M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

02-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

is european delivery available for f10 m5 uk owners

wanted to know more about ED.. i live in the uk, and wondered is euro delivery available to uk customers as i only seem to see american m5 owners doing it.

is there a cost to do ed, or do you just specify you want to collect from germany and just book a flight to collect it?
what things are there to consider?
is it only available to those who pay outright for their m5, or those who pay monthly on it?

basically any feedback would be great!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

As far as I know the European Delivery program is only for the North American market (U.S. and Canada). It has its origins going back to the 1950s when American GIs bought European cars to take back to the U.S. Audi, Benz, BMW, Porche, Volvo, etc. have aimed this program to entice the North American market, most especially the U.S. which constitutes the most profitable market for European manufactured cars.
      02-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

U.s.a.! U.s.a.! U.s.a.!

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Munich delivery is available for many European countries. However I don't know about the UK and about the cost.

My guess would be that it is cost neutral and they don't cover the ferry ticket - if they do it.

Try emailing BMW UK about it, and if that fails contact BMW Welt and see if you can buy a RHD car direct from them or Niederlassung.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
As far as I know the European Delivery program is only for the North American market (U.S. and Canada). It has its origins going back to the 1950s when American GIs bought European cars to take back to the U.S. Audi, Benz, BMW, Porche, Volvo, etc. have aimed this program to entice the North American market, most especially the U.S. which constitutes the most profitable market for European manufactured cars.
It is NOT only for USA and Canada customers but for several countries in the EU, actually 80% of the EDs are German customers.

YES, German customers can also do ED because it is about the whole BMW Experience at the BMW Welt.

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEOF40 FS M3 View Post
It is NOT only for USA and Canada customers but for several countries in the EU, actually 80% of the EDs are German customers.

YES, German customers can also do ED because it is about the whole BMW Experience at the BMW Welt.
You are probably talking about just the delivery from the BMW Welt center not the real ED, such as ED pricing and that you get to drive and drop off the car at several drop off places in Europe then free shipping to the car's final destination, etc. German's doing BMW M5 ED will pay something like Euro 130,000.00 for the 2013 MY (compared to what a North American doing ED) -- that's more of a price shock and not an ED experience, AFAIAC.
      02-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
Quote:
You are probably talking about just the delivery from the BMW Welt center not the real ED, such as ED pricing and that you get to drive and drop off the car at several drop off places in Europe then free shipping to the car's final destination, etc. German's doing ED will pay something like Euro 130,000.00 for the car (compared to what a North American doing ED) -- that's more of a price shock and not an ED experience, AFAIAC.
Call it whatever you like ED, BMW Center pick up or whatever, but during my ED in January, all customers picking up cars came from Germany and other Europeans countries (from BMW Advisor) except me and they when thru the same experience at the BMW Welt...if they got a better price or not? or what they did after pick up that with their cars...it is irrelevant to me, experience is what you make out of it....I do agree with you 100% that the price difference between USA and the rest of the world is shocking for all customers outside of the USA, and the more expensive the worst it is...

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S

Last edited by ONEOF40 FS M3; 02-19-2013 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Of course Europeans, Asians, Africans, etc. can do "true" ED if the order originates from North America and the car's final destination is NA. The BMW site describes what the "true" ED experience entails:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...y/default.aspx
      02-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

The BMW Welt does deliveries for many european countries , the difference is that folks from Europe have to pay a charge for the delivery at the Welt (usually less than the delivery fee to the dealer).
You'd have to bring your own license plates etc.
Some countries (I believe UK is part of them) can't do delivery at the Welt due to tax/insurance reasons. Not sure there's an exhaustive list of the countries participating or not. But your local
dealer can find out for sure.

http://www.bmw-welt.com/en/automobil...ery/index.html

The experience at the Welt is the same for everyone, however they have to pickup the car and drive it "home" . BMW will not ship it to their "home" dealer
Nationality/citizenship has almost nothing to do with the delivery , as long as you have a valid visa/residence status (I'm from Germany living in Boston and have done several EDs )
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

jmh, thank you very much for enlightening us regarding European Delivery. I don't know if the OP (original poster) was asking about taking delivery from the Welt to drive back to the UK or for the North American brand of "European Delivery" as discussed in these forums. I did my ED October of last year driving from Munich to Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Southern France taking in several of the Alps passes. I have even seen some of the areas in the Alps where my group and I have skied (St. Moritz and Chamonix areas). Although I am familiar with the Alps, driving on the roads through it is a whole new experience and just added to the whole "European Delivery" experience. I will do it again when I order a new car from one of the major European manufacturers that offer such experience (and pricing).

Last edited by nybimmerfan; 02-19-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
jmh, thank you very much for enlightening us regarding European Delivery. I don't know if the OP (original poster) was asking about taking delivery from the Welt to drive back to the UK or for the North American brand of "European Delivery" as discussed in these forums. I did my ED October of last year driving from Munich to Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Southern France taking in several of the Alps passes. I have even seen some of the areas in the Alps where my group and I have skied (St. Moritz and Chamonix areas). Although I am familiar with the Alps, driving on the roads through it is a whole new experience and just added to the whole "European Delivery" experience. I will do it again when I order a new car from one of the major European manufacturers that offer such experience (and pricing).
thanks for all the feedback.
in regards to ED, i simply wanted to get a flight out to Munich and drive the car back to the uk, actually straight home to the uk. speaking to my local dealer they go they dont offer ed anymore for uk orders, but might be worth asking bmw uk direct.
As far i see it should be cost effective if anything for bmw to allow me to pick up the car, saves them on delivery to the uk. i just need valid licence plates, uk ones that is. munich from london is roughly 13 hrs on a straight drive so not far.. a few days of sight seeing and ferry back from calais to folkestone with the car (if it is in fact that easy), then drive straight home to london, would be a great experience imo.
Appreciate 0