Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

Vanos issues?

Well guys this morning I started up the car and had horrible cold start up almost if it was running on half the cylinders and soon after the DTM came up. Got around to checking the codes and I had these:
131601 Vanos exhaust 2, cold start not controllable
120408 charging pressure control: switch off as consequence
120908 charging pressure control 2: switch off as consequence

cleared out the code and tried to start again and wallah, she came right up to full song... Opened up the hood and noticed an extra tick coming from the passenger side bank and when I opened the oil fill cap and the tick was quite loud.
I decided then that this was best not left to me and I took it to a well renowned car mechanic in my area. I warned them about my worries of a bent rod from the ticking noise and they looked it over. After some time they decided that they believe my issue is the vanos solenoid and assured me that they are confident there isn't a bent rod. I guess my question is if you guys think that those solenoids could be causing that tick and if anyone has had similar issues could maybe weigh in? thanks for any help you might have.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update:
So now that the problem has been remedied for quite some time I've decided to add to the post.
Once in the shop I informed them of the ticking noise and all of my other worries and left them too it.

Later that day the manager gave me a call asking me about what my maintenance intervals are on oil changes. I informed him of my 5k oil change practice, which he was glad to hear because the number one killer of the vanos valves on bmw is people doing 9k plus oil changes like the manufacturer recommends. he explained the tech couldn't find anything out of the normal with the car at that moment and their code scanner couldn't find any new codes being generated. After talking further he said that clearly the vanos valve is acting up, and was worried their was sludge build up on the valve causing it to stick. So they could either change it or take it to the local BMW dealership and run a vanos valve test. I opted to run the test, so I canceled my oil change and diff fluid change and he it switched to a vanos performance test.

So the day comes where the dealership runs the test and I get a call. He says that they are fairly stumped on it because the valves come back as operating flawlessly. So he recommended getting the oil changed on it and driving it until/if it happened again. I asked for the oil filter to be cut open and inspected for shavings/glinting that could be caused by the metal on metal tick I was hearing.

So the tech performed the oil change and inspection and nothing was out of the usual expect one thing, the oil was oddly dark. This was odd to me because I never noticed the oil being as dark as it was, that was until I did some self reflection. One week my last oil change I added a bottle of seafoam oil treatment into the oil to help break up any sludge that might have been in the oil. Well I think I got what I was wanting but it also just loosened up some of that sludge across the last 5k miles and all culminated in the issue I had. Oh and that tick is gone, which after talking with the tech he said he never heard any ticks out of the normal and that any tick that was there could have been caused by poor oil flow through the valve that has cleared out by the time they got it.

I guess in the end I will chalk it up to some self sabotage.
Appreciate 3
AHall961.00
SSJAR26.50
M5Rick58412.50
      01-19-2021, 06:16 AM   #3
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Does sound like a Vanos issue. Glad it's sorted without spending a lot of money. At least now you know that if you get a similar problem again, to look at the Vanos first.

How many miles on the engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Does sound like a Vanos issue. Glad it's sorted without spending a lot of money. At least now you know that if you get a similar problem again, to look at the Vanos first.

How many miles on the engine?
just at 66k, and definitely happy with it. I've put a thousand miles on the car since and honestly it runs like a champ now. before cold starts weren't erratic but they were not as smooth as they are now. I think there might have been some sludge in the valve that is now all cleared out.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 06:18 AM   #5
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
That's good feedback. Thanks for posting about it!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 05:15 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Thought I'd bring this not so recent Vanos problem thread up to maybe help you people.
Appreciate 0