 decision where the handling really helps in the choice.

My pic on the last page went away oddly enough so I reposted it
Attached Images

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 04-30-2018 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2018, 05:50 AM   #135
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Handlingwise? Its an absolute yes. From short sharper turns to higher speed big bends the car holds its line better and instills more confidence. Understeer is minimal while the Quattro could exude some moderate to heavy understeer under higher speeds (my 17 was improved over my 14 RS7 though). The E is clearly more planted too with much less body roll and yaw but there is a bit of a cost in the comfort area here. But I dont care much there since my roads are very smooth and overall very good.

Exhaust stock vs stock- the E63S is louder under load and its the more aggressive sounding car.

Interior- both have their pluses with the E winning out with its twin screens and the tech "intent" I say intent because while its cool to see some of the screens are a bit slow at times in movement (particularly my song advancement via the usb cable on an Ipod) but the E still wins out. The Bang and O system in the Audi is excellent though with amazing crisp highs and decent bass. But Im not a true audiophile so I am good with both systems.

Stock vs stock the Merc is faster to 60 and keeps on pulling with its 9 speed and more efficient power delivery with the tq convertless tranny MCT. The RS7 feels strong from a dig as the ZF tranny creates/has that lock up feel and the launch just goes but in reality its not as fast but very very close up to about 100 mph and the E will just move past it with the lead it already had.

Looks are subjective but Im a big fan of the polarizing RS7 Sportback. Its got a unique view for a sedan and its not diluted so much like the E class is with its C and S brothers. But my particular E is in that night black magno and it differentiates along with the decals and drop.

I would choose the E over the RS7 Performance by about a 9.5 to 8.7 decision where the handling really helps in the choice.

My pic on the last page went away oddly enough so I reposted it
9.5 to 8.7 decision??? Holy cow! I love the RS7 non-perf (which I would assume you would rate in the low 8s). I need to get some seat time on the E63 ASAP.

I've been considering jumping ship on the RS7 and getting an X5M for a couple years until the new RS and M5 CP are out and then figuring out which of the 3 super sedans I really would like to have most.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #136
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
9.5 to 8.7 decision??? Holy cow! I love the RS7 non-perf (which I would assume you would rate in the low 8s). I need to get some seat time on the E63 ASAP.

I've been considering jumping ship on the RS7 and getting an X5M for a couple years until the new RS and M5 CP are out and then figuring out which of the 3 super sedans I really would like to have most.
Well with all due respect to both my departed RS7's; they just had alot of understeer and excessive yaw. So my numbers are really based just on my driveability expectations and they both are very close in weight. I will say this, as I said before, the Performance RS7 version drives better than my non Perf version. Could this be in the rack? Or some other tweaks like what M did with their ZCP cars; I dont know. The looks department might go to the RS7 (I know Im in the minority but Im a sportback fan).

On the street just going straight and no tunes for either- its a tighter call for me but Id still take the E. The sheer brute sound and the intuitive MCT revamped electronics have made this car killer. I have no doubt the M5 is equal to the task against the E and maybe better in some aspects (F90). But I like the looks of MY E63S better than the F90.
Appreciate 1
jc05e46m3847.50
      05-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #137
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well with all due respect to both my departed RS7's; they just had alot of understeer and excessive yaw. So my numbers are really based just on my driveability expectations and they both are very close in weight. I will say this, as I said before, the Performance RS7 version drives better than my non Perf version. Could this be in the rack? Or some other tweaks like what M did with their ZCP cars; I dont know. The looks department might go to the RS7 (I know Im in the minority but Im a sportback fan).

On the street just going straight and no tunes for either- its a tighter call for me but Id still take the E. The sheer brute sound and the intuitive MCT revamped electronics have made this car killer. I have no doubt the M5 is equal to the task against the E and maybe better in some aspects (F90). But I like the looks of MY E63S better than the F90.
Yeah, the air suspension definitely hinders the handling for sure. I'm eagerly awaiting the next gen RS7, but I don't live near any Audi dealers, so even the most minimal things are tedious.

Starting to push me back towards BMW and Merc.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #138
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the air suspension definitely hinders the handling for sure. I'm eagerly awaiting the next gen RS7, but I don't live near any Audi dealers, so even the most minimal things are tedious.

Starting to push me back towards BMW and Merc.
I actually failed to mention this but I had DRC on both my RS7's... the 2014 had it as an option and the Performance only comes with DRC. Even the spring set up and cross diagonal shocks the car still has some fluff to it.
Appreciate 1
jc05e46m3847.50
      05-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #139
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually failed to mention this but I had DRC on both my RS7's... the 2014 had it as an option and the Performance only comes with DRC. Even the spring set up and cross diagonal shocks the car still has some fluff to it.
That makes much more sense to me. The air suspension is incredibly comfortable, but it definitely lacks the same nimble attitude that my previous vehicles have. I'd be interested to experience a newer RS7 P for comparison's sake.

