M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

08-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
WarrenBluffett73
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

New Owner - Maintenance Tips Anyone?

Hello all,

Just purchased a 2013 6MT M5. I like it a lot so far. I understand these cars seem to grenade a lot or have oil consumption issues. The car I purchased has 52k miles, and has reg oil changes reported on the carfax. Likewise, it is bone stock, thankfully. I will be definitely leaving it stock engine/tuning wise so as not to risk anything.

Any recommendations for oil or intervals of changing? How often to do spark plugs (saw these were recently done), coils, injectors? Any recommendations as far as oil catch cans, or just other items to look for? Thanks!

- W
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Congrats!

5-6K miles on the oil changes. you can find plenty of threads on what oils people use. I run Edge 0W-40, lots running liqui moly leichtlauf 5w40. I and others have found that going to a 40 weight reduces oil consumption significantly. Results may vary, or you may not have oil consumption even with a 30 weight.

Plugs 30-50K miles depending on how you drive it. Coils I'd probably do for piece of mind if they've never been replaced. I don't think people usually change injectors unless there's an issue (which, btw, there's an extended warranty for from BMW).

And they don't grenade a lot, certainly not stock. Not saying it doesn't happen, but forums accentuate the anecdotal disasters without putting it into full context. Just keep up on the maintenance, let it get up to temp before you hammer on it, and don't go WOT at low RPMs.
      08-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
WarrenBluffett73
Private
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Congrats!

5-6K miles on the oil changes. you can find plenty of threads on what oils people use. I run Edge 0W-40, lots running liqui moly leichtlauf 5w40. I and others have found that going to a 40 weight reduces oil consumption significantly. Results may vary, or you may not have oil consumption even with a 30 weight.

Plugs 30-50K miles depending on how you drive it. Coils I'd probably do for piece of mind if they've never been replaced. I don't think people usually change injectors unless there's an issue (which, btw, there's an extended warranty for from BMW).

And they don't grenade a lot, certainly not stock. Not saying it doesn't happen, but forums accentuate the anecdotal disasters without putting it into full context. Just keep up on the maintenance, let it get up to temp before you hammer on it, and don't go WOT at low RPMs.

Thanks Vafan! I was thinking the same thing with going with 40w. I live in the northeast and we have fairly cold winters so I may try 0w-40 as well. I know BMW calls for "LL" classified oils, so I'll try to find that. I had a 335i and Cayman before this so I'm very used to letting the cars warm up and definitely avoiding any bogs. I'll change the oil this upcoming weekend most likely just for peace of mind. How do you like the sway bars in yours (I noticed your signature). This car is no doubt a boat compared to a cayman lol. Would be nice to have a little better handling, but I understand by nature it is just a big sedan.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:41 PM   #4
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBluffett73 View Post
Thanks Vafan! I was thinking the same thing with going with 40w. I live in the northeast and we have fairly cold winters so I may try 0w-40 as well. I know BMW calls for "LL" classified oils, so I'll try to find that. I had a 335i and Cayman before this so I'm very used to letting the cars warm up and definitely avoiding any bogs. I'll change the oil this upcoming weekend most likely just for peace of mind. How do you like the sway bars in yours (I noticed your signature). This car is no doubt a boat compared to a cayman lol. Would be nice to have a little better handling, but I understand by nature it is just a big sedan.
No problem. I don't drive mine in the winter, for Edge the 0w-40 just happens to be a better oil than the 5w-40. Mobil 1 is (or at least was) the same way. Neither is technically LL01 anymore, due to formula changes, but both retain Porsche and Benz certs, which are at least as stringent. (LL01 is an old cert)

The Dinan sways made a huge difference. Absolutely worth it, despite being a grand for two metal bars, especially on a non-CP car. If you're handy with a wrench and have the tools, they're also pretty easy install yourself.

Last edited by vafan13; 08-10-2020 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #5
WarrenBluffett73
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
No problem. I don't drive mine in the winter, for Edge the 0w-40 just happens to be a better oil than the 5w-40. Mobil 1 is (or at least was) the same way. Neither is technically LL01 anymore, due to formula changes, but both retain Porsche and Benz certs, which are at least as stringent. (LL01 is an old cert)

The Dinan sways made a huge difference. Absolutely worth it, despite being a grand for two metal bars, especially on a non-CP car. If you're handy with a wrench and have the tools, they're also pretty easy install yourself.
Awesome I will definitely look into some sway bars too then! I appreciate your help and input very much
Appreciate 0