BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 DIY Guides

04-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
nencmeister
Private
Rep
Drives: Model X Plaid

DIY Interior/Puddle Lights/Trunk/Vanity Mirror LED Retrofit

Here's a simple resource to swapping out the stock (imo ugly) yellow interior bulbs, with nicer, crisper white LEDs. You can buy whole retrofit kits online but you are getting price gouged. I'm no penny pincher, but I'm smart with my money. And I don't trust the ebay F10 retrofit kits, they are too cheap and this way you know you are getting quality bulbs for cheap. These things cost pennies to make..

Everything is plug and play; this took me 30 minutes total and is probably the easier car I've done this with. Don't be intimidated, extremely easy.

I don't think you need CANBUS/error free lights from what I've read.

You also need a plastic or nylon based pry tool. Don't use metal, you can get these for 3$ online or whatever walmart/hardware store near you. Don't use a screw driver on a 110k car..

You also need a very small flat head or phillips screw driver for the vanity light, not for prying but to press down on the small receding latch connector, while you pull the cord.

-------------------------------

Here are all of the bulb sizes and number of lights required, and where they fit, I will also post amazon links below:

FRONT DOME LIGHTS:
T10 Wedge 3x (medium strength)

*you don't want them to be SUPER BRIGHT, but just right, especially if you turn them on while driving at night)

REAR DOME LIGHTS:
T10 Wedge 2x (high strength)

*these I prefer ones that are a bit brighter, they will not interfere with night time driving)

FOOTWELL LIGHTS:
T10 Wedge 2x (medium strength)

GLOVE BOX
T10 Wedge 1x (high or medium strength)

PUDDLE LIGHTS
T10 Wedge 4x (high strength)

TRUNK LID LIGHT
T10 Wedge 1x (high or medium strength)

TRUNK DOME LIGHT:
42MM Festoon LED 1x (the one's linked are medium, you will have spares)

VANITY MIRROR LIGHTS:
I used a kit, posted the amazon link below, you don't need anything fancy. Just a heads up these are really bright, I wouldn't say too bright but they are pretty darn bright. You can use another kit (any F10 kit should work) I wouldn't try opening up the housing to replace the light, just didn't seem worth it, and they are very cheap. Just don't throw your old housing away just in case you have issues.

Getting the housing out was super easy, but unlatching the wire was a bit tricky. You need to press down on the small opening on the connector to be able to pull the cord off.

Also, make sure when you plug in the housing, that its nice and snug. The connector is so very slightly different, but it does fit. Might even want to wrap it with a bit of electrical table.

--------------------------

**note** The high/medium strength lights are interchangeable, my only actual opinion is to use the high strength T10s for the puddle lights

High strength T10 LEDs for puddle, back dome* (and if you choose, trunk lid/glove box for more light) you need to purchase two of these (total 8)

2x
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Medium Strength T10 LEDs for front dome lights, glove box, trunk lid light, and footwell lights

1x

Vanity Mirror Lights/Housing

1x

Disconnecting the plug and play cable, and reconnecting was the hardest part of the mini project. But these do work, and are pretty damn bright. Again, any F10 housing should work just fine.

TOOL KIT *optional*

I only used the "Narrow Type Remover" for the whole retrofit* you really don't need anything fancy, just don't use a screw driver, we're not apes.

-----------------------

Again, you don't need to buy these specific ones, these are the ones I used and am happy with. You just need 14x T10 Wedge lights, and 1x 42MM Festoon for the trunk dome light, and the vanity mirror replacements. So only 3x separate items for the whole car.

Install: I just followed this video, super easy, your mom can do this.

Appreciate 3
20M51516.50
GlenM534.00
      04-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black sapphire M5

👍👍 appreciate you putting this together and sharing!!
      04-22-2019, 01:22 AM   #3
mrtt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46/E60/E92/F10/E55

depending on what year your vehicle is, footwell will be different. Mine is 2014 and it's not a T10 but LED PCB
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 03:37 AM   #4
Gel2al2d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Toyota MR2, '14 BMW M5

how do you remove the rear dome light? is it the same procedure?

I cant seem to pry it off, our dome light looks different from the video
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
Grizzle34
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 G12 740Ld Xdrive M Sport

i bought the BMW LED kit not cheap but very very good quality.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HpsvrLb4D8afMuYE6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/piLHh5hoWywE39VU7
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #6
GiddyAssassin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW M5 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [10.00]
I just went through this myself, but had a couple small variations. My car is a 2014 and I did not have the 42MM Festoon LED. Additionally my footwell are not T10 wedge style. They look like this. Can anyone else point me to where I can purchase these in a hue that will match the other LEDs I have put in the interior? This is obviously an LED, but it has more of an orange hue.

EDIT: I found this site through searching, but they are in Germany. There has to be somewhere I can get one in the US
https://www.hypercolor.de/Footwell-L...-Light-Package

Last edited by GiddyAssassin; 05-03-2019 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Added information
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
nencmeister
Private
Rep
Drives: Model X Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gel2al2d View Post

Was the easiest part of the install. Just use a plastic pry tool and start removing it from the back (from drivers seat, the part that is closer to you) not kidding was the easiest to remove. If you need help I can take a pic for you
      05-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #8
GiddyAssassin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW M5 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nencmeister View Post
Was the easiest part of the install. Just use a plastic pry tool and start removing it from the back (from drivers seat, the part that is closer to you) not kidding was the easiest to remove. If you need help I can take a pic for you
Yep. Just did it and that's how I did it too. Mine was different than the video. Just had the two bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #9
Gel2al2d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Toyota MR2, '14 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nencmeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gel2al2d View Post

Ohh ok gonna try and let you guys know. I was trying and trying like the video says but it wasn't moving. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0