M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #45
steeve13m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

my opinion if you use these intakes like MSR just swap the filters to a K&N that fits and you are all set with better filtration
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #46
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeve13m View Post
my opinion if you use these intakes like MSR just swap the filters to a K&N that fits and you are all set with better filtration
its difficult to fit K&N filter with his pipe and also the stone will broke the intake with time the place of intake seems not right to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #47
steeve13m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by waleed760@gmail.com View Post
its difficult to fit K&N filter with his pipe and also the stone will broke the intake with time the place of intake seems not right to me.
I have this one works great

http://www.burgertuning.com/s63tu_BM...ce_intake.html
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 02:30 PM   #48
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeve13m View Post
Yes before I want to buy this but the problem is that the advertisement fooled me to buy a MSR. what i like about terry BMS is straight froward with his pricing and product. much much reasonable pricing.
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50
      01-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #49
135iDCT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
I have RK Autowerks with filters similar to MSR's. I took them off yesterday and found rust and tons or dust inside. Lots of dust and grime on the metal adapter, too.

MSR uses Blitz and RK uses some other brand (found some on eBay for $15!).

Stick with K&N cones or stock set-up with K&N drop-ins.

Just my opinion
both of them will hurt the turbos and the engine but at least the RK intake is carbon fiber and about 500$ less than MSR SS pipe, unreasonable price
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2018, 10:20 PM   #50
BMWAUDIO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Frozen Gray , 997 C4S

Waleed,
The burger intakes would probably have had the same result in your country . The problem is not with the products , the problem is you are suing them in an area of the world that is known for bad weather conditions and sand etc...

Those intakes sound great because they let more air flow but along with the airflow comes small particles . I would agree in this case that it is not the fault of the filters .You should in any case try to find a used motor to replace yours or gets yours rebuilt at a reputable shop that is capable of doing so .

Good luck to you and in the future you may want to stick w/ oem airboxes and drop in filters from either BMC or K&N.
i dont think intake adds any additional power
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:07 PM   #51
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

For what it's worth, the airflow difference between K&N and SS filters is not much, nothing note worthy at least. The filtration from K&N is much greater though, we're comparing something rated at 220 micron vs 80 micron.

-R
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 12:27 AM   #52
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAUDIO View Post
Waleed,
The burger intakes would probably have had the same result in your country . The problem is not with the products , the problem is you are suing them in an area of the world that is known for bad weather conditions and sand etc...

Those intakes sound great because they let more air flow but along with the airflow comes small particles . I would agree in this case that it is not the fault of the filters .You should in any case try to find a used motor to replace yours or gets yours rebuilt at a reputable shop that is capable of doing so .

Good luck to you and in the future you may want to stick w/ oem airboxes and drop in filters from either BMC or K&N.
i dont think intake adds any additional power
but if msr is selling that intake for that price they should tell us the risk or how to prevent what happened to me.also terry intake is not on the forefront of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 12:29 AM   #53
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@RKautowerks View Post
For what it's worth, the airflow difference between K&N and SS filters is not much, nothing note worthy at least. The filtration from K&N is much greater though, we're comparing something rated at 220 micron vs 80 micron.

-R
i Fully agree with you he should use at least K&N but for the Instgram post and get popular to attract with noise it make
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:24 AM   #54
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

To be honest I ran the BMS intake (engine bay) ones and they sounded nearly identical to the grill intake. I am sure the gain on intakes is next to nothing really but woosh sound is what we all like.....I would say 65% the same sound BMS has as the grill intakes. BMS caused my MAF to die not sure why and threw CEL for me the grill intake had no problems with throwing a CEL.

Also for some reason any aftermarket intake make the exhaust pop more? Anyone know why this is?

Everytime I switch back to stock intake with kn filter the exhaust note go back to quiet, but with BMS and the grill intake the exhaust note is changed greatly?

This is with catless DP and reso delete also along with intakes.

U should do BMS and some RPI scoops so the front end can look really mean.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #55
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
I have RK Autowerks with filters similar to MSR's. I took them off yesterday and found rust and tons or dust inside. Lots of dust and grime on the metal adapter, too.

MSR uses Blitz and RK uses some other brand (found some on eBay for $15!).

Stick with K&N cones or stock set-up with K&N drop-ins.

Just my opinion
Your RKs didn't come with K&N filters? Interesting...

I think the pre-filters/socks are a must regardless of where you live and how much sound/power loss you experience with having them on.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #56
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Your RKs didn't come with K&N filters? Interesting...

I think the pre-filters/socks are a must regardless of where you live and how much sound/power loss you experience with having them on.
RK gives you the option of K&N or Blitz (for sound mostly). I'm in socal and run the RK with K&N without any socks/covering; been through one raining season just fine. I purchased a 2nd K&N set to swap whenever I clean them every few months.
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 1
mirob2944.50
      02-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #57
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
RK gives you the option of K&N or Blitz (for sound mostly). I'm in socal and run the RK with K&N without any socks/covering; been through one raining season just fine. I purchased a 2nd K&N set to swap whenever I clean them every few months.
Ohhh, ok. I didn't have that option (that I know) when I was getting mine so I wasn't sure what the deal is.

