Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

2014 Competition Package M5 vs. 2014 M5 Base - layman's review

Hi All:

I had the chance over this past weekend to spend an extensive amount of time test driving 2 2014 M5's (street driving only). One with the competition package, and one without. It was the first time I've ever driven any flavor of M5, so I'm starting with a clean slate and no prior experiences to base my opinions on. I have no intentions of taking this vehicle to the track regularly, so that is my perspective as I was comparing these two vehicles. I wanted to share my thoughts and opinion in the hopes that it will help others who will use the M5 almost exclusively on the street decide if the package is worth it to them or not.

As best I’ve gathered, the competition package makes the following modifications:

- 15HP increase (no torque increase)
- springs and damping rate increased by 20%
- 15% stiffer anti-roll bars
- 10mm lower ride height
- Active M differential has a standalone control unit
- M Dynamic mode allows a greater angle of slip
- more direct steering
- revised exhaust which opens baffles making it slightly louder at cruise and louder generally during acceleration.
- specific 20" wheels
- black chrome tailpipes

Here's my opinions point by point after driving both cars with DSC on and all other settings set in the “middle” setting (usually “Sport”) except where noted below:

15HP increase (no torque increase)

You're never going to notice this increase in power anywhere other than a track, and even then, a 3% horsepower increase is just not significant for most people to notice.

Springs and damping rate increased by 20%

The standard M5 is already pretty damn aggressive and given how well the standard 2014 M5 drives, I doubt there are many (any) folks who after a non-comp 2014 M5 test drive are screaming "this car needs stiffer springs and damper rates!" At a track, you'd probably appreciate this, but I’m not going to be at a track most of the time. On the street, you won't appreciate this at all because you’ll have dialed out the firmness in most cases with the adjustable dampers. The standard ride and handling are PLENTY capable and I personally found in my own test drive that the adjustable dampers set to Comfort or Sport mitigate the changes the Competition Package provides. In Sport Plus / most aggressive settings across the board, the standard M5 was pretty bone-jarring - certainly confidence inspiring. The comp package incrementally more so, but again, only at a track would anyone even be in an environment where they would appreciate this delta.

15% stiffer anti-roll bars

- While the test drive included a good mix of canyon roads and freeway driving, again, the standard M5 (no comp package) was plenty capable and I couldn’t push the car on a test drive to the limits where this increased stiffness would be noticeable/appreciated. Both cars were 100% confidence-inspiring.

10mm lower ride height

Track enthusiasts will care about this a bit. People who think 1cm is noticeable in the looks department will care a bit. Most people couldn’t care less about a centimeter drop.

Active M differential has a standalone control unit

I saw this in the literature for the comp package. I’m sure it excites someone. This just goes back to BMW’s “base” M5 being plenty capable.

M Dynamic mode allows a greater angle of slip

Again, my test drive was nowhere close to hitting the limits of either car. This feature isn’t really relevant to me even if I did. I will certainly be able to live with “a bit less slip allowance” on the non-comp M5.

More direct steering

This was most noticeable change on the comp package-equipped M5. There is more road feel through the wheel in the comp package car. There’s also more “agility” in the steering overall. This is probably the one biggest benefit the comp package provides. The standard car has a bit less road feel and a bit less agility (and it is really just an incremental improvement - we are talking nuances here). That said, those who have not yet driven a 2014 but have driven a 2013 or older F10 M5 should test drive the 2014. I read a lot of the complaints in the 2013 and older reviews that the steering wasn’t as direct as it could/should be. I would not be surprised if BMW generally improved the steering in 2014 in the non-comp cars as well. The steering in the “base” 2014 M5 was very, very good. It was incrementally better in the comp-package M5.

Revised exhaust which opens baffles making it slightly louder at cruise and louder generally during acceleration.

I’ll say this… If you want a generally louder exhaust, get a new exhaust aftermarket. The comp package cost is far too much for what to me was one of the two tangible benefits you’ll experience in day to day driving. The comp package car had a generally louder exhaust note and droned a bit more at cruise, so it’s definitely something you’ll want to spend quite a bit of time test driving to be sure you’re going to be OK not just with the sound at acceleration (which is fantastic), but also with hearing your exhaust system drone a bit more at cruise - ALL the time. That started to wear on me a bit to the point where when I drove the non-comp M5, I was quite happy that the standard exhaust note at cruise was a bit less obtrusive.

