M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-07-2023, 10:42 AM   #1233
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
4745
Rep
4,000
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

theres no doubt tesla is the biggest player right now with the best cars...but its like going to sharktank with a new soda idea...coke and pepsi own the world. so sooner or later other makers will catch up. i know a stretcher but you all will get it.

alas we like in a world of massive virtue signaling, and people like greta get put on TIME magazine for their short-sighted ideas. people love to cheer in the present for ideas that require massive work (not saying it can't or shouldn't be done). forgetting the past and the future. the government runs our power grid and as such will demand usage to undergo the infrastructure changed. so i agree its only a matter of time before ICE is all gone. not in my lifetime tho
Appreciate 3
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
Cos270592.00
KRS_SN12387.50
      02-07-2023, 10:49 AM   #1234
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
2327
Rep
3,021
Posts

Drives: 12 plaids on order
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Tesla Land

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
theres no doubt tesla is the biggest player right now with the best cars...but its like going to sharktank with a new soda idea...coke and pepsi own the world. so sooner or later other makers will catch up. i know a stretcher but you all will get it.

alas we like in a world of massive virtue signaling, and people like greta get put on TIME magazine for their short-sighted ideas. people love to cheer in the present for ideas that require massive work (not saying it can't or shouldn't be done). forgetting the past and the future. the government runs our power grid and as such will demand usage to undergo the infrastructure changed. so i agree its only a matter of time before ICE is all gone. not in my lifetime tho
Right. I said this many times in these ev threads.

I said itíll take 5-7 years for car makers to catch Tesla. Faster if tesla doesnít innovate what they have now or slower if they do.

But people hate tesla so much they kill the middle man who praise the brand even though Iím not wrong on everything said about the car maker.

They are the number 1 ev car maker today period.

People need to stock up on their tampons for their pussies.
__________________
2035 on the move!!! lmaooooooooo
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 02:19 PM   #1235
OkieSnuffBox
Major
1803
Rep
1,011
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Cheese and rice. This thread and the Corvette thread have just been "Let's just all say the same thing to each other over and over until we die."
Appreciate 4
      02-07-2023, 02:29 PM   #1236
991C2
Enlisted Member
93
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: BMW X3, Porsche 911, VW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

For the life of me, I can't understand why they wouldn't develop hydrogen powered cars.
Synthetic fuels will help keep us going while the morons in Washington and other world leaders screw everything up. The price is high now, but scale things up and the price will drop drastically.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 05:00 PM   #1237
OkieSnuffBox
Major
1803
Rep
1,011
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991C2 View Post
For the life of me, I can't understand why they wouldn't develop hydrogen powered cars.
Synthetic fuels will help keep us going while the morons in Washington and other world leaders screw everything up. The price is high now, but scale things up and the price will drop drastically.
My understanding is the energy it takes to create hydrogen is more than the energy of the resulting energy in the hydrogen.
Appreciate 1
chris7196927.00
      02-07-2023, 05:12 PM   #1238
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5010
Rep
1,866
Posts

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991C2 View Post
For the life of me, I can't understand why they wouldn't develop hydrogen powered cars.
Synthetic fuels will help keep us going while the morons in Washington and other world leaders screw everything up. The price is high now, but scale things up and the price will drop drastically.
I thought 100% hydrogen was going to win out. Mainly because using it seems a lot like how we use gas. Just retrofit gas stations to pump hydrogen. Then I saw some video about why batteries won out and it made sense. It's apparently quite expensive to build hydrogen stations, it's not very efficient etc. I don't remember all the points, but I remember after I saw it I understood why it lost.

That was before even considering an EV. Now that I own one I personally wouldn't want hydrogen. One of the things I like most is never going to "fill up". I just plug it in at home and I always start the day with a full "tank". However I can see how some people may prefer it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 05:33 PM   #1239
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
2327
Rep
3,021
Posts

Drives: 12 plaids on order
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Tesla Land

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
And not to mention how dangerous a hydrogen station would be.
__________________
2035 on the move!!! lmaooooooooo
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 08:27 PM   #1240
chris719
Major General
6927
Rep
6,978
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Hydrogen is dumb as hell from a physics and economic standpoint. Hybrid ICE is a far better strategy for those use cases that EVs are not suitable for.
Appreciate 3
Cos270592.00
RM72768.50
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      02-08-2023, 11:22 AM   #1241
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
4745
Rep
4,000
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Cheese and rice. This thread and the Corvette thread have just been "Let's just all say the same thing to each other over and over until we die."
shut Okie you don't know shit !!!!!!!