I don't think a lot of people have issues without pre-filters, it's just for peace of mind. Last oil change I took the pre-filters off thinking I was going to wash the filters, but they were clean. Just needed the wipe down the pre-filter. I liked that aspect of it.

Having an extra set of filters to put on to avoid downtime is a pretty good idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #58
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
MSR uses Blitz , RK uses a private label brand (mine rusted in one month). I put the K&N back on and will probably keep it that way. The amount of dust and grime allowed into the pipes, turbos, and engine by these stainless filters is not worth the great sound they make, imo.
Appreciate 1
135iDCT136.00
      02-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #59
chrisho68
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F10 M5

Sorry to hear about your engine and car. Honestly, I don't know if MSR knew the conditions you'd be driving the car in. I've had nothing but good interactions and responsiveness with George. The conditions you're driving in sound like some of the toughest and most brutal for most cars, let alone performance cars.

Good luck with finding a resolution and shop for the repair. Not sure if anyone already asked, but what's your car insurance situation? Perhaps you have some coverage that will take care of "mechanical" issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #60
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

If BMW could 100% state that everybody drove in a nice dust-free, cool, not very rainy climate all the time they probably would have put K&N's or cone filters from the factory. The reason they put these restrictive filters is to account for EVERY possible environment people expose their cars to.

It's the owner's responsibility to determine if the performance mod they choose reflect their use case.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 01:30 AM   #61
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
If BMW could 100% state that everybody drove in a nice dust-free, cool, not very rainy climate all the time they probably would have put K&N's or cone filters from the factory. The reason they put these restrictive filters is to account for EVERY possible environment people expose their cars to.

It's the owner's responsibility to determine if the performance mod they choose reflect their use case.
I done many car modification with K&N filters or AFE never ever that problem happen with more power level than my M5 F10 , i have received PM from people saying that they checked there intake after seeing my post.imagine that they found some dust on their pipe and they removed that intake and they appreciate me for that. the problem here is too much of marketing and overpricing without testing( at that cost you expect every thing will be perfect and tested ). on your last point i agree with you i choose-ed the wrong = (lost my car ) intake i hope every body open there eyes.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #62
DCT OFF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M sports,2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waleed760@gmail.com View Post
I done many car modification with K&N filters or AFE never ever that problem happen with more power level than my M5 F10 , i have received PM from people saying that they checked there intake after seeing my post.imagine that they found some dust on their pipe and they removed that intake and they appreciate me for that. the problem here is too much of marketing and overpricing without testing( at that cost you expect every thing will be perfect and tested ). on your last point i agree with you i choose-ed the wrong = (lost my car ) intake i hope every body open there eyes.
I’ve been running this prefilters because I wanted to make sure I didn’t get any minor dust.MSR sends everyone prefilters to use,he can’t control what we decide to do.I care about my car my and wanted performance with it,my car is fully modded and I’ve had this 700whp tune for the last three years.I have over 112,000 miles and with his INTAKE at 90,000 +miles and been at the track events,daily driven in every climate and my car is still in mint condition.I maintained my car always cleaned and checked to make sure in good running condition.its one thing to educate people how to maintain and properly use the product then actually bash the name from your neglect and improper installation.sorry man hope things work out .
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 04:12 AM   #63
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT OFF View Post
I’ve been running this prefilters because I wanted to make sure I didn’t get any minor dust.MSR sends everyone prefilters to use,he can’t control what we decide to do.I care about my car my and wanted performance with it,my car is fully modded and I’ve had this 700whp tune for the last three years.I have over 112,000 miles and with his INTAKE at 90,000 +miles and been at the track events,daily driven in every climate and my car is still in mint condition.I maintained my car always cleaned and checked to make sure in good running condition.its one thing to educate people how to maintain and properly use the product then actually bash the name from your neglect and improper installation.sorry man hope things work out .
At that car price level i think who will not take care about his maintenance.your writing what MSR guy wrote to me sending the same paragraph is not a good idea. also the prefilter caused my friend car to turn off sometimes and your MSR friend never post on Instgram or any where about his prfilter even on installation manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #64
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@RKautowerks View Post

-R
I thought you established many months ago that those SS filters used in the MSR intake didn't filter squat. Scientific proof too. Yet people still put them in their cars.

Question...Is the intake noise really from the intake or from all the particulates ice skating around your engine? I kid.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #65
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

between all the different intakes i don't think anyone else has seen anything like this, i think this is an individual issue, either installation error or the extreme conditions
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #66
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
I thought you established many months ago that those SS filters used in the MSR intake didn't filter squat. Scientific proof too. Yet people still put them in their cars.
RK is happy to sell Blitz knock-offs, though. Check out their instagram. Mine rusted out in a month

I will say that his service is great, I had new filters in a week (same stainless filters). I decided to leave K&N on given the amout of dirt and grime the SS filters let into the turbos, so I have a new set of SS filters (no-name brand) if anyone is interested.

The whoosh sound was fun, it's about all these were good for.
Appreciate 1
mister2d155.50