M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #23
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Owning an M5 without a warranty when you are worrying about affordability is not a great start. The M5 has more problems than your typical car and the problems can be very expensive. I would say without a warranty, absolutely not if cost is your main concern.

I've owned my M5 since April. Since then, I've had one bank of injectors fail which was covered by BMW with an extended 10yr/100k warranty specific to the injector issue. Then I had a bad coil and that had to be replaced covered by a 4yr/48k warranty I bought for $3800. I also had a front arm bushing fail. It's an expensive car to maintain, tread carefully. By the way, my car only has 46k miles.
      10-14-2018, 02:38 AM   #24
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperF10 View Post
Owning an M5 without a warranty when you are worrying about affordability is not a great start. The M5 has more problems than your typical car and the problems can be very expensive. I would say without a warranty, absolutely not if cost is your main concern.

I've owned my M5 since April. Since then, I've had one bank of injectors fail which was covered by BMW with an extended 10yr/100k warranty specific to the injector issue. Then I had a bad coil and that had to be replaced covered by a 4yr/48k warranty I bought for $3800. I also had a front arm bushing fail. It's an expensive car to maintain, tread carefully. By the way, my car only has 46k miles.
yes, a warranty is a must. Agreed. Thanks for the info on your experience.
      10-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #25
Mkai0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperF10 View Post

^He speaks the truth. I’ve had at least $16,000 of warranty repairs on my car since 2016. My car only has 39k on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #26
Ashley Schaifer BMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkai0 View Post
^He speaks the truth. I’ve had at least $16,000 of warranty repairs on my car since 2016. My car only has 39k on it.
For my own edification, what repairs did you have that cost $16,000?

I'm in a similar situation, trying to justify a 3rd party warranty, however, something would have to be catastrophic for a $4k+ warranty to be justified with my simple math and looking at part costs. For instance, SuperF10 cited four (4) injectors needing replacing, a coil pack, and bushings. All of this, from a parts perspective, just don't justify a need for a warranty (i.e., you'd have a net loss for what the warranty cost and what the warranty covered if no more problems arose). Albeit, this is assuming you are not paying dealer prices.

I think the biggest killer is labor. Again, this is where the dealerships make a ton of money. However, it appears these engines are pretty straightforward to work on if you're in to that kind of thing, which can save a ton.

Plus, if something like the DCT fails--i'd rather fix the problem with a more robust clutch pack--something a warranty will not do.

I'd say the biggest thing that would keep me up at night are electrical issues, which do become costly, however, many 3rd party warranties exclude electrical problems to a degree.

These are my thoughts, if I'm off base--I apologize and mean no disrespect. Any car troubles are always a pain to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #27
Mkai0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 586rwhp300zx View Post

I'm in a similar situation, trying to justify a 3rd party warranty, however, something would have to be catastrophic for a $4k+ warranty to be justified with my simple math and looking at part costs. For instance, SuperF10 cited four (4) injectors needing replacing, a coil pack, and bushings. All of this, from a parts perspective, just don't justify a need for a warranty (i.e., you'd have a net loss for what the warranty cost and what the warranty covered if no more problems arose). Albeit, this is assuming you are not paying dealer prices.

I think the biggest killer is labor. Again, this is where the dealerships make a ton of money. However, it appears these engines are pretty straightforward to work on if you're in to that kind of thing, which can save a ton.

Plus, if something like the DCT fails--i'd rather fix the problem with a more robust clutch pack--something a warranty will not do.

I'd say the biggest thing that would keep me up at night are electrical issues, which do become costly, however, many 3rd party warranties exclude electrical problems to a degree.

These are my thoughts, if I'm off base--I apologize and mean no disrespect. Any car troubles are always a pain to deal with.
My clutch pack failed within one week of owning my BMW CPO car at 19k miles; rear differential was also replaced; AC Condenser went out twice; rear differential had leaking issues; and all injectors were recently replaced.-all replaced under warranty. Though I treat my cars very well, I believe the previous owner didn’t do the same.

