M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

09-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
sw_tiger
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Replacing DSC PULSE GENERATOR FRONT

Hi Everyone,

Recently some errors popped up on my BMW M5 F10 2012 regarding rear differential, brakes, parking brake and ABS. I took the to local mechanic who scanned the car for errors with ISTA +. He found that there was an error with
The front DSC sensor and that the battery kept saving low voltage.

So I decided to order me a new DSC pulse and thought I would replace it myself.

I'm new to this "coding and programming" with cars but otherwise have experience in programming and working with computers.

So basically my question my first question is:

Do I need to program the DSC sensor when installing the new one, or is it straight forward to just replace the sensor.

Second question(If programming is needed):

How do I program the new DSC sensor to the car? I've heard of programs such as E-sys and Ista +. However, I have never used them before. What I have done so for is installing ista + and I am waiting for an Ethernet cable I ordered to be able to just scan the car myself for error, otherwise I am totally new to this.

Best regards!

*Update

So it turns out you do not need to program anything when replacing the DSC, you simply install the new one. However, this did not solve my problem.

The next step I took was replacing the left sensor with the right to see if the problem would move from front/left to front/right.
This was not the case, I read about a lof of people resolving similar issue by also replacing the wheel bearing. What I did to conclude wheel bearing problem was changing the front/left with the front/right to see if the problem (again) would change its destination.

However, again, this was not the issue. After scanning with ISTA/Rheingold the problem continued to pop up on the front/left, I figure now that the next step needs to be the DSC Module (which is expensive).

Update**
Now I decide to leave the car to BMW to take a look at the problem. They came to the conclusion that it indeed was the DSC control unit that had to be replaced, luckily my insurance company stood for half the price tag and now the car is fixed.

Last edited by sw_tiger; 02-19-2018 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Solved problem
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
sw_tiger
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
I replaced the front/left DSC sensor, cleared up the errors but the malfunction stil remains.

I searched the car with ista + and got these fault codes, any ideas of what could be wrong with my car?

482BAC Regulated differential lock, DSC function: not available Information
CCEC19 Signal (actual engine speed, wheel, 46.0.1) invalid, transmitter DSC Information
CCEC14 ICM interface (tolerance compensation, wheel, 271.4.8): Signal invalid Information
1B0A62 Driving speed, plausibility: Road speed signal implausible
1B0A65 Driving speed, wheel speed sensor front/left, signal change: Not plausible
1B0A60 Driving speed, plausibility: Minimum speed under load implausible
1B0A61 Driving speed, plausibility: Minimum speed when in coasting/overrun mode
implausible

1B0A21 Rough road detection: No wheel speed signal received
1B0A62 Driving speed, plausibility: Road speed signal implausible
1B0A65 Driving speed, wheel speed sensor front/left, signal change: Not plausible
1B0A60 Driving speed, plausibility: Minimum speed under load implausible
1B0A61 Driving speed, plausibility: Minimum speed when in coasting/overrun mode
implausible

CF2C08 DSC interface (wheel speed FL, 0x254): Signal invalid Information
CF3708 DSC interface (qualifier function ABS, 0x173): Signal invalid Information
CF4008 DSC interface (qualifier function FDR, 0x173): Signal invalid Information
D017A3 Signal (actual number, signal edge, wheel, 64.1.2) invalid, transmitter DSC Information
D017C5 Interface DSC (actual speed, wheel, 46.0.1): Signal invalid Information
D02C67 DSC interface (status, DSC stabilisation, 47.1.2): Signal invalid Information
D3542F Signal (actual QMVH, 31.0.2) invalid, transmitter GHAS Information
480712 Wheel speed sensor: Voltage supply, short circuit, front left
D3AC8D DSC interface (status, hydraulic function, 25D): Signal invalid Information
D86C07 Interface INSTR. CL. (kilometre reading, 0x330): signal invalid -1
E6AD05 DSC interface (actual wheel speed, ID: 46.0.1): Signal invalid Information
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
Dovla2018
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 xDrive35i

Did you ever get this fixed ? I am fighting the same annoying problem on 2011 X3. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
sw_tiger
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Yes if you read my update it was the DSC ECU about 1.000 euros.

Did you try replacing the sensor? That is the cheapest part which may be damaged.
If you need one, I have a spare new one I bought and tried with, but could not return.

PS I heard rumors that it can be a fuse that needs to be replaced. If you have time and knowledge check your fuse box and search for any fuse that can relate to the current problem.

Good luck mate.

*Update

So it turns out you do not need to program anything when replacing the DSC, you simply install the new one. However, this did not solve my problem.

The next step I took was replacing the left sensor with the right to see if the problem would move from front/left to front/right.
This was not the case, I read about a lof of people resolving similar issue by also replacing the wheel bearing. What I did to conclude wheel bearing problem was changing the front/left with the front/right to see if the problem (again) would change its destination.

However, again, this was not the issue. After scanning with ISTA/Rheingold the problem continued to pop up on the front/left, I figure now that the next step needs to be the DSC Module (which is expensive).

Now I decide to leave the car to BMW to take a look at the problem. They came to the conclusion that it indeed was the DSC control unit that had to be replaced, luckily my insurance company stood for half the price tag and now the car is fixed
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
Dovla2018
Registered
Rep

Well that sucks, I did replace the left sensor already (no improvement) and I'm about to change wheel bearing as well. I've tried different DSC module but had the same error. It wasn't programmed to my car but it had exactly the same faults so I assumed that wheel bearing could be faulty and not the actual DSC module. Did you experience this ONLY when driving over 35-40MPH ? Did you get parking brake warnings too ? Mine has - Chassis stabilization malfunction and Parking brake limited messages.
Thanks for response
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:34 AM   #6
sw_tiger
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
I would suggest trying to replace your left and right wheel bearing to see if your problem mo es (check with ista). If it goes from left to right, then you know you have a malfunctioning bearing. If not and the problem remaina on the same wheel, then you have a malfunctioning DSC module.

However, I recommend you to check your fuse box for short circuit.

Also, The problem was inconsistent, I could not determine when the error appeared. Mostly, it would begin after using the brakes (mph does not matter).

The messages I received was:

Driving stability error
Brake system error
Parking brake error
Rear differential error.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Dovla2018
Registered
Rep

That's what I'm planning to do - change left bearing and hope it goes away
I have a feeling it's not going to go that smooth though...
Thanks for help
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
marcoram
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535 Xi GT

Same issue with lots of codes !

Hi guy's did you get any results lately i ve go the same issue
The only showing on my eobd scan is : error on U118A
But in addition no more speedometer and 4x4 is disabled
and ABS error
Driving stability error
Brake system error
Parking brake error
Rear differential error.
NO more ! AIRBAGS !

WOW it seems like a communication error....
There was no water nothing new everything was running smooth exept for a rear air Shock replaced last week with Arnott's (good quality i assumed)

Here is a Photo of my Dashboard
If you could comment i ,ll appreciate
Attached Images

Appreciate 0