Specific 20" wheels

Personal taste. The comp package wheels do look better in person. In photos, not so much. The 343M wheels are a no-cost option on the comp package and I would definitely check that box. Those 343 wheels are gorgeous. Keep in mind the 343 wheels are a $1300 option on the non-comp car so the effective comp package cost is $6,000 if you were going to opt for 20” wheels anyway.

Black chrome tailpipes

Cosmetic.

————

To sum it up, as someone who is rarely going to experience the track/at-limit benefit the competition package provides, here is how much of the package I’ll never appreciate most of the time (and it may detract in some cases):

- 15HP increase (won’t notice)
- springs and damping rate increased by 20% (not something you'd notice on the street day to day and may be a net negative if you feel this makes the car’s ride too harsh)
- 15% stiffer anti-roll bars (ditto although may be a net positive in day to day driving)
- 1cm lower ride height (not noticeable)
- Active M differential has a standalone control unit (couldn’t “feel” any difference on the street)
- M Dynamic mode allows a greater angle of slip (limits not reached)
- specific 20" wheels (I think the other standard and optional wheels look better)
- black chrome tailpipes (cosmetic - either the bright chrome or black chrome look great)

That leaves 2 remaining daily tangible benefits for $6,000 (assuming you’d opt for 20” wheels regardless, otherwise $7,300):

- revised exhaust which opens baffles making it slightly louder at cruise and louder generally during acceleration.
- more direct steering

Is the competition package worth it to a driver that may rarely if ever take the M5 to the track? No. At the end of the day, the standard M5 is a fabulous baseline of performance. I want to use this car as a daily driver and maybe, someday, take it out for a spin or two on the track. This package is putting even more icing on a cake that really doesn’t need it.

Is the competition package worth it if your M5 is seeing a good amount of track time? Up to you, but I would suggest that you spend the money on the ceramic brakes instead. If money isn’t a concern, just be sure that the 90% of the time you will be on the street and not on the track that you’ll be OK with stiffer, firmer and louder all the time vs. a baseline that’s already plenty stiff, plenty firm and slightly less loud.

Last edited by TonySCV; 12-19-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 3
      12-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

A very well written and well expressed write up.

I agree with all points. Like I have posted before, the Comp Pack is worth it if you intend on tracking the car more than 2 times a year, if not then it's all up to personal taste. If you really want the M601's, a lower ride height from the factory and more direct steering for every day use on the street, then the Comp Pack may be worth it to you as well. The funny part is that if the Comp Pack was available when the 2013's came out in the States, I would have gotten it. To each their own in the end.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

As someone who is looking at getting an M5 with the same intent of street use only I really appreciate this thread. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Underwood
BMW > Audi+ Merc. Simple math.
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 14' Wrangler

I drive a comp package, and I can honestly say that the exhaust is far from anything too noisy at crusing speed. Hell, my 120d give off more sound from engine and tires at cruising speed. The only time when the exhaust is very loud is when you are over 5000rpm going about, or downshifts at over 4000rpm. Other than that, it's pretty mellow.

I agree with the steering. I have not driven the standard M5, but damn the steering is nice in the M5 CP. Reminds me of the 1M, but with a bit more resistance when in Sport Plus mode. I love how they sorted out the road feel and such, despite the modern tech.

The damping is just perfect in my mind. A bit too stiff for a family car maybe, when in comfort. You really feel everything bigger than a pebble. But hey, you just got yourself an M5 - get over it. It's supposed to be communicative with the driver. Also, i think the car gains plenty from having stiffer anti roll bars. I believe it offers great control of the body weight of the car, and it feels as firm as the 1M. I like that. However, the standard one could perhaps offer the same experience, without CP.

The wheels are very good looking in person. MUCH better than the standard ones, and that's a scientific fact. They are also much lighter, since they are forged (and made in Italy). Combine that with the carbon ceramic brakes, and you have a winner in both performance and looks.

Engine wise, the power gain is very small. I would agree it's probably not very noticeable. If you need power, get an aftermarket tune or something to really boost the power. Don't forged wider tires though, if you do.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Excellent review and captures exactly my perspective on the M5CP when I drove it back in August. I decided not to buy it for same reason as you. $6k is too much to pay for better steering and worse suspension. Exhaust was worthless to me since I'm an Eisenmann man.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Another thing steering me to the base and not the comp pack is the wheels. I don't care for the comp wheels and the 20" 343M wheels are fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten
Another thing steering me to the base and not the comp pack is the wheels. I don't care for the comp wheels and the 20" 343M wheels are fantastic.
You can get the 343 as a no charge substitution with the comp pack . And the power band shift upwards , is very noticeable if you drive the car hard . Same for the differences in the suspension . The only thing you can discern on a gentle test drive is the steering feel . Having driven a standard M6 on the Autobahn then my CP M6 here the differences are substantial and very much worth it . Oh and numbers don't lie ( attained not using launch control , 0 slope ) .My two cents !
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
This has been by far, one of the most helpful threads I've seen on this board. Thank you TonySCV. You answered a lot of lingering questions for me in this searching/buying process.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

I agree, for me nothing beats the beautiful 20" wheels on the base car.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
You can get the 343 as a no charge substitution with the comp pack . And the power band shift upwards , is very noticeable if you drive the car hard . Same for the differences in the suspension . The only thing you can discern on a gentle test drive is the steering feel . Having driven a standard M6 on the Autobahn then my CP M6 here the differences are substantial and very much worth it . Oh and numbers don't lie ( attained not using launch control , 0 slope ) .My two cents !
George
What device or app are you using to time this?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #11
MCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

appreciate the write up
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #12
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
George
What device or app are you using to time this?
V box sport 20hz .
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

A very well written review and I mush agree with you Tony, I drew the same conclusions and thought (to me anyway) not worth the extra, I have added the CYBA Black Tips 90mm and Opened the Valves giving the same sound, which was enough for me. The STD Car as you say for road use is adequate.
      12-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-emm View Post

The wheels are very good looking in person. MUCH better than the standard ones, and that's a scientific fact. They are also much lighter, since they are forged (and made in Italy). boost the power.
No they are not sorry they are CAST ask BMW.
      12-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Funny that this post makes me want the CP more than before.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Nice write up. Im sure this will help out a lot of individuals.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Very nice write up! I sampled the comp pack M5 and liked it. It made everything seem sharper and tighter. The compromise in ride quality was what caught me by surprise. Agree that the most worth while item in the comp pack is the new steering rack. I would have it retrofitted on my pre-lci car in a heart beat if it's available. I will certainly be hounding the parts guy on this...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
Funny that this post makes me want the CP more than before.
Good to hear . I was hoping to write this in such a way where it would help people interested in the package make a decision they felt good about based on their driving plans.

Thanks everyone for the kind words on the write-up. Glad you appreciated it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I agree with the other posts. Great write-up.

I have a MY13 M5 and am very disappointed with the steering, especially compared to the MY14 comp package car that I briefly drove. It seems that BMW improved the steering on the base M5 (maybe at the end of the MY13 run?) and notched it up more on the MY14 comp package car. My guess is that those of us with earlier-build MY13 cars will realize the biggest difference when comparing to the MY14 comp package cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
I agree with the other posts. Great write-up.

I have a MY13 M5 and am very disappointed with the steering, especially compared to the MY14 comp package car that I briefly drove. It seems that BMW improved the steering on the base M5 (maybe at the end of the MY13 run?) and notched it up more on the MY14 comp package car. My guess is that those of us with earlier-build MY13 cars will realize the biggest difference when comparing to the MY14 comp package cars.
BMW seem to mess with the steering feel on their cars a lot. In my past 2 E46 3-series, the steering feel was improved during LCI amid criticism. They seem to do this with every generation. Either that or that they simply don't have enough time to fine tune the cars before launch.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #21
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar
Very nice write up! I sampled the comp pack M5 and liked it. It made everything seem sharper and tighter. The compromise in ride quality was what caught me by surprise. Agree that the most worth while item in the comp pack is the new steering rack. I would have it retrofitted on my pre-lci car in a heart beat if it's available. I will certainly be hounding the parts guy on this...
Totally agree I drove both before I bought the comp pack and the difference in ride and handling is very noticeable.

It's one of those options that when your spending $100k. Not sure $7k is really worth skimping on?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #22
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

I read this review so many times and I love it because it calms me down as I want the CP so bad - LOL
Appreciate 0