Drift Instructor @ BMW Club UAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
Well, I don't believe all failures are customer faults. There could be manufacturing defects. I hear so many times when things break, 'what did you do??'. Remember, the F10 M5/M6 did have a TSB for the oil pump.

I used to blast my E39 M5 around and I had it for a long time (135K miles). Did all the maintenence and submitted oil samples regularly. I drive this M5 much less aggressively and I need a new engine. Go figure. To answer your question, the dealer just said there were metal shavings in the oil and filter. The assumption was "failed rod bearings" in the notes. I was allowed browse through the findings that was submitted to BMW and nothing stood out as to what definitively caused this.
Well, maybe not all the cases are drivers' fault but it sure is +90%

Regarding your E39, what caused the "Rod Bearing Failure" ?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #68
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFiK - BMWClubUAE View Post
Well, maybe not all the cases are drivers' fault but it sure is +90%

Regarding your E39, what caused the "Rod Bearing Failure" ?
No rod bearing failure in the E39. It was in a wreck, so it had to go. 😔

I miss that car. It was better than my F10.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #69
bmwdinan5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dinan5

Most people miss their e39. Me too
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 10:16 PM   #70
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Well yeah, I miss my 390 whp 6MT E92 M3 but everything's different. You cannot just say the F10 is worse than the E39/E46/E92. Each car is fighting it's own battle in it's own era. Technology changes, and we all have to cope with it and adapt with it.

I never thought I'd have a 600+ hp car as a daily. Back in the day this used to be fiction, but now it's the norm.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 12:41 AM   #71
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well yeah, I miss my 390 whp 6MT E92 M3 but everything's different. You cannot just say the F10 is worse than the E39/E46/E92. Each car is fighting it's own battle in it's own era. Technology changes, and we all have to cope with it and adapt with it.

I never thought I'd have a 600+ hp car as a daily. Back in the day this used to be fiction, but now it's the norm.
True. But for me it was never about technology or even horsepower. Both cars had plenty power for the road (mods withstanding). My E39 M5 had a certain soul, exhaust rumble, and character about it. It felt more like an modern fit suit, which is ironic as it's the older car. Also, I wouldn't say the F10 is "worse", more like the E39 was a bit better. It doesn't make sense when you say it, but that's the best I can describe it as.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:54 AM   #72
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

I have a few cars and each I appreciate as much as each other despite different power outputs

To me a car isnt just about power but the whole experience which also includes things such as what was relevant at the time
Eg s85 motor and it being the only engine for the e60 and no other, or ostrich leather in the e39 or the power output it had at the time

I can say though i wont be replacing my f10 with any newer bmw
The wife will upgrade to an x5m f15 but for me it i May consider an e39 or e90 m car but thats it
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #73
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Been 'snooping' around the engine oils again at Costco's on a grocery shopping outing and interestingly discovered that the 5W30 LL version offered by Castrol is not recommended for BMW,just the 0W30.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #74
bmwdinan5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dinan5

Yep that’s correct. I use Castro EDGE 0w30 in my wife’s N55 (x5). Her ‘12 has clocked over 200k miles with a Dinan tune using that oil. Great oil, but not easy to find.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #75
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdinan5 View Post
Yep that’s correct. I use Castro EDGE 0w30 in my wife’s N55 (x5). Her ‘12 has clocked over 200k miles with a Dinan tune using that oil. Great oil, but not easy to find.
Best oil I've used and there's barrels of the stuff here.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 04:40 AM   #76
moejoe
United_States
Rep
Drives: Singapore Gray F90 M5

Quote:
If your engine sounds like this...

Then it's probably a rod bearings failure.

Driving home one night and this sound got louder and louder. My car is a CPO with 70K+ miles. Fortunately the engine replacement was covered under warranty after BMW approval. Out of warranty BMW will charge you almost $50K to repair your car (full engine replacement)!

Car is running great now. Feels even more responsive than before.
My 2013 M5 started making this noise and towing to BMW tomorrow to take a look. I do have a drive train warranty. How long did it take them to replace the engine or fix the issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #77
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moejoe View Post
My 2013 M5 started making this noise and towing to BMW tomorrow to take a look. I do have a drive train warranty. How long did it take them to replace the engine or fix the issue?
If yours does indeed sound like that clip, then you're engine probably is toast. Please keep us posted and maybe start your own thread when you get some updates.

As a side note, if your engine wasn't covered by warranty, there are less expensive options other than the dealer even if you wanted to pay for a new short block.
Appreciate 1
moejoe7.50
      03-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #78
moejoe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
If yours does indeed sound like that clip, then you're engine probably is toast. Please keep us posted and maybe start your own thread when you get some updates.

As a side note, if your engine wasn't covered by warranty, there are less expensive options other than the dealer even if you wanted to pay for a new short block.
Got a message from them today that Engine is toasted. so definetly need a new motor. Can you pm me or reply here what are the other options if the third party won't cover but bmw said out of pocket it will be almost 40K. the car is not even worth that as it has 106K miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #79
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Got a message from them today that Engine is toasted. so definetly need a new motor. Can you pm me or reply here what are the other options if the third party won't cover but bmw said out of pocket it will be almost 40K. the car is not even worth that as it has 106K miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to hear that!

