M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #67
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay2nak View Post
why 112? why not 111, 110, 99, 85???

lmao yep. 75 is reckless driving.
I was reminded twice last year...

112 MPH rounds to 180 clicks per hour? Nice round number.
But 200 is rounderer. Should have gone for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:14 PM   #68
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

This conversation reminds me of the gun control, I mean gun safety, I mean reasonable gun safety arguments.

There is not a single individual that needs to go over 80mph and should there ever be they should be mandated to take a two week course and test demonstrating their ability. That's sensible car safety law making.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      03-06-2019, 11:58 PM   #69
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Japan had has this limit on their vehicles for a long time 180kph IIRC
As long as there is an override in case you do need some speed , but I doubt anyone buying a volvo would even notice
Police cars here are only factory tuned. If you can do better than 180K they can't catch you, so they don't even try.

- Han
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #70
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have never driven quite that fast and don't expect to. But I would be concerned about what could happen on a 75 mph road when passing if someone coming in the other direction suddenly appeared and the only safe way out was to floor the accelerator and my last memory before the end was that the car suddenly stopped accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #71
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I have never driven quite that fast and don't expect to. But I would be concerned about what could happen on a 75 mph road when passing if someone coming in the other direction suddenly appeared and the only safe way out was to floor the accelerator and my last memory before the end was that the car suddenly stopped accelerating.
Isn't this just sort of like driving a Wrangler?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #72
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

You can drive at any speed you like if you fear for your life.

112mph is not enough if the situation arises.

Last edited by The0pportunist; 03-07-2019 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #73
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Nah. More like a Yugo.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #74
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
But I would be concerned about what could happen on a 75 mph road when passing if someone coming in the other direction suddenly appeared and the only safe way out was to floor the accelerator and my last memory before the end was that the car suddenly stopped accelerating.
If you find yourself in that spot, you are definately unfit to drive because then you clearly picked the wrong spot to overtake.
Also, accelerating from 75 to over 112mph takes so long, that braking would have always been the better option.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #75
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
I dont really understand what your trying to say,

what car suddenly stopped accelerating? Your car?

If the car youre passing, or the one coming in opposite direction stopped accelerating, that would be good for you, you have more room to pass
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #76
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
This conversation reminds me of the gun control, I mean gun safety, I mean reasonable gun safety arguments.

There is not a single individual that needs to go over 80mph and should there ever be they should be mandated to take a two week course and test demonstrating their ability. That's sensible car safety law making.
But this isn't only about limiting top speed. This is Volvo "starting the conversation" about limiting speed in situations where some unknown person or group decides. Do you know who you'd contact if you find an error in their decision to govern your car to 25 MPH in some geofenced area?
      03-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #77
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
I don’t like Volvo anyway, but the bottom line is that I simply wouldn’t buy a car that has been so severely neutered. Hell, most SUVs can do 112. I want the most performance out of the car that I can get, in light of the equipment I have purchased.

Unlike many others who have commented here, I strike a different balance between liberty and safety. I really value freedom and autonomy, and I don’t willingly part with it easily. Freedom is not free, and I’m happy to live with the risks that freedom entails. Where you strike the balance between safety and freedom is a grey area involving value judgments and there are no right answers, but government control of my car’s performance through geofencing or other means is way over the line for me. I don’t want private manufacturers doing it either. Hopefully robust demand for good performance cars that are not neutered will continue during my lifetime, and manufacturers will meet this demand.

For those who want a neutered Volvo, fine by me. Live and let live.
      03-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #78
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
I don’t like Volvo anyway, but the bottom line is that I simply wouldn’t buy a car that has been so severely neutered. Hell, most SUVs can do 112. I want the most performance out of the car that I can get, in light of the equipment I have purchased.

Unlike many others who have commented here, I strike a different balance between liberty and safety. I really value freedom and autonomy, and I don’t willingly part with it easily. Freedom is not free, and I’m happy to live with the risks that freedom entails. Where you strike the balance between safety and freedom is a grey area involving value judgments and there are no right answers, but government control of my car’s performance through geofencing or other means is way over the line for me. I don’t want private manufacturers doing it either. Hopefully robust demand for good performance cars that are not neutered will continue during my lifetime, and manufacturers will meet this demand.

For those who want a neutered Volvo, fine by me. Live and let live.
You already drive a car that is very much limited or altered through legal requirements/government control in one way or another.

I think its really funny that mainly americans object to this with speedlimits often not exceeding 70 or 75mph
Talk about government control. A car not capable of exceeding 112mph?!? GOD forbid!!!!
But 70-75mph speed limits is no problem
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #79
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
You already drive a car that is very much limited or altered through legal requirements/government control in one way or another.

I think its really funny that mainly americans object to this with speedlimits often not exceeding 70 or 75mph
Talk about government control. A car not capable of exceeding 112mph?!? GOD forbid!!!!
But 70-75mph speed limits is no problem
You seem to be making a number of incorrect assumptions and I don’t really see you making a point. I’m not in favor of a universal 75mph speed limit. I’d much rather have a US Autobahn. But there are speed limits on many portions of the Autobahn too, and I don’t have a problem with speed limits in urban and congested areas where it is necessary to facilitate reasonable and orderly traffic flow. This of course has nothing to do with whether I want a neutered car.

I’m also not in favor of a great number of US regulations on a whole array of subjects, including cars. So again, I’m not getting your point. The fact that I am only one voter and that the regulatory environment has progressed beyond where I would like it certainly does not mean that I should favor more of the same.
      03-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #80
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
You seem to be making a number of incorrect assumptions and I don’t really see you making a point. I’m not in favor of a universal 75mph speed limit. I’d much rather have a US Autobahn. But there are speed limits on many portions of the Autobahn too, and I don’t have a problem with speed limits in urban and congested areas where it is necessary to facilitate reasonable and orderly traffic flow. This of course has nothing to do with whether I want a neutered car.

I’m also not in favor of a great number of US regulations on a whole array of subjects, including cars. So again, I’m not getting your point. The fact that I am only one voter and that the regulatory environment has progressed beyond where I would like it certainly does not mean that I should favor more of the same.
Ok, but there is just no way for you as an american to legally use that +112mph on the public road. So if you're that much against it, I can only presume that you're planning to break the law by speeding in an excess of over 37/42mph. Otherwise it wouldnt matter.
And I think thats an amount that is in no situation tolerable.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #81
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
But this isn't only about limiting top speed. This is Volvo "starting the conversation" about limiting speed in situations where some unknown person or group decides. Do you know who you'd contact if you find an error in their decision to govern your car to 25 MPH in some geofenced area?
I know exactly what its about, I was being facectious. I can say in my life I have never exceeded the speed limit in school areas because I respect the law and its intended purpose. All these proposals are extremely dangerous on many levels.
Appreciate 1
GuidoK10473.00
      03-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #82
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Nah. More like a Yugo.
We had it triangulated. Looks like a Yugo is good for 110 and a JL Wrangler is good for 115, although that's gotta be a scary experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #83
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok, but there is just no way for you as an american to legally use that +112mph on the public road. So if you're that much against it, I can only presume that you're planning to break the law by speeding in an excess of over 37/42mph. Otherwise it wouldnt matter.
And I think thats an amount that is in no situation tolerable.
Yeah whatever dude. You live your life and I’ll live mine.
      03-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #84
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Yeah whatever dude. You live your life and I’ll live mine.
Main difference is of course that I can easily pop over the border and do 112+mph on the 200 mile unlimited stretch of autobahn here next to my door.
But seriously, I see almost no one here in europe making a fuss about this, except for use on the autobahn.
But over here I guess we get less excited about things we either can't use or are unethical to use.
So I have no problem with a car being limited to 112mph as soon as I leave the unlimited stretches of the autobahn or leave a racetrack.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #85
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Don't you know us Americans LOVE the drag strip? Forget turning the car, we love us some 1/4 miles!

I'm being partially serious though. There are legal places where some of our cars are capable of breaking 112mph, like a drag strip, or a track.

It just goes back to: would you ever see a Volvo at the drag strip? Maybe I'll go search youtube now...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #86
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post

I'm being partially serious though. There are legal places where some of our cars are capable of breaking 112mph, like a drag strip, or a track.
Sure, but thats not the public road.
Volvo has no issue with going as fast as you can on a track or dragstrip.
This is also not a valid comparison as
1. dragstrip and track are layed out as such that these speeds are relatively safe for driver and spectators
2. other users of the track expect these speeds.

This is purely a discussion about speeds on the public roads.
And it gets really dangerous when your car has a velocity higher than 50kph over the other cars (thats why volvo set that limit at 112mph/180kph). Thats 50kph faster than the max speed limit on highways in a lot of european countries and the advisorary speed on unlimited stretches on the autobahn (yes, there really is such a thing!).
Other road users just dont expect other cars to go that fast (except on unlimited autobahn stretches), and thus dont anticipate on that.
There is a reason that in germany on the unlimited stretches doing over 130kph, one has an aggravated legal responsibility. And that can cost you dearly when getting into a crash, even if its not directly your fault. Most people outside germany don't even know this.

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-07-2019 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #87
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
How does the Volvo know I'm at the track? GPS?
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #88
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

Haha, I bet most of the limit supporters out there would support law enforcement being able to remotely shut down your vehicles. Look at the big picture folks, start by leaving the tri-state area and California, not sure about Europe. I did 15 years ago and I'll never go back.
Appreciate 1