BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-23-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
iknowspurgeon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Alternator issue

Over the last few months, i have been experiencing issues with my dash cluster blinking off and on randomly. Every now and the car would almost hesitate under acceleration. When i took it to the dealership a few months ago, they updated the software since it hasn't been done since it left the factory. For a minute the car didn't do for several weeks. All of a sudden on Monday, it started doing it again. This time worse. So i pulled over, got my phone out and started recording. Each time i pressed on pedal, the lights started to flicker and all kinds of warning lights popped on. Right then and there i knew it was something serious electrically. I took my car to dealer and found out later that an alternator check was reading voltage in the 16 to 17v range. This high voltage was throwing the sensors into a fit.

Long story short, a new alternator is needed. THANK GOD FOR THE 3RD PARTY EXTENDED WARRANTY.
Appreciate 0