One of my friends just picked up an E63S when his GT-R was totaled after someone hit him, and he has nothing but great things to say about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #140
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That makes much more sense to me. The air suspension is incredibly comfortable, but it definitely lacks the same nimble attitude that my previous vehicles have. I'd be interested to experience a newer RS7 P for comparison's sake.

One of my friends just picked up an E63S when his GT-R was totaled after someone hit him, and he has nothing but great things to say about it.
I agree on the comfort of the air suspension. When I first test drove my 14 with DRC, I took an air car on the same exact test route (about 5 miles of good bends and turns) and the "feel" was more smooth and lacked the compression and rebound that the springs bring to the equation but the car had about 20% more lean in it at similar higher speeds. Im usually one who gives up comfort for function unless the feel is bone jarring intense. The E63S in Sport Plus can give one that feeling if the roads are not up to par. Im fortunate to have good roads where I live so the E63S is ideal.
Appreciate 1
jc05e46m3847.50
      05-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #141
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I agree on the comfort of the air suspension. When I first test drove my 14 with DRC, I took an air car on the same exact test route (about 5 miles of good bends and turns) and the "feel" was more smooth and lacked the compression and rebound that the springs bring to the equation but the car had about 20% more lean in it at similar higher speeds. Im usually one who gives up comfort for function unless the feel is bone jarring intense. The E63S in Sport Plus can give one that feeling if the roads are not up to par. Im fortunate to have good roads where I live so the E63S is ideal.
Thanks for the explanation. 20% is a lot. Man- seems like I'm missing out! I'm actually considering an X5M to hold me over until the new RS, and m5 CP are released to get back into a super sedan. Any experience with one? Tons of aftermarket for the s63tu now, so it's very tempting to just have a beastly SUV.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #142
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. 20% is a lot. Man- seems like I'm missing out! I'm actually considering an X5M to hold me over until the new RS, and m5 CP are released to get back into a super sedan. Any experience with one? Tons of aftermarket for the s63tu now, so it's very tempting to just have a beastly SUV.
I dont have any ownership experience with the X5M or X6m for that matter but have driven each enough to know they are great dig monsters and with a tune will run strong into the 100's without losing much from the weight. They will never be as fast as the M5 or E63S but they look great and actually drive like sedans more than one might think. I felt the X6M was the better driver but not by much.

Just slap a JB4 on it and voila!!! Or even a true OBDII tune. For me, I have looked at each at one point but know how "I" am and the novelty and need of that style of car will wear off forcing me to dump it prematurely. But if Im ever in the market for a SUV/CUV both cars are up for consideration along with the new GLC63S and GLE63S from Benz which are impressive as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #143
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I dont have any ownership experience with the X5M or X6m for that matter but have driven each enough to know they are great dig monsters and with a tune will run strong into the 100's without losing much from the weight. They will never be as fast as the M5 or E63S but they look great and actually drive like sedans more than one might think. I felt the X6M was the better driver but not by much.

Just slap a JB4 on it and voila!!! Or even a true OBDII tune. For me, I have looked at each at one point but know how "I" am and the novelty and need of that style of car will wear off forcing me to dump it prematurely. But if Im ever in the market for a SUV/CUV both cars are up for consideration along with the new GLC63S and GLE63S from Benz which are impressive as well.
Ive heard the same about the x6m, but am just not too fond of the styling (same with GLC).

JB4 and the burger parts is where I would begin, but not too sure how heavy I would get given how long I intend to keep it. I just love the usability of my wife's Grand Cherokee (not that the RS7 isn't good.

My local Merc dealer is about 1 month out from a GLE63 arrival, so I'm pretty excited about that too.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #144
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Congrats Vic55
Nice ride,
Curious 0-60mph and QMile?!
Tunes for ECU available?!
Nice thread too
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #145
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Congrats Vic55
Nice ride,
Curious 0-60mph and QMile?!
Tunes for ECU available?!
Nice thread too
the majority of the stock cars are running 3.0 to 3.1 in the 60 mph romp with one test at 2.9 and some other at 3.2- its all very close.

the quarter is averaging around 11.2 at 126 or so.

Yeah there are quite a few tunes out:

Renntech
Eurocharged
OE
AMR
and others
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #146
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the majority of the stock cars are running 3.0 to 3.1 in the 60 mph romp with one test at 2.9 and some other at 3.2- its all very close.

the quarter is averaging around 11.2 at 126 or so.

