M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #111
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

I've had a Breville BES870XL for less than 3 years now. It has a 2 year warranty. A couple weeks ago it started leaking from the rear. I took it apart to find one of the plastic elbows was leaking because hot/pressurized water had eventually formed a channel around the O-Ring. I run the backflush and cleaning cycles regularly with the tablets, vinegar..

I dont really hesitate to think this was designed to happen within a certain range of uses (I would have been right around 1k uses). Why else would you use a plastic elbow in a high heat/ high pressure environment? This plastic elbow piece is also right by the wire loom that leads to the controller. Perfect for water to run down and short that out as well.

Contacted Breville - They wanted $239 + shipping the whole unit both ways for the repair or give me 30% off a new unit. It was a $8 part that failed and said I would not be able to get one through them. I found a couple repair vendors but curiously they have quite a few of almost every other spare part but are sold out of these elbows. Infer what you would like from that but will be the last Breville I buy.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #112
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Well "Vladimir" from "London" we need an update on your planned purchase. We're over here waiting with bated breath to hear what you are going to spend your rubles on.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #113
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
I've had a Breville BES870XL for less than 3 years now. It has a 2 year warranty. A couple weeks ago it started leaking from the rear. I took it apart to find one of the plastic elbows was leaking because hot/pressurized water had eventually formed a channel around the O-Ring. I run the backflush and cleaning cycles regularly with the tablets, vinegar..

I dont really hesitate to think this was designed to happen within a certain range of uses (I would have been right around 1k uses). Why else would you use a plastic elbow in a high heat/ high pressure environment? This plastic elbow piece is also right by the wire loom that leads to the controller. Perfect for water to run down and short that out as well.

Contacted Breville - They wanted $239 + shipping the whole unit both ways for the repair or give me 30% off a new unit. It was a $8 part that failed and said I would not be able to get one through them. I found a couple repair vendors but curiously they have quite a few of almost every other spare part but are sold out of these elbows. Infer what you would like from that but will be the last Breville I buy.

Again, why would anyone buy an Australian espresso maker?

To be fair, small parts for Gaggia and Rancilio can be frustrating too, but less than Breville. I'll never buy their stuff after numerous bad experiences.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:00 AM   #114
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EC15...s%2C375&sr=8-6

Guys I have had this for the last 5 years and it was great until last year when the steamer stopped working. What would you guys recommend I go for after this? I would like something similar without spending too much. Thank you.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #115
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Yes. That's what I use. Next step up is seriously expensive, not saying not worth it but you really need to be able to appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #116
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

Quote:

Originally I also got one of the Breville models. However after few months of usage I had some issues and returned it back for a full refund.
After some research I got a Vibiemme Junior HX (it costs more than breville however its built for home usage with parts from commercial espresso machines. So it's built like a tank and pretty reliable. also all the parts can be found online and easily replaced (simple DYI). That's one of the reasons I chose it - ease of repairs/maintenance.
Had it for 5 years and it still makes amazing coffee.

As others mentioned espresso machine is not the most important part of good coffee making.

1) I would put quality coffee beans as the most important part of equation.(make sure that beans are not staled. Coffee beans are best to be consumed 12-24hrs after roasting but within 1-2 weeks otherwise they will start loosing freshness).

2) Then followed by good quality grinder.

3) And actual espresso machine will be only third on my list
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #117
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPod View Post
Originally I also got one of the Breville models. However after few months of usage I had some issues and returned it back for a full refund.
After some research I got a Vibiemme Junior HX (it costs more than breville however its built for home usage with parts from commercial espresso machines. So it's built like a tank and pretty reliable. also all the parts can be found online and easily replaced (simple DYI). That's one of the reasons I chose it - ease of repairs/maintenance.

As others mentioned espresso machine is not the most important part of good coffee making.

1) I would put quality coffee beans as the most important part of equation.(make sure that beans are not staled. Coffee beans are best to be consumed 12-24hrs after roasting but within 1-2 weeks otherwise they will start loosing freshness).

Thanks for the recommendation OP. I'm also considering Rocket Appartamento because of the R-58 recommendations earlier in the thread as well as a Expobar Brewtus IV-R. Will definitely look more into the Vibiemme, thx.

What grinder do you use?

Last edited by Deftronix; 04-16-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
OrcaPod73.50
      04-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #118
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPod View Post

I'd agree with this order. I've roasting my own coffee for 15 years, and just sold my original Andreja Premium espresso machine which I had for 14 of those years. I upgraded to a la spazial V1, with a rotary pump so it's much quieter and I'm happy with it.

For grinders, I've followed a path of upgrade - it's, originally with a rancillio Rocky, then a baratza vario, mazzer major, and and now I a Macap M7D. I can't stress enough the importance of the grinder for your espresso.
Appreciate 1
OrcaPod73.50
      04-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #119
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation OP. I'm also considering Rocket Appartamento because of the R-58 recommendations earlier in the thread as well as a Expobar Brewtus IV-R. Will definitely look more into the Vibiemme, thx.

