M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-26-2023, 11:43 PM   #1
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 xDrive

PLEASE HELP DIAGNOSE. Knock?

Four days into ownership of a new-to-me 2013 M6, this happens.. Driving spiritedly, around 5K RPMs in 2nd gear, the car nosedives and I get a drivetrain malfunction error.

Car is one previous owner, 55k miles.

This is what the car sounds like at idle: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/X7-_b4jiM6w

and here's a log I was able to grab while I limped a couple miles home from where this happened: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=63d3...0b4397bb168c3f

Anyone know what the culprit may be??
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 11:57 PM   #2
SmokinJoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP, 2019 X5 40i

When you turn it off then back on does the drivetrain malfunction stay and does it continue to run poorly?
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2023, 12:09 AM   #3
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
When you turn it off then back on does the drivetrain malfunction stay and does it continue to run poorly?
Admittedly, I didn't dare turn it back on after I made it to my driveway and shut the car down.

I wasn't able to get a DTC read with bootmod3 - it showed no faults, even though my CEL is staring at me and the entire car is shaking left to right.

I hit 'clear codes' and the idle dropped from 1,000rpms down to 700 and it felt normal for a split second, then the 'drivetrain malfunction' reappeared and the car began to idle like that and shake again.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 09:09 AM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
From the back it sounds like misfiring. What BM3 off the shelf tune are you running and do you have any history on the plug changes?

When I get the DTM during a spirited run I get codes for misfire in a cylinder on each side. IIRC i get lean codes on each of those cylinders. I thought I saved mine logs but cannot find them.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2023, 11:56 AM   #5
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
From the back it sounds like misfiring. What BM3 off the shelf tune are you running and do you have any history on the plug changes?

When I get the DTM during a spirited run I get codes for misfire in a cylinder on each side. IIRC i get lean codes on each of those cylinders. I thought I saved mine logs but cannot find them.
I'm running BM3 Stage 1 AZ/CA/Nevada on an otherwise completely stock car. No history on the plugs or ignition coils, but yes a misfire sounds pretty plausible.. I have a friend who's B58 misfire sounded almost exactly the same from the outside of the car.

Can you tell me what "DTM" is? I've seen that around on the forums but have no context on what the acronym stands for.

My M6 is on its way to a local performance shop right now to see if they can diagnose/fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 01:02 PM   #6
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Quote:

Oh.. DRIVE TRAIN MALFUNCTION lol, doh
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 03:23 PM   #7
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseH234 View Post
I'm running BM3 Stage 1 AZ/CA/Nevada on an otherwise completely stock car. No history on the plugs or ignition coils, but yes a misfire sounds pretty plausible.. I have a friend who's B58 misfire sounded almost exactly the same from the outside of the car.

Can you tell me what "DTM" is? I've seen that around on the forums but have no context on what the acronym stands for.

My M6 is on its way to a local performance shop right now to see if they can diagnose/fix the issue.
Keep us posted on the diag. If it is just a misfire then coils and plugs are an easy DIY project. If it comes down to failed injectors BMW extended the warranty out for them to 10 years and 100k miles if I remember correctly but with the tune on the car they may not warranty them so see if you can roll the tune back to stock if you have to take it to BMW for the injector work.

Yeah the acronyms are through the roof with these cars.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2023, 05:59 PM   #8
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

How many miles did you drive normally after flashing the tune?

The DMEs need time to adjust to the new parameters before being able to allow hard driving.

Also, have the plugs ever been changed? I’m doubting it.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2023, 08:30 PM   #9
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Quote:
Keep us posted on the diag. If it is just a misfire then coils and plugs are an easy DIY project. If it comes down to failed injectors BMW extended the warranty out for them to 10 years and 100k miles if I remember correctly but with the tune on the car they may not warranty them so see if you can roll the tune back to stock if you have to take it to BMW for the injector work.

Yeah the acronyms are through the roof with these cars.
The manufacture year of the car is just past 10 years I believe. I run the Bosch EU5 injectors in my pure turbo M3 build, I'm very familiar with those and they're relatively inexpensive. I wouldn't be against buying a new set, if needed. Still hoping it's just the spark plugs causing a misfire and not something more serious.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 08:32 PM   #10
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
How many miles did you drive normally after flashing the tune?

The DMEs need time to adjust to the new parameters before being able to allow hard driving.

Also, have the plugs ever been changed? I’m doubting it.
After flashing a tune, I always reset adaptations and give it a good 150-200 miles. I highly doubt those plugs have EVER been changed though, yeah.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 09:36 PM   #11
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
After flashing a tune, I always reset adaptations and give it a good 150-200 miles. I highly doubt those plugs have EVER been changed though, yeah.
I’m 90% that you plugs are the problem. I had 20k on mine and I was feeling small misfires.
Appreciate 2
M6Roar85.50
      01-27-2023, 11:17 PM   #12
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Quote:
I’m 90% that you plugs are the problem. I had 20k on mine and I was feeling small misfires.
I sure hope that's the issue! I don't believe the shop had any time to take a look at my car today. Hopefully I'll have some answers come Monday.. I'm feeling pretty confident about a fouled plugs and misfires, but you never know with these things.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59526.00
      01-29-2023, 03:23 AM   #13
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I got 40k out of my plugs, no misfires just went into limp mode when pushed then cleared and new plugs sorted it.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2023, 11:50 PM   #14
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Alright so the shop was able to diag my car today..