Yeah there are quite a few tunes out:

Renntech
Eurocharged
OE
AMR
and others
Wow!
Staggering numbers!
It remains to be seen where that trend will take us 3-5 years down the road!!
Are we going to see an M5 or AMG E63 with zero to 60 about 2.5 sec and QMile low 10’s and still call it street legal
Gosh!
Crazy!!

I will add that my Audi S8 with APR II scares me evertime I step on it and left me not wanting anymore power!! It pounces like a horse and it’s really bonkers, and I can’t belive that any car that’s still a sedan makes me feel that my M6 with Comp Packge which is supposedly a hard core crazy fast car, yet feels sluggish at best!!

Last edited by soooma; 05-07-2018 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #147
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Wow!
Staggering numbers!
Are we going to see an M5 or AMG E63 with zero to 60 about 2.5 sec and QMile low 10’s and still call it street legal
Gosh!
Crazy!!

I will add that my Audi S8 with APR II scares me evertime I step on it and left me not wanting anymore power!! It pounces like a horse and it’s really bonkers, and I can’t belive that any car that’s still a sedan makes me feel that my M6 with Comp Packge which is supposedly a hard core crazy fast car, yet feels sluggish at best!!
Tune only cars on 93 octane are running 10.5xx in the low 130's (AMR car) but there is still more in the car of course.

RS7's with stage 2 run lower 10's and 133-134's so the E has impressed with just a tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #148
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Tune only cars on 93 octane are running 10.5xx in the low 130's (AMR car) but there is still more in the car of course.

RS7's with stage 2 run lower 10's and 133-134's so the E has impressed with just a tune.
The AWD makes all the difference in the world for these cars. I am impressed given the weight of the car and it can do these type of quarter mile times. Lot's of horsepower there for sure.

My F10 M5 was so frustrating because it had so much power but couldn't put it down effectively. The new generation of AWD cars makes them a lot more fun I am sure and probably safer.

What are the 60-130 times like? I think the weakness with the AWD is that it probably slows the car down above 125 or so. That was the issue on the Porsche and the only way to get around it was to add more horsepower which did eventually prove to be too much for the AWD.

That being said, no one is really buying these cars to run quarter miles, they are luxury cruisers. Nice to have the capability though.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #149
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
The AWD makes all the difference in the world for these cars. I am impressed given the weight of the car and it can do these type of quarter mile times. Lot's of horsepower there for sure.

My F10 M5 was so frustrating because it had so much power but couldn't put it down effectively. The new generation of AWD cars makes them a lot more fun I am sure and probably safer.

What are the 60-130 times like? I think the weakness with the AWD is that it probably slows the car down above 125 or so. That was the issue on the Porsche and the only way to get around it was to add more horsepower which did eventually prove to be too much for the AWD.

That being said, no one is really buying these cars to run quarter miles, they are luxury cruisers. Nice to have the capability though.
Very true!
I personally don’t care about above 100mph let alone 125mph
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #150
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Wow!
Staggering numbers!
Gosh!
Crazy!!

A car that may well put down some serious acceleration numbers; (as if the above cars don’t already! lol), will be the top of the line AMG GT4 with the full electrical assistance. It could well break into the 2.0’s IF the size of the battery pack doesn’t make it too heavy, although that doesn’t seem to bother Tesla’s.

Bish
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #151
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
A car that may well put down some serious acceleration numbers; (as if the above cars don’t already! lol), will be the top of the line AMG GT4 with the full electrical assistance. It could well break into the 2.0’s IF the size of the battery pack doesn’t make it too heavy, although that doesn’t seem to bother Tesla’s.

Bish
Yeah true!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #152
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Very true!
I personally don’t care about above 100mph let alone 125mph
There is not one day where I dont go at least 100 mph multiple times. I dont care so much about 140 plus but where Im at- the roads are open and I have ample opportunity to run the cars hard.

I need a car that will pull from a dig and from a roll and the new transmissions in the both the E63S and the F90 allow for this with much less parasitic loss because of the way they transfer the power to the ground (also no fixed tq split).

Multiple dynos show both cars on the Mustang putting down 560hp each. Thats impressive. The F90 does weight about 300 lbs less which makes the E63S's numbers even more eye opening.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #153
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is not one day where I dont go at least 100 mph multiple times. I dont care so much about 140 plus but where Im at- the roads are open and I have ample opportunity to run the cars hard.

I need a car that will pull from a dig and from a roll and the new transmissions in the both the E63S and the F90 allow for this with much less parasitic loss because of the way they transfer the power to the ground (also no fixed tq split).

Multiple dynos show both cars on the Mustang putting down 560hp each. Thats impressive. The F90 does weight about 300 lbs less which makes the E63S's numbers even more eye opening.
Humbled!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #154
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

I randomly jump to the M5 forum to see what Vic55 is up to.

You still have your 2012 Black series. That car MUST be special.
Appreciate 0