09-12-2020, 02:48 AM   #1
TinTin888
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

AFE Pro Dry S air filters or Drop-in filters

Hi,
Does anyone on here used this dry air filter set in their M5 F10?

Please give me some feedbacks or reviews. Will this type of high-flow air filters mess up the air MAF sensors as some other filters on the market?

Really appreciate it
regards
      09-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

I have the afe dry filters, only issue I've notice is the erratic idle on cold start up which I'm not sure if I got after I installed them or had already. I haven't had any other problems as far as power goes, At 600+whp.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

I have them, no issues whatsoever. Slight increase in sound as well.

What I will tell is that I chose them because I heard of others going through MAF's due to the oil on oiled filters like K&N and BMC.
      09-14-2020, 06:44 AM   #4
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
A dry filter should always be chosen over the oiled filters out there. For the reasons stated. You WILL foul the MAF's over time with oiled filters.
Appreciate 3
      09-15-2020, 12:03 AM   #5
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5m / Alpine White

dangit I just put in BMC's.. have been super happy.. guess I should switch to these.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
A dry filter should always be chosen over the oiled filters out there. For the reasons stated. You WILL foul the MAF's over time with oiled filters.
I've been curious about this, as my car came with K&Ns* and I pulled them due to the stories of MAF issues. How is one doing permanent damage to the sensors with just some filter oil? I can understand them functioning poorly when covered in it, but ruining them seems crazy. I've seen people mention the oil on the MAF then collecting dust/dirt whatever, but what dust/dirt/whatever is there after the filter, or is it collecting carbon/whatever that seeps back in after the engine is off?

Under the assumption that the main risk is over-oiling, I've also mulled over putting the charcoal filters back in after re-oiling the K&Ns, doing a few hard pulls to get it sucking a lot of air through, then pulling the charcoal back out. Use them as a sort of "excess oil catcher". But I'm lazy and decided it wasn't worth it.

Actually, another option is after oiling them to just blast them with my leaf blower, and then I wouldn't have to deal with taking the intake boxes out a second time.

*though, comically, with the charcoal filters still in.

Last edited by vafan13; 09-15-2020 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:12 AM   #7
Cylenterok
Private
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
I have AFE Dry Filters and charcoal delete. No problems so far. I love the sound and slight throttle response increase.
E70 X5M
E90 335i XDrive M Sport BMW Performance Edition
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
I've been curious about this, as my car came with K&Ns* and I pulled them due to the stories of MAF issues. How is one doing permanent damage to the sensors with just some filter oil? I can understand them functioning poorly when covered in it, but ruining them seems crazy. I've seen people mention the oil on the MAF then collecting dust/dirt whatever, but what dust/dirt/whatever is there after the filter, or is it collecting carbon/whatever that seeps back in after the engine is off?

Under the assumption that the main risk is over-oiling, I've also mulled over putting the charcoal filters back in after re-oiling the K&Ns, doing a few hard pulls to get it sucking a lot of air through, then pulling the charcoal back out. Use them as a sort of "excess oil catcher". But I'm lazy and decided it wasn't worth it.

Actually, another option is after oiling them to just blast them with my leaf blower, and then I wouldn't have to deal with taking the intake boxes out a second time.

*though, comically, with the charcoal filters still in.
It boils down to simple real world experiences any ANY platform engine that uses a MAF. They are very precise measuring devices. Even MAF cleaner is not guaranteed to work once you have a problem. Anything that is filmforming will potentially alter the readings from the MAF.

Regarding normal oil flow... the vapor coming out of the engine isn't being pulled through the sensor. It probably does play in role in why the sensors eventually need to be replaced though. On other BMW M engine platforms it's common to need to replace MAF's periodically for best performance. The sensor itself usually isn't degrading... it's getting contaminated. Most likely source for most of the contamination is oil vapor from the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:09 AM   #9
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
It boils down to simple real world experiences any ANY platform engine that uses a MAF. They are very precise measuring devices. Even MAF cleaner is not guaranteed to work once you have a problem. Anything that is filmforming will potentially alter the readings from the MAF.

Regarding normal oil flow... the vapor coming out of the engine isn't being pulled through the sensor. It probably does play in role in why the sensors eventually need to be replaced though. On other BMW M engine platforms it's common to need to replace MAF's periodically for best performance. The sensor itself usually isn't degrading... it's getting contaminated. Most likely source for most of the contamination is oil vapor from the engine.
Gotcha, although I'm always a bit skeptical of anecdotal evidence, especially where it's something that has good potential for user error. Doesn't mean it's not true, just really hard to know the true cause or how frequent of a problem it really is relative to how many cars with MAFs go trouble-free with an oiled filter.

As some anecdotal evidence on the other side: I've ran a K&N on my Cobra (which has a MAF) for 15 years with no noticeable impact on the MAF.

Last edited by vafan13; 09-17-2020 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 2