M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-15-2022, 01:30 AM   #1
m5_Daz
Rep
Drives: m5 f10

excessive oil consumption

i have owned my 2014 56k mileage M5 for 2 months now i have done approx 1k mile and probably had to top up the oil 3 or 4 time approx 1.5litres or more in that time. i have 1 month remianing on the 3 month warranty , but i am really worried about the oil usage and cant be arsed with dealer questions and back and forth with them over warranties and the hassle of being in and out a garage for them to perhaps not find anything as i know these things do use abit of oil just seems abit high IMO.,.....thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 07:49 AM   #2
hawker1986
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

TBH if you still have warranty I would be making use of it and speaking with the dealership, if there is something wrong you'll probably regret not making use of the warranty.

From what I remember from readings on this before my purchase BMW state anything up to 1L/1K miles is acceptable though I personally wouldnt be happy with that sort of oil usage. Sounds like yours is using more than that. I think its related to how the car was driven early in its life though I dont know the details. My personal experience is that my car uses about 1L every 6-8k miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 05:05 PM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Your pcv valves may need changing, from what I see they're easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 10:05 AM   #4
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Your pcv valves may need changing, from what I see they're easy to do.
A good sign of this is to pull the airbox off each side and look into the intake. If it's got a bunch of oil on a given side, replacing the PCV would be a good first start.

If one is using a 30 weight, switching to a 40 is also not a bad idea. I saw my own consumption improve doing this, and it's better protection to boot.
      01-26-2022, 06:19 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
A good sign of this is to pull the airbox off each side and look into the intake. If it's got a bunch of oil on a given side, replacing the PCV would be a good first start.

If one is using a 30 weight, switching to a 40 is also not a bad idea. I saw my own consumption improve doing this, and it's better protection to boot.
I switched from a 30 to an 0W40,it's always going to give better protection. Like you I'm very happy with it and top ups are less frequent.
Appreciate 0