its beans and rice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:ma d0259:
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2023, 12:37 PM   #1242
MmmmmM2
Colonel
MmmmmM2's Avatar
2539
Rep
2,398
Posts

Drives: 2021 M2C
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
This thread doesn't disappoint.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502921.50
      02-08-2023, 12:44 PM   #1243
Patton250
Colonel
Patton250's Avatar
2922
Rep
2,538
Posts

Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

I would absolutely own this. There. See if we can compromise. I imagine this things not going to start falling apart on the first day of delivery like Teslas do. that and it’s actually really good looking in my opinion. Unlike any other EV on the market. Still though the Tesla charging station grid all over the country is far superior to where this can get charged right?

https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/mo.../overview.html
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 12:54 PM   #1244
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2251
Rep
1,307
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I would absolutely own this. There. See if we can compromise. I imagine this things not going to start falling apart on the first day of delivery like Teslas do. that and it’s actually really good looking in my opinion. Unlike any other EV on the market. Still though the Tesla charging station grid all over the country is far superior to where this can get charged right?

https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/mo.../overview.html

lol...Tesla falls apart on day of delivery

hyperbolize much?

The E-Tron is nice, but I'd rather have an M3 Performance (that out performs it btw) a 718 Cayman and two Sea Doo's for the same price



don't need to speak German to figure out what they're saying....

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 02-08-2023 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 12:59 PM   #1245
Patton250
Colonel
Patton250's Avatar
2922
Rep
2,538
Posts

Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
lol...Tesla falls apart on day of delivery

hyperbolize much?

The E-Tron is nice, but I'd rather have an M3 Performance (that out performs it btw) a 718 Cayman and two Sea Doo's for the same price
Brother, you can laugh all you want. Thatís the biggest complaint I hear about Tesla. Iím talking about parts on the the inside of it coming off the day of delivery. This is not some sort of secret. This is a well-known problem. Are you saying itís not true? That itís not widespread and a big problem?

Iím not really crazy about any of BMWs all electric vehicles. I did check out their SUV last week. It was freaking ugly. And of course Iíd rather have an M3 than an electric car but weíre talking about electric cars here. I only requirement would be that it looks good. Unfortunately thatís just very rare. Looks are subjective obviously.
.
Appreciate 3
MmmmmM22539.00
KRS_SN12387.50
      02-08-2023, 01:09 PM   #1246
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2251
Rep
1,307
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Brother, you can laugh all you want. Thatís the biggest complaint I hear about Tesla. Iím talking about parts on the the inside of it coming off the day of delivery. This is not some sort of secret. This is a well-known problem. Are you saying itís not true? That itís not widespread and a big problem?

Iím not really crazy about any of BMWs all electric vehicles. I did check out their SUV last week. It was freaking ugly. And of course Iíd rather have an M3 than an electric car but weíre talking about electric cars here. I only requirement would be that it looks good. Unfortunately thatís just very rare. Looks are subjective obviously.
.
the company dwarfs BMW and Mercedes in sales and they've only been around about ten years...thats crazy and you don't do that by making cars that you are trying to say they make.

There was the QC issues they had in the early years, but lets not try and act like every car they make has issues...thats ignorant

BTW, I had a E39 back in the day....I think every button in that car eventually fell off
Appreciate 1
Patton2502921.50
      02-08-2023, 01:09 PM   #1247
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
2327
Rep
3,021
Posts

Drives: 12 plaids on order
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Tesla Land

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My 2022 m3 rattles.

My 2022 tesla does not.

Yay!
__________________
2035 on the move!!! lmaooooooooo
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 01:10 PM   #1248
Patton250
Colonel
Patton250's Avatar
2922
Rep
2,538
Posts

Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
the company dwarfs BMW and Mercedes in sales and they've only been around about ten years...thats crazy and you don't do that by making cars that you are trying to say they make.