DTCs came back as:

140010 Combustion Misfires, Several Cylinders: Detected
140610 Combustion Misfire, Cylinder 6: Detected
140001 Combustion Misfires, Several Cylinders: Fuel Injection is Switched Off
140002 Combustion Misfires, Several Cylinders: Damaging Exhaust Gas After Starting Up

(typing them out in case this thread is ever used by someone in the future)
Here's what happens to the engine upon startup: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6KEcS_LzR3M it chugs a bit, then sputters and dies out.

Apparently my oil is looking a little shiny under a flashlight. Uncertain if that's copper or aluminum flakes from a poor metal against metal connection. I'm praying there isn't a bearing issue, or a damaged piston. We're running a compression test tomorrow and I'll report back with the results.

I know the early S63tu suffers from injectors getting stuck open, and this one is a 2013.. could be the culprit, could be something significantly worse. Unbelievable I only got 4 days and 300mi of enjoyment out of this car lol. I can feel in my gut I'm in for a $10k+ bill. Yikes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 07:12 AM   #15
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Alright so the shop was able to diag my car today..

DTCs came back as:

140010 Combustion Misfires, Several Cylinders: Detected
140610 Combustion Misfire, Cylinder 6: Detected
140001 Combustion Misfires, Several Cylinders: Fuel Injection is Switched Off
140002 Combustion Misfires, Several Cylinders: Damaging Exhaust Gas After Starting Up

(typing them out in case this thread is ever used by someone in the future)
Here's what happens to the engine upon startup: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6KEcS_LzR3M it chugs a bit, then sputters and dies out.

Apparently my oil is looking a little shiny under a flashlight. Uncertain if that's copper or aluminum flakes from a poor metal against metal connection. I'm praying there isn't a bearing issue, or a damaged piston. We're running a compression test tomorrow and I'll report back with the results.

I know the early S63tu suffers from injectors getting stuck open, and this one is a 2013.. could be the culprit, could be something significantly worse. Unbelievable I only got 4 days and 300mi of enjoyment out of this car lol. I can feel in my gut I'm in for a $10k+ bill. Yikes
Did your car come with any kind of warranty? I mean you had the car less than a week before the failure. Did the car come tuned or did you decide to tune the car after you purchased it?
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 03:54 PM   #16
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Did your car come with any kind of warranty? I mean you had the car less than a week before the failure. Did the car come tuned or did you decide to tune the car after you purchased it?
Nope, no warranty. The car didn't come tuned - it also still had it's original downpipes (and therefore passed CA smog check before I was able to purchase it, and subsequently passed AZ emissions when I registered it locally) but the previous owner had removed the mufflers and the resonators.. Who really knows what else he may have done to the car!

I've used the BM3 app platform a ton on my M3 and felt pretty comfortable immediately flashing a stage 1 OTS map on a stock car just to have some fun, but it appears that may have been the tipping point for the worn out OEM spark plugs.

The GOOD NEWS is that it appears replacing the coil packs and the spark plugs has completely fixed the problem - the car is up and running just great. Our compression test also read to 185psi in each cylinder without variance, so that's good peace of mind as well on the health of the engine.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 04:12 PM   #17
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Nice to hear it’s back and running strong, I knew it was the plugs. Coils probably didn’t help either at that age.

Did you gap the plugs for one step colder or stock specs?
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 04:16 PM   #18
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Nope, no warranty. The car didn't come tuned - it also still had it's original downpipes (and therefore passed CA smog check before I was able to purchase it, and subsequently passed AZ emissions when I registered it locally) but the previous owner had removed the mufflers and the resonators.. Who really knows what else he may have done to the car!

I've used the BM3 app platform a ton on my M3 and felt pretty comfortable immediately flashing a stage 1 OTS map on a stock car just to have some fun, but it appears that may have been the tipping point for the worn out OEM spark plugs.

The GOOD NEWS is that it appears replacing the coil packs and the spark plugs has completely fixed the problem - the car is up and running just great. Our compression test also read to 185psi in each cylinder without variance, so that's good peace of mind as well on the health of the engine.
Glad it appears to have worked out.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 04:50 PM   #19
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Quote:
Nice to hear it’s back and running strong, I knew it was the plugs. Coils probably didn’t help either at that age.

Did you gap the plugs for one step colder or stock specs?
They're NGK 2 step colder, gapped to 0.022. With hopes there was no meaningful damage to my engine, I had the car towed to the shop with newly arrived catless downpipes in the trunk ready to install.

I initially bought the car with the idea to run stage 2. My F80 build is beyond 700 at the rear wheels, and I'd like this car to get to at least 600 with relatively minimal modifications. I'm either pushing it, or not driving at all
Appreciate 0