11-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
LOL

It's also quite mesmerizing to see the steel torn like paper isn't it?
I've always thought that cars were solid, that the metal was impermeable. Somehow I've always been deluded. Every time I see a wrecked car, it seems so unreal that the metal is simply torn up...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
LOL

It's also quite mesmerizing to see the steel torn like paper isn't it?
I've always thought that cars were solid, that the metal was impermeable. Somehow I've always been deluded. Every time I see a wrecked car, it seems so unreal that the metal is simply torn up...
Everything on the car is designed to absorb impact, and as much of it as possible.
      11-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Everything on the car is designed to absorb impact, and as much of it as possible.
and headlights have clips behind them, which break in case of front collision and lights stay "alive", so bmw minimises your costs from 1000+ per each headlight to 5-10-20$ to replace clips
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I know.

It;s just that the cars I've envisioned as solid can be ripped apart is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag
Quote:
I know.

It;s just that the cars I've envisioned as solid can be ripped apart is amazing.
I was in a bad accident in my E60 M5. It was M5 vs tractor trailer.

The car saved my life. I was able to make a hard right before going under the trailer which was horizontally across the road.

Anyways, the door handles flew off, mirrors fell off, and the front windshield rolled up like as if you rolled a piece of computer paper. The A pillar as basically cut in half.

So these are very strong cars. It might not look like it after an accident, but everything you see that's destroyed, was built to be destroyed like that. It's energy spent wrecking the car parts rather than energy going to the driver and or occupants.
      11-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:

The car saved my life. I was able to make a hard right before going under the trailer which was horizontally across the road.

Anyways, the door handles flew off, mirrors fell off, and the front windshield rolled up like as if you rolled a piece of computer paper. The A pillar as basically cut in half.

So these are very strong cars. It might not look like it after an accident, but everything you see that's destroyed, was built to be destroyed like that. It's energy spent wrecking the car parts rather than energy going to the driver and or occupants.
Wow, that's not good. The A pillar forms part of the passenger cell which is designed to remain intact around the deformable/energy absorbing sections. Yes our cars perform well in crash tests, however, with impact forces high enough to cut the A pillar in half, it was more than the car that saved you.

I worked a couple of years as a road accident analyst a fair few years ago and dealt with cases of those not so fortunate. It's easy for all of us to feel somewhat invincible when driving, the reality being somewhat different.

Anyway, most important thing is that you survived.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #29
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
and headlights have clips behind them, which break in case of front collision and lights stay "alive", so bmw minimises your costs from 1000+ per each headlight to 5-10-20$ to replace clips
Also pedestrian protection system seems to have triggered.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #30
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:

Do you have any pictures? I would be very interested to see how the car ended up in a collision like this.

Was this the one before the frozen grey one?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #31
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:

Do you have any pictures? I would be very interested to see how the car ended up in a collision like this.

Was this the one before the frozen grey one?
This was my black M5 in 2008.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...r-trailer.html

You can see a line from the a pillar to the d/s window. That's the bottom edge of a box trailer.
      11-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #32
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
This was my black M5 in 2008.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...r-trailer.html

You can see a line from the a pillar to the d/s window. That's the bottom edge of a box trailer.
It actually looks like the internal structure of the A pillar survived and kept the passenger cell intact. A weaker pillar would have allowed the trailer frame to slice right through sending the car under the trailer. Yes it saved your life.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:25 AM   #33
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Overheard yesterday the guy will have to pay 5% of the damage, feel real sorry for the guy. Car is owned by BMW manager in Munich (the only M5 competition they could arrange for the test drive).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #34
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Overheard yesterday the guy will have to pay 5% of the damage, feel real sorry for the guy. Car is owned by BMW manager in Munich (the only M5 competition they could arrange for the test drive).
Apologies in advance if this is deemed a little harsh, however, I cannot understand why you would feel sorry for someone that, it would seem (obviously accept that we don't know the full details here, although if the 5% is true, it does imply some blame), is the root cause in damaging another's property that was taken on trust.

If we fail to read the small print before signing on the line, then we've only got ourselves to blame.

Last edited by Dionysus; 11-13-2013 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #35
saflang
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
I hope you meant to say at least 50% !!!

If it were only 5% I'd be begging Munich to lend me a car so that I could learn how to take it to the limits (and past a few times).
      11-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #36
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saflang View Post
I hope you meant to say at least 50% !!!

If it were only 5% I'd be begging Munich to lend me a car so that I could learn how to take it to the limits (and past a few times).
Working out the maths, 5% is a very small price to pay for the damage that is shown….I'll take those odds!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #37
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That 5% is probably an insurance ded. or something like that.

Just a guess though.
      11-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #38
AttyGunther
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 M5~11 Z435is~14 K1600GTL-E

I would hate to see what that is going to cost to repair. The final estimate on my deer hit just came in (pictures here: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ht=Deer&page=2 )... A tad over $15,100. And that's just cosmetic, nothing structural. The hood will not be replaced, so that's saving some bucks (no pun intended). Apparently the minor dent came out just fine without disturbing the underside.

And no LCI grilles to be found yet!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 05:39 AM   #39
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
This is what i know:

- car was sent for a test drive to Austria, Vienna

- it belongs to BMW Munich

- test driver already owns an M5 which is why BMW made extra effort so that he can test have a test drive

- not sure how much he will have to pay, probably only a little sum

- driver is fine physically but under shock of what happened
I found (not officially) out that the guy did not pay the insurance waiver (15 euro) so he would have to pay about 75k in damages. Its an old post, was just reminded by bimmerpost app.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #40
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
This is what i know:

- car was sent for a test drive to Austria, Vienna

- it belongs to BMW Munich

- test driver already owns an M5 which is why BMW made extra effort so that he can test have a test drive

- not sure how much he will have to pay, probably only a little sum

- driver is fine physically but under shock of what happened
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:08 AM   #41
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750xi ///M Performance

Quote:

I mean, when you are spending 5x more than a new Toyota, you should assume you are getting some kind of superior crash safety equipment. The frame alone might cost $20k. Depreciation doesn't count as it's the cost of initial production is what matters. Houses appreciate but the quality of the materials go down. Cars drop like 4x their value after a few years but some components, like the power is still at least 97% there given the vehicle was well maintained. I spent so much time trying to retrofit and modify vehicles to get some power that used vehicles already have. You might as well just buy used with the option.

Last edited by AntDX316; 03-09-2017 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #42
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
...send the wheels my way!
      03-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #43
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I had a similar accident last year. Someone took my right of way and I hit the other car in the side with less than 20 mph. Damage was 20k€. So doesn't have to be careless driving to get this result.
      03-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #44
F10M5SoccerDad
Private
Rep
Drives: AW F10 M5

wow that rough. Now let's part that baby out! hahaha
Appreciate 0