There was the QC issues they had in the early years, but lets not try and act like every car they make has issues...thats ignorant

BTW, I had a E39 back in the day....I think every button in that car eventually fell off
No doubt about that. I agree with you. But that Audi I posted a link to is better looking than the entire tesla lineup combined. You have to admit that. Lol
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN12387.50
      02-08-2023, 03:40 PM   #1249
M3WC
Brigadier General
3317
Rep
3,074
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ...location...location

iTrader: (0)

This seems like the thread for this.

How is Porsche going to address this issue with Cayman EV? Enthusiasts do like to attend track days.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ning-lap-2023/

Quote:
Each 4.1-mile hot lap consumed about 20 percent of the i4's state of charge and, as is typical for EVs, power drops off as the battery depletes, so it wasn't productive to do more than one fast lap before hooking it up for a couple-hour recharge.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 03:34 PM   #1250
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5010
Rep
1,866
Posts

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
No doubt about that. I agree with you. But that Audi I posted a link to is better looking than the entire tesla lineup combined. You have to admit that. Lol
The Audi you posted starts at $144k gets 232 mile range and does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds.

A Model 3 performance costs $54k gets 315 mile range and does 0-60 in the same 3.1 seconds.

Does the Audi look better than the Model 3 yes, does it have better build quality yes. Am I willing to pay an extra $90k to get a car with less range but nicer looks and better build quality? Fuck no!

I'm sure there are some people here who could and would spend an extra $90k for the looks and build quality, but I'm sure the vast majority of people wouldn't, especially the vast majority of people who aren't car people and couldn't give two shits about panel gaps.
Appreciate 3
      02-09-2023, 04:07 PM   #1251
Patton250
Colonel
Patton250's Avatar
2922
Rep
2,538
Posts

Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
The Audi you posted starts at $144k gets 232 mile range and does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds.

A Model 3 performance costs $54k gets 315 mile range and does 0-60 in the same 3.1 seconds.

Does the Audi look better than the Model 3 yes, does it have better build quality yes. Am I willing to pay an extra $90k to get a car with less range but nicer looks and better build quality? Fuck no!

I'm sure there are some people here who could and would spend an extra $90k for the looks and build quality, but I'm sure the vast majority of people wouldn't, especially the vast majority of people who aren't car people and couldn't give two shits about panel gaps.
Brother, I totally get what youíre saying. The problem for me and Iím talking about me only is the model 3 is freaking ugly as shit. Iím talking Prius ugly. In my opinion, MY personal opinion. The Plaid ainít much better looking. The model Y is not quite ugly but still disappointing. I love Elon musk and I love the idea of tesla but all of his cars in my opinion are not only ugly but holy shit ugly. Actually worse than ugly. Just stupid looking. Pointy on one end and that dumb ass curve on the back. Ugly like a Prius. Thatís the best way I can put it. So I would pay $100,000 more to be in a better looking car. Thatís just me. All that even if the Tesla had the best, build quality in the world which from what I understand they donít.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2023, 04:26 PM   #1252
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
2327
Rep
3,021
Posts

Drives: 12 plaids on order
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Tesla Land

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
The Audi you posted starts at $144k gets 232 mile range and does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds.

A Model 3 performance costs $54k gets 315 mile range and does 0-60 in the same 3.1 seconds.

Does the Audi look better than the Model 3 yes, does it have better build quality yes. Am I willing to pay an extra $90k to get a car with less range but nicer looks and better build quality? Fuck no!

I'm sure there are some people here who could and would spend an extra $90k for the looks and build quality, but I'm sure the vast majority of people wouldn't, especially the vast majority of people who aren't car people and couldn't give two shits about panel gaps.
The etron actually does look better than taycan but both in general look like shit.

Debadge all the cars and the plaid looks tons better than both.

If they made a model 3 plaid it would be lights out for everyone else.
__________________
2035 on the move!!! lmaooooooooo
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 04:32 PM   #1253
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Canada
4601
Rep
3,603
Posts

Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Debadge all the cars and the plaid looks tons better than both.
Not a chance. The S looks old now.
__________________
Current: 2022 Audi RS5 / 2022 Audi Q7
Gone: 2020 BMW M340i / 2019 Audi RS5
Appreciate 1
Cos270592.00
      02-09-2023, 05:47 PM   #1254
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
2327
Rep
3,021
Posts

Drives: 12 plaids on order
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Tesla Land

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Not a chance. The S looks old now.
To you, it still looks better than both the etron and taycan.
__________________
2035 on the move!!! lmaooooooooo
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST