M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

08-30-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Rear Bumper Cover Repair/ PDC

So long story short, my rear bumper cover has a hole in it small size, about the size of a dime in diameter from backing into a tree, its completely cosmetic.

i dont want to go through my insurance because my deductible is $1000

i keep hear that i can get it done for about $500 to take off the cover, repair the hole/paint and reinstall.

but i also hear that the sensors on the bumper for the Parking Distance Control have to be re calibrated and that i may as well go through my insurance because of the cost of the calibration and repair?

any thoughts?
      03-25-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
So long story short, my rear bumper cover has a hole in it small size, about the size of a dime in diameter from backing into a tree, its completely cosmetic.

i keep hear that i can get it done for about $500 to take off the cover, repair the hole/paint and reinstall.

but i also hear that the sensors on the bumper for the Parking Distance Control have to be re calibrated and that i may as well go through my insurance because of the cost of the calibration and repair?

any thoughts?
Just take it to a good body shop and have them repair it, your sensors will be fine, they wont repaint then and they will just reinstall them into the same position. there are brackets behind the bumper that hold sensors in place and sensors can only go in 1 way. Dont worry about calibration. you only really need to calibrate the lane departure camera and front radar. Those things are important and need calibration for sure. parking sensors just measure how close an object is to them, you cant really mess them up unless you make a new hole and install it in a different spot in the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 06:09 AM   #3
f10toby
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post

any thoughts?
Can you share a photo at all? I've repaired a similar issue in my rear bumper with the bumper on without issue if you can get to the inside of it. It is easier taking it off, and they're not difficult to take off. You shouldn't have to re-calibrate reversing sensors though but don't paint over them!
Appreciate 0