BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Brake pad wear mileage

My car is counting down in miles to ‘next service’ which seems to be the replacement of a set of brake pads.

Is this mileage countdown (now 1300) based on a countdown of the original number when the pads were replaced and the mileage counter was reset....or is this number based on some sort of measurement of the wear.

I drive quite gently, is it possible I have a bonus few k in the pads? I’d like to try and delay it a bit and do it at the same time as tyres/mot.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

I think it takes the mileage into account but in reality the pads wont need changing unless they have worn down, the car may say change them but they will probably have loads of life. I would have a look and see how much pad material is left
Appreciate 1
msq12334.50
      05-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I think it takes the mileage into account but in reality the pads wont need changing unless they have worn down, the car may say change them but they will probably have loads of life. I would have a look and see how much pad material is left
Thanks for this, do the pads squeal/ sensors throw up a warning before it gets dangerous?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Thanks for this, do the pads squeal/ sensors throw up a warning before it gets dangerous?
When they are low the sensor will trigger a light on the dashboard
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Mine kept telling me that I had 1400 miles left on the rear pads. Theres 8mm left on them, and will probably do 14000 miles. I watched a video on youtube on how to reset the warning, was so simple to do!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 02:01 AM   #6
hawker1986
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Seems a common problem - mines exactly the same - says 1400miles but 8mm left on it
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:08 AM   #7
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Has Anyone used a "less dust" pad on our cars when replacing pads??? The amount of brake dust that is thrown onto the alloys is ridiculous.....
I was thinking along the lines of these "redstuff" pads when mine are due....????
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M5Rick59589.50
      08-04-2020, 02:14 AM   #8
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J11SEK View Post
Has Anyone used a "less dust" pad on our cars when replacing pads??? The amount of brake dust that is thrown onto the alloys is ridiculous.....
I was thinking along the lines of these "redstuff" pads when mine are due....????
From what I gather having these less dust pads leads to more wear on the discs than the normal ones and replacement time comes much closer.
I ceramic treat my wheels and the dust comes off with a water blast at wash time.
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      08-04-2020, 04:24 AM   #9
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker1986 View Post
Seems a common problem - mines exactly the same - says 1400miles but 8mm left on it
This is interesting, I checked mine again after the long run last week and I’m ‘stuck’ on 1400 too (not 1300). Mine were given a rudimentary check and apparently there is ‘loads left’.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:30 AM   #10
hawker1986
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Quote:
This is interesting, I checked mine again after the long run last week and I’m ‘stuck’ on 1400 too (not 1300). Mine were given a rudimentary check and apparently there is ‘loads left’.
I expect there is some sort of wear sensor but its too rudimentary to tell exactly how much is left and just knows when its low and needs changing and its just estimates and counts down to about 1400 and stays there till the sensor says it actually needs doing???
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:12 AM   #11
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My car is counting down in miles to ‘next service’ which seems to be the replacement of a set of brake pads.

Is this mileage countdown (now 1300) based on a countdown of the original number when the pads were replaced and the mileage counter was reset....or is this number based on some sort of measurement of the wear.

I drive quite gently, is it possible I have a bonus few k in the pads? I’d like to try and delay it a bit and do it at the same time as tyres/mot.
Well 6 months on and my readout still says 1400 miles to go or change aug 21. MOT passed fine, no advisory.

Does anyone know how the system works? Is it a physical measure or just a timer?

I’m not complaining, this is really quite nice (they ain’t cheap) but I like to be able to trust the countdown.

I had a Honda once which passed its service, weeks later the pads completely wore through and the brakes went metal to metal writing the whole system off. Honda corporate told me that the main dealer had ‘nothing to do with them’ and then actually gave me some rude advice about where I should go.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
JBala84
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5, Audi S4, Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J11SEK View Post
This is what I put on my car a few weeks ago... front & back.
They are defo much better in terms of dust and stopping.
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      11-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #13
JBala84
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5, Audi S4, Audi SQ5

Quote:
Quote:

Well 6 months on and my readout still says 1400 miles to go or change aug 21. MOT passed fine, no advisory.

Does anyone know how the system works? Is it a physical measure or just a timer?

I’m not complaining, this is really quite nice (they ain’t cheap) but I like to be able to trust the countdown.

I had a Honda once which passed its service, weeks later the pads completely wore through and the brakes went metal to metal writing the whole system off. Honda corporate told me that the main dealer had ‘nothing to do with them’ and then actually gave me some rude advice about where I should go.
They have a sensor (which you will have to change when u change the pads), but as per above it's not accurate at all.
Best to do a quick straw test and see how my mm u have left.
If there is plenty then just watch on YouTube how to reset it.

Appreciate 0