M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

03-17-2024, 12:24 AM   #1
BishoMala
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 GC

Valve stem seals job in OC?

I believe my valve stem seals started to be fail, or it might be some PVC hose. I'm not quite sure. any recommended shop in OC that you guys trust to have a look at it?

In case it really was valve stem seals, any idea how much it is gonna cost approx.?

Last edited by BishoMala; 03-17-2024 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: Fix title
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:14 AM   #2
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Having blow by or blue smoke coming from the exhaust? How many miles? What are your symptoms and do you have a CEL? If you’re mechanically able, the PVC hose is a cheap and easy quick fix. I recommend doing that yourself then if your issue still persist, don’t throw money into opening up the engine for a valve stem job unless the shop can undoubtedly ensure that’s your issue.

But first you need to find a shop that can do the accessment. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60060.50
      03-17-2024, 03:59 AM   #3
BishoMala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Having blow by or blue smoke coming from the exhaust? How many miles? What are your symptoms and do you have a CEL? If you’re mechanically able, the PVC hose is a cheap and easy quick fix. I recommend doing that yourself then if your issue still persist, don’t throw money into opening up the engine for a valve stem job unless the shop can undoubtedly ensure that’s your issue.

But first you need to find a shop that can do the accessment. Good luck.
After idling for couple of minutes, I do get a big puff with the first rev, and then it goes away. leave it idling for a couple of minutes, rev it again and another puff comes out (in colder nights) However, during the day when it is hotter the puff is barely visible but it is there (and can smell something, not sure if it is oil)

the car is currently at 100k miles

Here is a video after almost 30 minutes of driving followed by 10 minutes of idling:
https://streamable.com/85ujs5
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 08:07 PM   #4
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

TBH, this could be one or several issues. It looks like the blueish smoke I had. My my mechanic and shop played an educated game of whackamole. PCV valves, fuel injectors, valve cover gasket, turbos etc. They ended up saying it was valve stems but I decided to rebuild the engine. During the breakdown, the shop found piston rings on the left side of the block to be worn but the valve stems were good. If you don’t have a CEL, ride it until you get one or play whackamole. Just kidding but good luck.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60060.50
      03-17-2024, 09:19 PM   #5
BishoMala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
TBH, this could a one or several issues. It looks like the blueish smoke I had. My my mechanic and shop played an educated game of whackamole. PCV valves, fuel injectors, valve cover gasket, turbos etc. They ended up saying it was valve stems but I decided to rebuild the engine. During the breakdown, the shop found piston rings on the left side of the block to be worn but the valve stems were good. If you don’t have a CEL, ride it until you get one or play whackamole. Just kidding but good luck.
Oh this is a nightmare I’m not ready for 🥲 but as you said I’m gonna ride it until it dies
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60060.50