M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #23
CarmelByTheCornfields
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F25

The 360 degree parking camera, I now hate driving anything else without it, even when I do nothing has matched smoothness of video. Travel & Comfort system would be a close second, The jacket hanger has been a life saver.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #24
Mdlooker
Private
Rep
Drives: F16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post
Amazing!

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

I concur with you all on a ton of those things.

- Someone mentioned the way the door sounds when it closes. I have the soft closing doors. If you haven't tried them, they are a must. Simply latch them and they close snug by themselves.
Haha, yes I did mention it—the cabin just seem so secure and tight after my soft-close doors do their thing. I close my doors more softly now but not to a click when getting in. Now, when closing the door from the outside, I am more prone to clicking it for it to close. Love that feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #25
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

The X5 is my first BMW.

There are many “little things” I appreciate; however, the one feature that I frequently take advantage of are the hot/cold (red/blue) dials that enable further temperature adjustment. I definitely appreciate these dials more than I expected to.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:37 AM   #26
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

My '15 328i is my first BMW too. I've appreciated all sorts of things in my cars, but the big thing on this one is the power -- power that's available when you need it, not because you slammed your foot all the way to the floor or downshifted to get enough RPM to go up a steep bridge. The 240 HP in this car is the most I've had in a vehicle, and it's astonishing.

I also appreciate that the Continental 17" run-flat tires are not as hard and stiff-riding as I'd thought they'd be. On my test drive, I kept expecting to be jarred or to hear a lot of road noise; and I didn't. That was on smooth suburban roads. On the shell-blasted "roads" (more like "cart tracks") I deal with in my neighborhood and around my work, they are still reasonably quiet, and the car doesn't rattle my teeth. Amazing.

I don't care for the orange lighting at night, but the fact that the odometer, outside temp, clock, etc., change to white with morning light is a pleasant surprise.

It's early days yet, only three weeks since I bought the car, and no doubt I will have other comments as the months go on. But every day I understand more and more why the cars have such an enthusiastic following.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 03-29-2019 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #27
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

The F8x dual personality. Everything in sport or sport+ and traction off. The car makes you stay on your game at all times. turn in, hit the throttle, wait for the turbo to spool and be ready to catch the oversteer

then you can put everything in comfort and listen to XM Chill with hardly any exhaust drone in the cabin.

Last edited by Humdizzle; 03-29-2019 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #28
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

If you hold down the unlock button for 5 seconds, it unlocks the car and rolls down the windows. Its a minor thing, but in the hot Nevada desert, its really awesome to start letting the hot, stagnant air out as you're walking up to the car after a long day in the parking lot under the sun.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #29
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

The design of the cockpit. I don't have to lean forward to reach for any button on the infotainment or climate control. The whole thing is just designed for the driver! And the thickness of the steering wheel, it just feels solid. I still haven't experience it from another brand, maybe the Mercedes but can't recall.

One thing I do hate though, is the sun-visor. I'm 5'6" and I don't sit too high; but every time I swing the visor to the side it will hit my forehead. Same thing for my lady's Q50! But I don't have that problem on my GS400.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #30
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
If you hold down the unlock button for 5 seconds, it unlocks the car and rolls down the windows. Its a minor thing, but in the hot Nevada desert, its really awesome to start letting the hot, stagnant air out as you're walking up to the car after a long day in the parking lot under the sun.
Or, if you have Comfort Access, leaving your finger on the ribbed portion of the door handle will close them. (The fob button doesn't work for this unless, as people have mentioned here, you code it in.) Of course I seek out shade when I park and use sunshades front and rear behind tinted windows. But living in the Pesthole of the American South, I've wanted a windows-down-from-outside feature in a car for decades.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #31
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
One of the great advantages of the phev (such as the 330e or 530e). In the even hotter Arizona desert, I use the phone app to remotely turn on the AC. Works great. For example, walking of the 17th green on a 110 degree day, I turn on the AC. By the time I get to the car, it is cool and comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #32
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
One of the great advantages of the phev (such as the 330e or 530e). In the even hotter Arizona desert, I use the phone app to remotely turn on the AC. Works great. For example, walking of the 17th green on a 110 degree day, I turn on the AC. By the time I get to the car, it is cool and comfortable.
Speaking of this, has anybody used the comfort ventilation feature? I know it doesn't turn on the A/C, and it uses battery power, so you'd better drive the car for a while after using it. But it sounds useful. If I can set the timer to start at 4 pm, and come out at 4:30, open the windows, and get into a less-hot car, that'd be great.

I know it runs for 30 minutes -- or can you set an "off" time too? If not, can you interrupt it if you happen to come back early to the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #33
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
I have driven many BMWs over the years, but my e92M is the first M car I've both driven and owned. What I like is the BMW-ness of the car, which to me distills down to the following:
--The fact that the car is available in a stripped down trim---competition package, but cloth seats, manual, no i-drive. That's a major element that sold me on my particular car.
--Motorsports specific engine. It may not have the grunt of a LS/T-series SBC, Hellcat motor, or VooDoo engine, but there's something just special about the S65 that no longer exists in the world of non-exotic cars. It's the first car I've owned where the sound of the engine is more exciting to me than the exhaust note
--The chassis. Best stock setup I've ever experienced. The front end bite is excellent and I'm also impressed with how tail happy the car is given how high up and low the torque is. In addition, the ride/handling balance is superb. That to me is the THE signature of a performance BMW. It behaves exactly how you would expect a higher end performance car should. It's just easy and it works. There's no excuses to make.
--I like the driving position. It's not low like the F8x, but it also gives me a greater sense of where the corners of the car are at. I know some people disagree completely, but the driving position makes me more confident in driving it quickly

I'd like to sell my car for a C7 vette, but to be honest, I don't have a great desire to make such a move.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #34
Bufalo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Here's a little thing that I was just thinking about earlier today - the exhaust is real, it's not a fancy "finisher" with a visible crusty pipe sticking in there. The tips are actually the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #35
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
In no particular order, and really most of these features I had no idea about before buying the car. I bought the car because I fell in love with its driving dynamics. These features are just a bonus and for a 2007 are truly ahead of their time. Most Japanese cars have few of these features:

Rain sensing wipers, residual heater, self leveling/adjusting headlights, xenon headlights, cbm oil, oil level, maint reminder, brake indicator, hooks in trunk, tools in trunk, rear vents, rear cup holders, folding mirrors, dimming mirror, fob window open/close, flash light, 2 subwoofers under seat, telescoping steering, two power outlets, tilt headrest, 3 blink indicator, fuel economy, Ecu check, 4wd opt, ski pass through with belt, tire pressure monitoring using tire rotation not transponders.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #36
dbldare
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus Aurelius View Post
Speaking of this, has anybody used the comfort ventilation feature? I know it doesn't turn on the A/C, and it uses battery power, so you'd better drive the car for a while after using it. But it sounds useful. If I can set the timer to start at 4 pm, and come out at 4:30, open the windows, and get into a less-hot car, that'd be great.

I know it runs for 30 minutes -- or can you set an "off" time too? If not, can you interrupt it if you happen to come back early to the car?
I totally forgot about this feature, thanks for reminding me. Yes, I've used this in my 4.8i, but not the M yet. Same cabin so I assume it'll be the same. I usually open the vent on the sun roof when I turn on the auto climate feature. BTW speaking of the sunroof/vent, when your sunroof is completely closed, press the open/close slider (press on it, don't push forward or backward) and it will open the dual vents and crack the sun shade.

mecheng77 - I think you can pretty much "drop the mic" now.... Nice!

dbl
Appreciate 1
mecheng771005.00
      03-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #37
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post
I totally forgot about this feature, thanks for reminding me. Yes, I've used this in my 4.8i, but not the M yet. Same cabin so I assume it'll be the same. I usually open the vent on the sun roof when I turn on the auto climate feature. BTW speaking of the sunroof/vent, when your sunroof is completely closed, press the open/close slider (press on it, don't push forward or backward) and it will open the dual vents and crack the sun shade.

mecheng77 - I think you can pretty much "drop the mic" now.... Nice!

dbl
Good point. In very hot weather I always crack open the sunroof when parking.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #38
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I like the firm and direct shift quality of the 8HP ZF box in the G01.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #39
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Good point. In very hot weather I always crack open the sunroof when parking.
Unfortunately, in Da Swamp, rain (though rarer than it used to be) can happen any time. And I wouldn't put it past an anti-BMW goofball to drop something unpleasant into the cabin as he walks past.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #40
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

M1/M2 buttons
Customizable steering , throttle, suspension, shift ferocity, and traction control
The light up M3 seat badge
Powered rear sunshade
Carbon fiber roof
The sound of the indicator inside the car
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:34 AM   #41
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Two sounds the engine makes: the basic steady purr as I sit at a light, and the eager growl as, in Sport mode, I accelerate. And these are noticeable even with the windows closed. Once my tinted windows set, I can open the windows again, and I expect the sounds to be even more exciting.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #42
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

This really isn't little; it's at the core of why I bought this car.

Yesterday afternoon coming back from Target during rush hour, I was on a six-lane N-S artery, speed limit 45, and that local rarity, smoothly paved. It was dry and sunny. Traffic past the local Walmart was heavy, so everyone was at 35. Just past the WM, though, I found myself in the right lane behind an MB GLK that -- with no one ahead, mind you -- was still pootling along at 35. A large white truck came up on my left, but then swung off to a branch road.

Left lane: clear. Ahead of GLK: clear.

So I clicked the turn signal, dived into the left lane, and . . . well, I didn't floor it, but I put my right foot down. In an eyeblink, it seemed, I was doing 55. The BMW swooped past the MB like a falcon in flight. A quick flick of the turn signal "right," leave plenty of space ahead of the MB, and zip, I was doing 45 and watching the soccer mom's MB dwindle in my mirror. All in perfect safety, too.

The delight lasted until I had to fit myself in line for a right turn at the major intersection's light a quarter mile ahead. Ah, who am I kidding? It lasted all evening. That surge of power when I wanted it, no fiddling or downshifting, just "Warp speed, Mr. Data!" --

-- that's why we love these cars, isn't it?
Appreciate 1
MassNerd171.00
      04-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #43
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhjr01462 View Post
The heated steering wheel (especially when it is below 10deg F)
Man that is truly something I'm sad my car doesn't have, it can get -30c in winter. As well as radar cruise ceontrol.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #44
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Build quality...
Appreciate 0