Why did you engine fail if I may ask?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 06:56 AM   #80
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
If you're going to be out of pocket, take the car to a trustworthy indy shop. Their labor rate should be a little better but more importantly a good shop will only charge you for the hours they think it will actually take, not book time. I'd try to work with your dealer to get them to discount the cost of the new parts as much as possible, then have them shipped to the indy.

Since your engine didn't put a hole in the block (throw a rod), that engine should be a good core for a rebuilder. There are several on this forum but the one that comes to mind first is RK autowerks from Texas. He does a lot of built engines but I'm sure he can do or may even have a stock rebuild on hand.

I'm a computer moron so I don't know how to tag members, but I know Raza (RK) is on this board. Hopefully he will see your posts.
Appreciate 1
moejoe7.50
      03-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #81
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yikes. Sorry to hear about another failed engine. I hope to get another 80K out of my replaced engine.

Carnbahn is reputable and they rebuild for more than half the price of the dealer.

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product/stage-1-s63-high-performance-engine-f10-m5-f12-f13-f06-m6
Appreciate 1
moejoe7.50
      03-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #82
moejoe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that!

Why did you engine fail if I may ask?
The dealership did not give me much information, all they said was technician and foreman said the engine needs to be replaced. The engine sound was really bad and I only had this M5 for few months
Luckily i did buy the third party warranty as when i bought it it had 100K miles. and dealer told me that they will send their guy for inspection. I am hoping for the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #83
moejoe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yikes. Sorry to hear about another failed engine. I hope to get another 80K out of my replaced engine.

Carnbahn is reputable and they rebuild for more than half the price of the dealer.

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...f12-f13-f06-m6
Thanks for the info, I will wait and see what the warranty guys will do as the engine is covered. I am just hoping that they do not play a card where they say it is not our fault. My commute to work is like 5 miles. I bought this in Dec and did not really played with the car much. just cruising most of the time. Well sometimes you just hit the jackpot. Hoping that warranty will take care of it and only pay deductible. Thanks everyone who replied and for all the help.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:41 AM   #84
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Quote:

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...f12-f13-f06-m6
Thanks for the info, I will wait and see what the warranty guys will do as the engine is covered. I am just hoping that they do not play a card where they say it is not our fault. My commute to work is like 5 miles. I bought this in Dec and did not really played with the car much. just cruising most of the time. Well sometimes you just hit the jackpot. Hoping that warranty will take care of it and only pay deductible. Thanks everyone who replied and for all the help.
Damn brother sorry to hear this. Was this car sold by bmw dealer in Cali with 100k miles? How many miles you put?

Did you have service records from before? That's so disappointing and frustrating to see. Keeping my fingers crossed everything goes well.

What warranty is it ?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:22 AM   #85
moejoe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
Damn brother sorry to hear this. Was this car sold by bmw dealer in Cali with 100k miles? How many miles you put?

Did you have service records from before? That's so disappointing and frustrating to see. Keeping my fingers crossed everything goes well.

What warranty is it ?
Yes i bought it on Dec 26th 2018. had it for few months. I have fidelity powertrain warranty which covers the engine and transmission. I did buy this from BMW dealer and since BMW do not provide warranty , bought the third party Fidelity Warranty services (24K or two years) Powertrain Coverage as it has already 104 some K mile when i bought it. I only drove like 1K and this happened to me.

The new update is, the dealer called me today that Warranty folks asking to open the oil pan to see exactly what is the issue. So i gave dealer the authorization and let's see what's next. Hopefully they will be able to cover all the repair or replacement cost. I read mixed reviews for Fidelity warranty some are good and most of them are terrible. I am hoping for the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #86
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Yes i bought it on Dec 26th 2018. had it for few months. I have fidelity drive train warranty which covers the engine and transmission. I did buy this from BMW dealer and since BMW do not provide warranty , bought the third party Fidelity Warranty services (24K or two years) Powertrain Coverage as it has already 104 some K mile when i bought it. I only drove like 1K and this happened to me.

The new update is, the dealer called me today that Warranty folks asking to open the oil pan to see exactly what is the issue. So i gave dealer the authorization and let's see what's next. Hopefully they will be able to cover all the repair or replacement cost. I read mixed reviews for Fidelity warranty some are good and most of them are terrible. I am hoping for the best.
you should be ok thats a good company

how much did you pay for the warranty ?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #87
moejoe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
Quote:
Yes i bought it on Dec 26th 2018. had it for few months. I have fidelity drive train warranty which covers the engine and transmission. I did buy this from BMW dealer and since BMW do not provide warranty , bought the third party Fidelity Warranty services (24K or two years) Powertrain Coverage as it has already 104 some K mile when i bought it. I only drove like 1K and this happened to me.

you should be ok thats a good company

how much did you pay for the warranty ?
I only bought the powertrain 24K / 2 years for 6K some dollars, seems high but i was so excited to get the car that day so didn't really care. I hope Fidelity will come through on this and will put a really good review for them for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:33 AM   #88
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I only bought the powertrain 24K / 2 years for 6K some dollars, seems high but i was so excited to get the car that day so didn't really care. I hope Fidelity will come through on this and will put a really good review for them for sure.
If they cover a new engine, the warranty was worth every penny and then some!

As a side note, $6k doesn't seem too high for a car that had high miles on it.
Appreciate 1
moejoe7.50