What grinder do you use?
These espresso machines should be a good choice as they have also E61 group head ("old-school" design which relies on solid "metal" components rather than on fancy "electronics" parts in plastic machines like breville.

the only downsides for that "heavy metal constuction" is the time required for machine to get to operating temperature once you switch it on.
Mine (vibiemme junior hx) takes around 10-15 min to warm up.
Another one is that "metal e61 group" head can be pretty hot to touch so you gotta be careful around it.

As a4nut mentioned above, pay attention to a type of water pump in espresso machine: choice between rotary pump vs vibration pump. Rotary is much quieter however it's also more expensive than vibe pump.

I'm still using Baratza Preciso grinder which i got 6 years ago. I might upgrade it to something better though. If you look for a grinder, make sure that grinder has micro-adjustments as it plays huge role when dialing in espresso machine. Even with the same coffee beans if you use them for a prolonged period of time (as the coffee beans stale over period of time) you might have to adjust the grinder settings.

Last edited by OrcaPod; 04-16-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:42 AM   #120
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Anyone here own a Flair manual espresso press? Their newest Pro model sounds interesting:

https://www.flairespresso.com/pro

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #121
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Anyone here own a Flair manual espresso press? Their newest Pro model sounds interesting:

https://www.flairespresso.com/pro
That's kind of interesting. Wish it took regular 58mm baskets though.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #122
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Coffee Makers

Currently have a Kerig and its time for a replacement. I cleaned and descaled it but it still takes too long to heat up and the coffee is not great.

My buddy has a deliongi and I am not into that much work for a coffee.

I have done the French press and that’s my weekend go to but on my way to the door if like a fast option.

Anyone have a nesoresso that they like ? If so what model.

Thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #123
swhat
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 MW E92

I have the Breville Barista Express. This is the way. You burn through half the coffee bag the first time to optimize the flow rate, but after that you are golden if you don't switch coffee beans.
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      03-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #124
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I worked for an Italian owned bodyshop in NY and we had a Nespresso machine. That thing was the bomb....No clue what model it was and it was easily 7-8 years back, so probably outdated.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      03-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #125
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I have a Mr. Coffee machine, that I've had for years, whose name is Chester. Yes, Chester Coffeepot. (see Goonies)

He makes fantastic black coffee. Nothing else is needed.
Appreciate 6
Mosaud19983891.00
Esteban42223.00
Tommy-G4467.00
wrickem2101.00
mahalom3163.00
      03-15-2021, 04:09 PM   #126
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

For regular drip coffee I like regular old drip coffee makers. A lot of them let you set it up the night before so the coffee starts brewing before you wake up.

If you want espresso then that's a different story. I have a cheap Nespresso someone gave us and it's alright. I hate buying pods and shit and it only makes espresso shots. I have a Phillips 3200 and I like it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #127
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Old fashion stove top percolator. I can control the brewing cycle.

Attachment 2553452

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15579.50
      03-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #128
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

My preferred method is a Chemex but would suggest a Nespresso if you're in a hurry.
Attached Images

jmack548.50
      03-15-2021, 05:18 PM   #129
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Keurigs creep me out and I really don't like the taste of the coffee at all. I have a Cuisinart Coffee maker that works beautifully. Even has an on timer so I can set it up the night before and wake up to a fresh pot! I also have a French Press that I have not really used at all.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3447.00
      03-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #130
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Another vote for Nespresso. I had one for about 8 years. Put at least 4,000 pods through it. it was a workhorse. Super simple, fast, and miles better than a Keurig, unless what you're after is double chocolate mocha cinnamon vanilla sprinkle in a light brown water that looks more like tea that coffee.

I'd do 1 decaf pd, 1 caf pod, and some hot water to make a nice 1/2 caf Americano on my way out the door to work. When the Nespresso finally died I bought a proper espresso machine that sat on the counter unused for the better part of a year because I didn't have time to actually pull shots before work. Then COVID hit and since I've been working from home and now have time, I use that every day. I do miss the convenience of the Nespresso though.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #131
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

For work, Keurig works good enough for me. If you use the right coffee it can be decent actually. I mean like Pete's or Illy brand coffees not that garbage Donut Shop or whatever the hell you see in waiting rooms at the auto shop.

For home, Nespresso is great for espresso based drinks, but for regular coffee a good pour over is hard to beat. Best if you use the gooseneck Hario just like most baristas use. I use a Cuisinart drip coffee maker that has worked well for a number of years, no complaints. Just depends on how good of coffee you want and how quickly IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #132
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

AeroPress

AeroPress, using it for many years now - Amazon Link.

Last edited by bayarea328xit; 03-15-2021 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: added name to description
Appreciate 0