I’m pretty handy working on most cars, but there are some things on this platform that can become very complicated.

By now I would think the car should be rock solid because some of the parts were revised/upgraded pieces. However, one bad day for this car out of warranty, can mean a good down payment on something more reliable.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #28
finlandm5f10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10&Audi RS6 C7 2016

My frends dad have 2012 m5f10 280k km driven. Not issues. Perfect condition. Do dot be afreid of miles/km just figure out history👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #29
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Schaifer BMW View Post

The injectors were covered by a BMW TSB extended warranty specific to injectors because they are super prone to failure. But if you're saying that it doesn't justify a warranty think of it this way. I purchased the car 04/18, by 10/18 I already had over $2k worth of warranty work done by the dealer (excluding injectors) all for the price of $100. This warranty covers me until 04/22. I'm pretty sure that the cost will be justified by that time.

I have owned several BMWs and I would never own one without a warranty. My wife's old BMW (2008 535i) had all kinds of problems and I paid around $3k for that extended warranty and there was over $9k worth of warranty work done on it. The car ended up totaled and we got a refund pro-rated for the remaining warranty. It's all a game of risk and I would not put any money down on a BMW not breaking down, it's just in the DNA. Especially a BMW like ours. It's a high performance engine in a car brand that is known for catastrophic failure lol.
      11-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #30
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep

For closure, I bought a 2013 F10 M5 with 68,000 miles. Singapore Gray over Sakhir. Executive, Driver Assist, B&O. New PSS's. $34k.

It's exactly what I was looking for, and I just happened to get lucky with an eBay sale when the winning bidder never showed.

Photos to come when it makes the trip to AZ from PA in a couple weeks.

Thanks to all for the advice above. It was very helpful.
      11-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #31
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohen15 View Post
For closure, I bought a 2013 F10 M5 with 68,000 miles. Singapore Gray over Sakhir. Executive, Driver Assist, B&O. New PSS's. $34k.

It's exactly what I was looking for, and I just happened to get lucky with an eBay sale when the winning bidder never showed.

Photos to come when it makes the trip to AZ from PA in a couple weeks.

Thanks to all for the advice above. It was very helpful.
Congrats! Looking forward to the thread! Any maintenance history?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #32
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Congrats! Looking forward to the thread! Any maintenance history?
Yes. I have full history plus it was the personal car of the owner of a small, specialty dealer. He sold the car with a 90-day powertrain warranty.
      11-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #33
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERFM3 View Post
I migrated to the F10 M5 platform but kept my E92 as its all sorted to perfection. I would highly recommend getting a car with history, miles actually help these M cars stay in shape if you ask me. These cars don't seem to have the same grenades on E9x Ms. I bough my car from local BMW dealer and was able to negotiate a great deal with extended warranty. Car has 70K miles and its a simply amazing.

PS. NEVER BUY A GERMAN CAR WITHOUT EXT. WARRANTY. My E92 cost the warranty company well over its sticker price of $72K in repairs.

GL and keep us posted.
I'm sorry, but did I read that correctly? How is it even possible to get $72k worth of warranty repairs on an E92 M3?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 05:26 AM   #34
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
Drift Instructor @ BMW Club UAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Bro, S63tu without warranty is a No No.. specially if you're new to this platform.

Regardless of the history and regardless of the previous driver's behavior these cars will require attention.

I bought mine with 69,000 km on the speedo (about 43,000 miles) back in July. The car has warranty till Feb/19 or 100,000 km (62,000 miles).

The car - as per the dealership - had no major issues and was being serviced always at the right intervals. From my experience to Ms (I've owned 3 so far), you have to rape these cars to get all the faults out of their systems and service them to become bullet proof.

