M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

08-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Continuing war on motorists from councils and gov.

If you've had enough of gov. and councils 'war' on the motorist eg. overuse of traffic islands,traffic humps,20mph limits, refusal to put in an 80mph or higher motorway limit, ridiculous parking restrictions and many other issues imposed underhandedly by councils without public consultation there is hope. I've joined a voluntary organisation that fights for motorists rights that challenges decisions,legally if need be.ABD costs a nominal subscription and you get a news letter online with contacts to air concerns that affect your journeys
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

i dont mind 20mph limits on side streets and outside schools, and wish theyd ban pavement parking. Should be minimum speeds on motorways and much higher max speed though.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60016.50
      08-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
i dont mind 20mph limits on side streets and outside schools, and wish theyd ban pavement parking. Should be minimum speeds on motorways and much higher max speed though.
Getting worse coming into London with cars getting boxed in more, pavements being widened when it's roads that should be widened.For instance the A23 in Streatham has high central islands that once housed plants and bushes and they serve no purpose except a hindrance to free flowing traffic and the council won't get rid of them and waste money elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Getting worse coming into London with cars getting boxed in more, pavements being widened when it's roads that should be widened.For instance the A23 in Streatham has high central islands that once housed plants and bushes and they serve no purpose except a hindrance to free flowing traffic and the council won't get rid of them and waste money elsewhere.

I have family in the Chigwell area, I actually don't take my M6 anymore on account of those crazy traffic calming bollards, I used to drive through the middle using the service entrance, but I see that there cameras everywhere
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60016.50
      08-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
I have family in the Chigwell area, I actually don't take my M6 anymore on account of those crazy traffic calming bollards, I used to drive through the middle using the service entrance, but I see that there cameras everywhere
Another of the many reasons there is no motorist lobby in Parliament and never has been as far as I know. One person just suddenly said there will be no more new fuel driven cars sold after 2035!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:07 AM   #6
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I’m inconvenienced by this stuff as much as the next person, mainly because I drive a daily M5 that wasn’t designed for urban crawl.

There’s a big flaw in the intentions of any organisation challenging road traffic rules and restrictions. It can be summed up in one word:

Chavs

If you successfully removed any of the traffic restrictions mentioned, the sort of people who post on this thread or join ABD would react in a considerate and sensible way. The chavs would just take the <bleep>.

If you want a taster of what modern roads and modern big fast cars feel like with enforcement-lite and a free-for-all embattled mentality, drive a few commutes in Riyadh. I used to LOVE coming back the UK and enjoying regulated traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 05:19 AM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
I’m inconvenienced by this stuff as much as the next person, mainly because I drive a daily M5 that wasn’t designed for urban crawl.

There’s a big flaw in the intentions of any organisation challenging road traffic rules and restrictions. It can be summed up in one word:

Chavs

If you successfully removed any of the traffic restrictions mentioned, the sort of people who post on this thread or join ABD would react in a considerate and sensible way. The chavs would just take the <bleep>.

If you want a taster of what modern roads and modern big fast cars feel like with enforcement-lite and a free-for-all embattled mentality, drive a few commutes in Riyadh. I used to LOVE coming back the UK and enjoying regulated traffic.
Smell the coffee mate we're being boxed in slowly and surely, nothing chavy about challenging that the law and councils are an ASS in some respects.You try coming into London and parking up, naturally can't be compared with a place like Riyadh but come on..no motoring lobby in Parliament.Lots of MP's there ride bikes like lefty one's e.g. Corbyn and others are driven around in chauffeur cars and taxi's.

Last edited by M5Rick; 08-31-2020 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Smell the coffee mate we're being boxed in slowly and surely, nothing chavy about challenging that the law and councils are an ASS in some respects.You try coming into London and parking up, naturally can't be compared with a place like Riyadh but come on..no motoring lobby in Parliament.Lots of MP's there ride bikes like lefty one's e.g. Corbyn and others are driven around in chauffeur cars and taxi's.
If you look again at what I wrote, I’m not suggesting you or ABD etc are chavs, what I’m saying is that if you were successful in challenging and removing some of these measures, then the people who would ‘spoil it for everyone’ would be the chavs. They would rag their cars around residential areas, drive like loonies on motorways and park wherever they felt like, irrespective of impact. They already do, it would just be unchallenged.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
If you look again at what I wrote, I’m not suggesting you or ABD etc are chavs, what I’m saying is that if you were successful in challenging and removing some of these measures, then the people who would ‘spoil it for everyone’ would be the chavs. They would rag their cars around residential areas, drive like loonies on motorways and park wherever they felt like, irrespective of impact. They already do, it would just be unchallenged.
Like the rich visitors with their shipped in loud sports cars driving in places like Kensington,of course this is an isolated case of disturbing the neighbours and being a nuisance.
I was trying to refer to everyday things mainly councils for instance deciding to block roads off for no real reason, narrowing roads, and also this ULEZ coming in September next year and many other things.
In 2017 Michael Gove the then Environment minister asked councils to take down road humps,it's not happening and places like Lambeth are adding more road humps.So some additional pressure is needed to counter the rebel councils.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 03:09 AM   #10
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

I blame the 5G transmitters
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #11
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant