Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #1
M6Havana
M6 f12 Havana
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab

Jerk when downshifting

Hi chaps, read on the forum lots of different things relating to gearbox issues and wanted to tell you what mine does if i need it checking out.

First up my gearbox was “lazy” as the previous owner drove it like a granny so it had a relearn done which made it better 80%.

1. I would say 70% it pulls away in 2nd even after the relearn, thats in the lowest settings.
2. If im coasting with foot off the gas and slowing, the car will hop and jerk i guess trying to keep the speed up to stay in the gear rather than changing down (around 15-25mph) ive read its common as such, but is that really a normal thing? Im under BMW warrenty so looking to see if i need to be raising it with them
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 02:40 AM   #2
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

I had similar issues when I got mine. I drove it harder for a bit and it actually got better too but in manual, especially in 1st, I have to be super sensitive about suddenly getting off the gas to prevent lurching. 2nd is much easier to drive smoothly but still lurches depending. I also have a clunk going into 5th sometimes a cruising but not loud.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
540wagon
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Drive in manual for a few and she will be good to go. And rip on that sweet thang
Appreciate 0