I immediately went hard on the F10 and within couple of weeks, the car threw in couple of faults and went into limp mode. I got the car to the dealer, and they've replaced the following in 40 days time (They gave me a loaner car - F30 330i)...
- Spark Plugs
- Ignition Coils
- Injectors
- Front Brake Pads
- Front Brake Discs
- Rear Brake Pads
- Rear Brake Discs
- Differential Bushings & Support Frame
- Differential Bracket (New upgraded part)
- Front Windshield Rubber Molding
- Parking Brake Button
- Throttle Body cleaning
- Engine Valve Seals
- Engine Head Gasket
- Engine Water Pump
- Driver Door Inner Trim
- Front Bumper Cameras

All of these were covered by warranty, and the cost for all of this was in excess of 15,000 USD$.

Long story short, make sure you have warranty for at least few months to replace most of the parts to get your car in a good shape.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #35
vanilla.j_
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Singapore Gray/Venetia Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I've got I think the most miles of anyone. my yr13 from brand new has approx 125k miles. wont get rid of it either. its still as fun as the first day I bought it.
This is comforting 🙂
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #36
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Mine has 105000km on it
I got a really good deal and still had 1 yr warranty on it
Warranty expired a few months ago and my ecu stopped outputting signal to valvetronic resulting in really rough running motor after changing coils as preventive maintenance
The ecus had to be moved during maintenance and somehow it musnt have liked it or coincidence
It cost me about $5000usd to fix and diagnose
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #37
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Similar situation here, guys. I have a well sorted e90 M3 garage queen (RB's done, Akrapovic, slick top, manual) and I'm looking to add an F10 M5 to the stable (stable includes my wife's 2013 X5 and a 2014 Toyota Prius for commuting/beater/dog/etc. duties).

I have an opportunity to buy a 2013 M5 from the local BMW dealer. They're asking 28,9 w/ 108k miles on the clock. It's a 1 owner car (leased once, then re-leased by the same guy) 60 year old man that commuted nearly 3 hours daily.

My thought is that yes, it's high miles, but the car is immaculate. I'm very OCD about my cars and the mileage may well prove to be too much for my OCD but condition-wise, it looks like a 30k mile car. I'm assuming the owner wasn't a big guy or maybe he had the seats/steering wheel replaced at some point because the wear is minimal. I certainly don't want a money pit, but I'm clearly not worried about routine BMW maintenance. If I were to make an offer, I'd come in low at $25k or so because I just don't think they'll be able to sell it and with 108k miles on it, auction value is likely less than that. I know it's high miles but man, it just seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Am I crazy here? I'm thinking that since this is a double lease vehicle, all the "gotchas" have been addressed. turbo lines, etc. obviously, I'd get a complete history but what do you guys think?
      12-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #38
Smurfzilla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

As long as you go into it armed with the knowledge a) some of the most common fault lines of the car, b) some money set aside for intangibles that may come up, c) if possible at a minimum a 3rd party warranty, d) pray you got a good one.

Seems like some on here have nothing but problems and some have NO issues. If you do your own work (especially for the non mechanical related issues) you can save a ton of cash. I can't count how many times i have dodged a 1k-3k repair by googling it, finding the part online and doing it myself.

I dont mess with motors but everything else (brakes, electrical, etc) is fair game.

I'm giving advice from just a general BMW ownership standpoint (and common sense). I dont have have one of these bad boys yet but but I'm looking to score one soon.

Last edited by Smurfzilla; 12-06-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      12-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #39
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfzilla View Post
As long as you go into it armed with the knowledge a) some of the most common fault lines of the car, b) some money set aside for intangibles that may come up, c) if possible at a minimum a 3rd party warranty, d) pray you got a good one.

Seems like some on here have nothing but problems and some have NO issues. If you do your own work (especially for the non mechanical related issues) you can save a ton of cash. I can count how many times i have doded a 1k-3k repair by googling it, finding the part online and doing it myself.

I dont mess with motors but everything else (brakes, electrical, etc) is fair game.

I'm giving advice from just a general BMW ownership standpoint (and common sense). I dont have have one of these bad boys yet but but I'm looking to score one soon.
Appreciate the feedback, Smurfzilla. This is the same approach I've taken w/ E90 M3 ownership, although an F10 M5 seems like a "whole 'nother playing field". FYI - I'm in Raleigh too, the M5 I was looking at is at Leith in Raleigh. Talk to Ales, he's a good dude.
      12-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #40
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfzilla View Post

Seems like some on here have nothing but problems and some have NO issues. If you do your own work (especially for the non mechanical related issues) you can save a ton of cash. I can count how many times i have doded a 1k-3k repair by googling it, finding the part online and doing it myself.

The thing is with this 4.4 TT is that not quite sure if its hand built like the C63 Merc engine but in the M sport division it appears no two engines with the supplied seals and bearings can be quite the same to a tee.The rod bearings (skf)? for instance which in a few cases can suddenly cry enough for no reason are a concern and I implode on owners to take their cars to an official Bm station for service or an absolutely trusted non franchised mech.Also it is suicide to delay for a while the top up with 1ltr of oil warning. Carry it in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 10:30 PM   #41
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I was always against buying a warranty l with the thought process everything is usually fine if you take care of it.

My first 13 m5 I bought it under 50k miles no factory warranty I purchase some bullshit third party that did nothing. I didn't have any problems though luckily but during ownership had many friends and stories here on the forum of blown motors. I was always nervous to drive it but I put 20k miles no problem.

My second m5 also a 13 had more than 50k miles but I bought a aftermarket warranty through Lexus for almost 8k for another 4/48k. Lexus warranty is amazing.

For the peace of mind (for me) the warranty on this particular motor is needed And a absolute must. Too many blown motors for me to take that big of a gamble.

The 13 your looking at I've seen online too....looks good. Another bmw dealer has a 13 with 100k+ miles that sold for right around 27k. Back in January I was considering a 2013 with 88k miles at Toyota dealer that sold for 29k. You could maybe get them down to 25k?
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      12-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #42
Smurfzilla
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Appreciate the feedback, Smurfzilla. This is the same approach I've taken w/ E90 M3 ownership, although an F10 M5 seems like a "whole 'nother playing field". FYI - I'm in Raleigh too, the M5 I was looking at is at Leith in Raleigh. Talk to Ales, he's a good dude.
Thats whats up. I just started working again so I gotta dig myself out of a hole and I have a motorcycle to sell.

My wife, son and daughter are all fighting over my 335i (and I was gonna sell it privately) so if I end up giving it to one of them then I'll need to delay buying one for a bit so I can come up wit ha decent downpayment.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #43
Smurfzilla
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
I was always against buying a warranty l with the thought process everything is usually fine if you take care of it.

My first 13 m5 I bought it under 50k miles no factory warranty I purchase some bullshit third party that did nothing. I didn't have any problems though luckily but during ownership had many friends and stories here on the forum of blown motors. I was always nervous to drive it but I put 20k miles no problem.

My second m5 also a 13 had more than 50k miles but I bought a aftermarket warranty through Lexus for almost 8k for another 4/48k. Lexus warranty is amazing.

For the peace of mind (for me) the warranty on this particular motor is needed And a absolute must. Too many blown motors for me to take that big of a gamble.

The 13 your looking at I've seen online too....looks good. Another bmw dealer has a 13 with 100k+ miles that sold for right around 27k. Back in January I was considering a 2013 with 88k miles at Toyota dealer that sold for 29k. You could maybe get them down to 25k?

I was of the same mind as well. My wife bought a 13 Explorer sport a few years ago and got an aftermarket warranty (I bit my tongue).....and she needed a new bottom end after a year (Uncommon issue with the timing components that required removing the motor and replacing a bunch of bottom end parts). It would've cost about 7k.....ended up costing us 700 bux (Had some other non warranty work done at the same time).

Message received. Unless the price for a 3rd party warranty is retarded high I think I'll bite the bullet for piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #44
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep

My car just came out of the shop. Ignition coils failed on cylinder 3 and 6. Replaced under aftermarket warranty. I had to pay for the spark plugs on both banks.
Appreciate 0